Author Topic: Cold weather gear  (Read 6835 times)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
Cold weather gear
« on: November 18, 2007, 06:33:36 PM »
I've lived my entire life in the desert. Arizona, 29 Palms, Iraq; every winter I've been through has been in a place where a day time high in the 40's is about as bad as it gets and rain is a rarity.

And now I'm in the great wet Pacific Northwest and it's getting chilly. I'm in the last town in western WA before you cross the mountain pass into the dry side. Decent elevation and we get lots of snow and rain. And I'm coming to realize I have no practical clothes for protracted cold/wet weather.

I've never owned a pair of gloves other than work gloves chosen solely for protection, never owned a scarf, never owned a hat or jacket that I could wear multiple days in the rain. I literally have no basis for comparison here.

So what's worked for you? I'm not looking for expedition gear, just normal everyday clothes that work well in wet and cold places.

Saw this at Big 5 today, seems like a good 2nd or 3rd layer. And I've used their hot weather stuff before and it works really well. Bit spendy, but you've gotta pay for quality I suppose. Under Armour hoodie

Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Cold weather gear
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2007, 06:38:55 PM »
Anymore, my cold weather add on stuff comes from Land's End.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2007, 06:54:42 PM »
I live in Iowa.

My everyday cold winter wear is:

A warm coat, I have a insulated leather car coat that I normally wear but I'm probably going to replace it with a Colombia ski coat or Goretex of something similar. I need something that will shed water and lighter weight that my leather coat.

I also have a couple pairs of fleece glove and I have a pair of 360 behind the head ear muffs.

I normally also wear Goretex hiking boots once the snow starts to fly, I have a pair of Columbia snow boots if needed. I'm also probably going to get a pair of Bean boots to wear to the bus stop and leave a pair of shoes at work. I hate wet feet.

I have expedition type stuff for my hunting and other winter recreation.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2007, 07:26:45 PM »
Depends how cold.

Mildly chilly, leather A2 jacket or black Hugo Boss leather 3/4 coat.

Mildly chilly and wet, Spyder ski jacket.
Bit colder, with liner in it.
For formal, long formal London Fog raincoat with or without liner

Bitingly cold, pea coat. Real pea coat, like 10lbs of wool.  grin

Even colder, B3 shearling bomber jacket, or formal, thick opera coat

WTF step outside and die, N-3B ECWS parka

For gloves, those vary from driving gloves to dress gloves to casual to thick ski gloves. Leather gloves will come apart if ice gets on them, that melts, and then it freezes again if you leave them in the car. Waterproof ski gloves are needed to help clear snow off your car without getting your sleeves soaked.

Hat is important when it's really cold, but the behind-the-head earmuffs are enough most days. That's the first thing you'll notice, cold ears HURT. There is no such thing as a fashionable men's hat anymore, unfortunately. Winter hats are mostly limited to slacker stocking caps, "I'm not robbing the bank, really" watch caps, and "extra from Fargo" bomber caps with earflaps. I think people long ago wore a fedora with earmuffs, but that's long gone.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2007, 08:13:42 PM »
Balog, the UA "Hoody" might be really nice.  But if you're new to the game, just get a twelve-dollar hooded sweatshirt at K-Mart.  See if you like that sort of outerwear.  You might learn that you prefer a jacket and a stocking cap/watch cap. 

That's the same advice I would give if someone was new to guns, cameras, cars, computers, etc.  Don't spend a lot of money on something, if you don't know what you like yet.

(Full disclosure:  My first firearm was a brand-new Steyr rifle.  I traded it for an old Mauser and an 870.  I'm much happier that way.)   smiley
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2007, 08:20:18 PM »
Cool and wet: softshell technical coat, with a fleece lining

Colder: Leather jacket or Carhartt

Really cold: Leather jacket or Carhartt and sweatshirt

Gloves: leather with 40 or so gram Thinsulate, work well in any temp

Boots: Leather covering ankles, gore-tex.  No insulation is really necessary unless you are sitting for prolonged times
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2007, 08:34:42 PM »
The biggest issue with boots is the tread. If you wear something with a smooth sole or shallow tread instead of a grippy one, and step on any icy surface, you'll either do interpretive dance or a sudden and painful pratfall.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2007, 09:41:39 PM »
Whenever it got really icy out, which would happen about once a year in Pennsylvania, I'd put tire studs in the heels of my boots. They had holes in them that the studs would fit into nicely.

