Author Topic: The XP is falling! The XP is falling!  (Read 6862 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: The XP is falling! The XP is falling!
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2014, 01:19:24 AM »
So it looks like they will keep patching Microsoft Security Essentials, until July of next year.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/mmpc/archive/2014/01/15/microsoft-antimalware-support-for-windows-xp.aspx

Will it be relatively safe to keep using it for a while, then?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2014, 01:31:10 AM »
So it looks like they will keep patching Microsoft Security Essentials, until July of next year.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/mmpc/archive/2014/01/15/microsoft-antimalware-support-for-windows-xp.aspx

Will it be relatively safe to keep using it for a while, then?
If you keep it behind decent hardware firewalls, keep your browsers up to date and avoid doing stupid stuff, probably.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2014, 01:49:31 AM »
If you keep it behind decent hardware firewalls, keep your browsers up to date and avoid doing stupid stuff, probably.

A hardware firewall? ???

Didn't know that was a thing. Even with the extra expense of said firewall, that doesn't sound like a ringing endorsement.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 01:56:40 AM by fistful »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2014, 05:50:14 AM »
A hardware firewall? ???

It simply means a dedicated box performing firewall duties, as opposed to a software package attempting to do the same on the PC.  Because the OS gets the packets first, it's possible to be compromised despite the software if there's a vulnerability.  A separate hardware firewall means that the packets never reach the computer, thus no compromise.

On that end, do you have a router that does NAT?  If so, then you have a pretty effective hardware firewall.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2014, 08:54:05 AM »
As Firethorn says, most routers these days have some degree of firewall capabilities. Set that appliance up properly and you will keep out lots of creeping nasties.

It used to be that computers were most often directly exposed to the Internet with their own external IP addresses and everything. That meant that any port open on the OS and any glitch that was discovered could be open to attacks. Got to be so bad that some people would be supposedly infected during the OS installation process. Sticking everything behind a NAT appliance does a huge amount to help protect potentially at-risk computers. However, as soon as someone sits down at a connected machine there are new intrusion vectors that open. Browsers exploits are one problem to avoid, but you also have social engineering exploits ("You have a virus!  Click here to remove it!") and nincompooper to worry about - even on a fully patched and updated box.

Whatever computer or OS you choose, BACKUP YOUR STUFF.  Religiously.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2014, 10:12:23 AM »
You can try and run Shields Up to check your router's firewall status:

https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

As to Security Essentials, that's news to me. Does anyone know if it simply means MS Defender is taking over the duties? If so, does it run on Win7, or only Win8? I've been really happy with SE. I would hate to have to go through the current versions of third party stuff to see what I like and what is as clean and efficient as SE.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2014, 10:38:05 AM »

IE won't be getting updates, but who uses that unless they have to?
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2014, 10:41:14 AM »
but you also have social engineering exploits ("You have a virus!  Click here to remove it!") and nincompooper to worry about - even on a fully patched and updated box.

We got our first scam support call yesterday, a heavily accented (Indian?) voice claiming to be "Alex, from Windows Microsoft Support, about a problem on your computer."  

I was "curt" with him, after the wife handed the phone to me.

Whatever computer or OS you choose, BACKUP YOUR STUFF.  Religiously.

Multiple backups, to different drives, in different locations.  Using the standard software that comes with your OS (ntbackup, tar).
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 10:46:28 AM by lee n. field »

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2014, 10:43:26 AM »
As to Security Essentials, that's news to me. Does anyone know if it simply means MS Defender is taking over the duties? If so, does it run on Win7, or only Win8? I've been really happy with SE. I would hate to have to go through the current versions of third party stuff to see what I like and what is as clean and efficient as SE.

I think he means MSSE will support XP for an extended period, past XP's EOL support cliff.  Vista and 7 support is not in question, AFAIK.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 10:52:51 AM by lee n. field »

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2014, 11:02:00 AM »
I think he means MSSE will support XP for an extended period, past XP's EOL support cliff.  Vista and 7 support is not in question, AFAIK.

Ah, gotchya. Thanks.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2014, 05:28:49 PM »
You can try and run Shields Up to check your router's firewall status:

https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

Windows Defender runs with XP, I believe.

http://www.ehow.com/how_4912928_install-windows-defender-xp.html

I've already purchased a 3-pak of Win7 upgrades. I used one to boost my wife's notebook from Vista to Win7, and that went smoothly. But everything I've read tells me that an upgrade from XP to Win7 (or Win8) cannot be done transparently, so you have to first back up all data files, then do the update, then reinstall all programs, and then reload all the data files.

That's a lot of work, so I've been stalling. I don't Skype, I don't Facebook, I don't play on-line games, and I run a decent anti-virus (Avast!). I use Firefox as my browser. My system passed the Shields Up scan, so I guess my DSL modem/router is doing something. How unsafe am I -- really?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2014, 05:30:00 PM »
We got our first scam support call yesterday, a heavily accented (Indian?) voice claiming to be "Alex, from Windows Microsoft Support, about a problem on your computer."  

I was "curt" with him, after the wife handed the phone to me.