Mom wouldn't let me anywhere near the house when I had them in. Hell on hardwood floors, don't you know.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ryan in Maine

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2007, 10:59:43 PM »
Where I'm at, we start to get consistently cold weather at night in late September and it starts to creep into day in October. November through early March ranges from the lower 20's on down, not taking into consideration the wind.

Here's my general approach from head to toe, for everyday wear.

Late September through October:
On the head - Beanies. Cotton, fleece, or wool depending on thickness and temperature.
On the face - Nothing.
On the upper body - I start breaking out my heavier sweaters and throw on a nice down vest over them. Fall jackets still work well with layering. Wool and fleece can be worn over lighter layers. For wet weather, you can find a waterproof shell with a hood from a good company for a fair price.
On the hands - I don't like wearing gloves. I'm still holding off for the most part, but a light pair of fleece gloves are usually good enough. When you get gloves, make sure you have grip over the entire palm, from heel to fingertips. For wet weather, waterproof never hurts.
On the lower body - Nothing much changes here. I put my light summer-weight jeans away, but am still wearing jeans, chinos, or BDU-style pants.
On the feet - Uninsulated, waterproof boots.

November through March:
On the head - A thicker beanie. Sometimes a balaclava style thing that helps heat the air you breathe in.
On the face - Either the balaclava (you can also get variations without the hood now that I think about it) or flipping up my collar on a button-up shirt or my winter jacket. Usually just a flip of the collar to keep it up past my chin and onto my cheeks.
On the upper body - I have a clean-looking, insulated bomber jacket I can throw on. It's not wind/waterproof, but it's wind/water-resistant and very warm. Moving a step up from that I have a more technical wind/waterproof 3-in-1 winter jacket with the zip-out liner that can be worn on its own. This covers pretty much everything for me. Layering is very easy.
On the hands - Leather driving gloves that are insulated and wind/waterproof. A step up from that I have a more technical, substantially insulated wind/waterproof set of gloves that cover past the wrists and adjust easily for a tighter/looser fit. Good grip from heel to fingertips.
On the lower body - I usually don't go too far here for everyday wear. Same as earlier. To step up from that I like a warm base-layer. A step up from that, I have a pair of insulated, wind/waterproof blue jeans. They work far better than I ever imagined they would. I often throw them on the same way as I treat the bomber jacket.
On the feet - Uninsulated, waterproof boots. Mid/heavyweight wool socks, preferably wool. A step up from that, I have a pair of boots that come up about mid-shin that are well-insulated and waterproof. I stick with wool but can go much thinner.

You can't go wrong with wool, fleece, down, leather, fur, polyester, cotton, nylon, Primaloft, Thinsulate, Gore-Tex/Gore-Windstopper, etc (see end of post). Most similar products and imitations/substitutions work just fine for everyday wear if you buy from a reputable brand and company. The important thing is you get your insulation, wind/water protection, and comfort. You wont immediately find the perfect combination that you're happy with. Regulating body temperature is a lot of personal preference.

In my opinion, you have nearly unlimited options for everyday wear, even in extremely cold weather. If we were talking about more dedicated winter clothing for more extreme use, my list would shrink by quite a bit. Personal preference.

Some of my favorite brands and companies:
Burton
Cabela's
Carhartt
CoolMax
Danner
Duofold
Gore-Tex/Gore-Windstopper
Irish Setter
LL Bean
Meindl
Polartec/Polartec Windbloc
Primaloft
Psolar
Smartwool
Sorel
Teflon
The North Face
Thinsulate
Timberland
Under Armour
Wolverine
Woolrich

I hope that can start you off. I just wanted to throw some buzzwords out there and mention some brands/companies/materials that are, in my opinion, very dependable. If you see them in your quest for good winter clothing, it's usually worth looking into further. You'll probably catch on within a few days of browsing, if not sooner.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2007, 02:58:30 AM »
Best thing I ever did was buy a good ski jacket shell with removable fleece liner.  The jacket is wind and water proof, and lightweight.  It can be worn alone easily down to subfreezing temps if I'm exerting myself (like showshoeing or hiking).  Insert the liner when its really cold or you're sitting still.  Mine is a Helly Hansen jacket.  check www.sierratradingpost.com
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2007, 03:25:56 AM »
Balog, the UA "Hoody" might be really nice.  But if you're new to the game, just get a twelve-dollar hooded sweatshirt at K-Mart.  See if you like that sort of outerwear.  You might learn that you prefer a jacket and a stocking cap/watch cap. 