Your first? I've been getting those calls for more than a year.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2014, 10:27:56 AM »
I was planning to just ignore this on the church computer for one more year, as long as we're getting MSE updates (the computer is on a NAT router.)  Preacher thinks that's a bad idea, and I don't really disagree...  The hardware is easily enough to run Windows 7*, so I went to MS website to see what the XP -> 7 upgrade price is... [drumroll]

The only thing they have now is Win 8.  [barf]  Also from what I've read, there was no way to slip install 7 over XP, you have to wipe the disk and reinstall all your apps and data...

I would say go Linux, but the big printer/copier only has Windows drivers.

Is there a way to still get legit Win 7 DVD's for, I dunno, $100 or less?

*Dell desktop with fast 2-core Intel processor, 3GB of RAM, 160 GB HDD, and a cheap Dell graphics card (and a 3.5" FDD that we still use occasionally)
"It's good, though..."

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2014, 10:38:33 AM »
You can use lp under linux to print to just about any printer.

Chris

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2014, 10:50:56 AM »

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2014, 10:52:40 AM »
This is a Sharp MFP, and while it supports LPR protocol, it uses its own proprietary graphics language rather than PCL, Postscript, etc.  (it uses the PC for a graphics engine.  There's a name for that, and it escapes me right now)

I will check out "lp", but don't have much hope.  Thanks.
"It's good, though..."

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2014, 11:15:35 AM »
OEM version. It locks to the CPU, but it's $99.

http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Premium-System-Builder-Packaging/dp/B00H09BB16/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1395586166&sr=8-1&keywords=windows+7

I have that version.  It doesn't permanently lock to a CPU, you can move it to other computers.  I've used the same OEM copy to install on two different CPUs (serially, not simultaneously).  I actually built the first machine, installed it and ran it for about a year when the system failed.  I pulled the drive and installed it into the new system and just booted it up, let it load the new drivers, re-registered it online (just entered the code, no charge), and used it without incident for months.  When I did get around to re-installing Windows, I used the same OEM DVD to perform the install.

Chris

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2014, 12:33:53 PM »
I have that version.  It doesn't permanently lock to a CPU, you can move it to other computers.  I've used the same OEM copy to install on two different CPUs (serially, not simultaneously).  I actually built the first machine, installed it and ran it for about a year when the system failed.  I pulled the drive and installed it into the new system and just booted it up, let it load the new drivers, re-registered it online (just entered the code, no charge), and used it without incident for months.  When I did get around to re-installing Windows, I used the same OEM DVD to perform the install.

Chris

Good to know, thanks. By re-registering, do you mean a step differently than just reinstalling on another machine and going through the regular validation process? That's the only version I buy when I build machines.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2014, 12:36:51 PM »
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5213931&CatId=4622

We could probably buy it cheaper direct from MS with our discount... I will check into that (but I don't think they'll sell it)
"It's good, though..."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #44 on: March 23, 2014, 12:39:24 PM »
I just upgraded from Win2K a couple years ago  ;/
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #45 on: March 23, 2014, 12:49:29 PM »
I still have w2k on 1 computer that I seldom turn on -- I think 2k was the ultimate version of Windows.  It just worked, without a lot of fat.
"It's good, though..."

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #46 on: March 23, 2014, 01:11:51 PM »
I was planning to just ignore this on the church computer for one more year, as long as we're getting MSE updates (the computer is on a NAT router.)  Preacher thinks that's a bad idea, and I don't really disagree...  The hardware is easily enough to run Windows 7*, so I went to MS website to see what the XP -> 7 upgrade price is... [drumroll]

The only thing they have now is Win 8.  [barf]

Get 8 Pro, and "downgrade" to win7.

Also from what I've read, there was no way to slip install 7 over XP, you have to wipe the disk and reinstall all your apps and data...

You can get to 7 from Vista.  XP requires a repave.

I would say go Linux, but the big printer/copier only has Windows drivers.

I'd say, try it anyway with an Ubuntu live cd, see if it works.

Is there a way to still get legit Win 7 DVD's for, I dunno, $100 or less?

Not quite that cheap.  Walmart has OEM 7 Pro on their site for, I think, $139.

*Dell desktop with fast 2-core Intel processor, 3GB of RAM, 160 GB HDD, and a cheap Dell graphics card (and a 3.5" FDD that we still use occasionally)

should be ok
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 01:36:33 PM by lee n. field »

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #47 on: March 23, 2014, 01:14:27 PM »
I still have w2k on 1 computer that I seldom turn on -- I think 2k was the ultimate version of Windows.  It just worked, without a lot of fat.

agree.  2k was a sweet spot in the line.  With a few annoyances I'd run into every now and again.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #48 on: March 23, 2014, 02:02:01 PM »

My old tower was turned off for about a year after I got an XP laptop.  Last time I tried to start it, it suddenly can't find any hard drives anymore  =(  =(  =(
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #49 on: March 23, 2014, 02:09:38 PM »
Good to know, thanks. By re-registering, do you mean a step differently than just reinstalling on another machine and going through the regular validation process? That's the only version I buy when I build machines.

With the fresh install, it was no different than the initial build and registration process.  With the "build, then swap into a new system" process, it pointed out that it was registered with a different CPU and I had to re-validate it.  Nothing more than entering the registration code.

Chris