That's the same advice I would give if someone was new to guns, cameras, cars, computers, etc.  Don't spend a lot of money on something, if you don't know what you like yet.

(Full disclosure:  My first firearm was a brand-new Steyr rifle.  I traded it for an old Mauser and an 870.  I'm much happier that way.)   smiley

I have several hooded sweatshirts. They're bulkier and from what I can tell in store not as warm. And they soak up rain like a friggin sponge. Believe me, I'm not new to this type of garment, just new to layering it.

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2007, 04:54:54 AM »

I have several hooded sweatshirts. They're bulkier and from what I can tell in store not as warm. And they soak up rain like a friggin sponge. Believe me, I'm not new to this type of garment, just new to layering it.

If you take that hooded sweatshirt and put a lightly insulated, windproof jacket over the top you'll probably find it quite comfy down to 0 degrees. Even lower if you're shoveling snow. I usually wear a watch cap with it as the hood isn't very useful unless you cinch it down tight, but even with it down it still keeps the wind off your neck and you can cinch it up if necessary. If it warms up you can peel off one or the other and still be comfy. Thats what I use for most of the winter here in Michigan.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Chris

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2007, 05:52:06 AM »
You know, a lot of this comes down to personal preference, and by that I mean how one feels in the cold.  For example, when I put on my zip out ski coat, gloves, and a watch cap, my wife is usually in a light jacket laughing at me.

Biggest thing, IMO, is to stay dry on the inside.  I don't mind being wet, and can take the cold, but damp and cold makes me miserable.  So, I've got a Columbia ski parka with a zip out fleece liner/jacket and matching fleece vest.  I can zip either the liner/jacket or vest into the shell, depending on the temp.  Either way, I'll stay dry.  Wool watch cap or a GorTex ball cap I picked up somewhere. 

Gloves are a big issue, and probably wirthy of their own thread, especially if you CCW.  My normal carry companion is either a Smith J-frame or a Glock 19.  With either gun and a pair of heavy ski gloves, I can fire a shot, but the trigger will not reset.  the gloves are too bulky to allow the trigger to return forward.  So, I have two options.  One, lighter gloves, which I have and wear when the weather isn't freezing my fingers off.  Or, change hardware to the Beretta 92, with a larger trigger guard. 

Also, you may need to change your manner of carry.  A long coat zipped and buttoned up combined with a hip or IWB holster isn't going to work as fast as you may like.  At the some time, a full length wool dress coat would allow you to pocket carry a 1911.

Just food for thought...

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2007, 06:13:41 AM »
The 33-40 degree damp weather seems to make me feel colder than -10 weather. I usually dress in layers, which is one or two tshirts, lately, one is the underarmor type that wicks away sweat. On  the outside is a long sleeved Henly type sweater. Waterproof gloves are a must when it snows. I usually buy mine from Menard's for $5/pair. As for cold weather boots, I don't break those out unless I'm removing snow. I typically use my hunting boots that are rated to -40. When I was doing the cable tech job and crawling through snow filled ditches, I have a pair of Sorel Glacier boots for that type of stuff, plus a Columbia jacket with the removable liner (Gore-Tex). I will admit that when I lived in San Diego and then got transferred to MN for recruiting duty, my wardrobe was sorely lacking. 
" a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand." - Lucius Annaeus

for Military, Vets, & Supporters, check out:
USMILNET

Conservative Discussion Forum

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2007, 06:49:52 AM »
Balog, as a life-long Seattle resident who also does a lot of snow-shoeing, XC skiing and general hiking, my philosophy now is breathable layers (wicking polyester T-shirt, and wicking fleece) underneath a Gore-Tex parka with pit zips.  With judicious use of zippers to ventilate, I can stay warm and dry even in very poor weather conditions.  As to wear to buy such things locally, REI, Joe's and Big 5 all come to mind. 

I shave my head daily, so I am a big fan of hats.  In the cold, I like watch caps to cover my ears.  I also have a couple of earbands that are particularly handy on cold-weather bike rides, since they fit under a helmet. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2007, 06:51:44 AM »
Balog, as a life-long Seattle resident who also does a lot of snow-shoeing, XC skiing and general hiking, my philosophy now is breathable layers (wicking polyester T-shirt, and wicking fleece) underneath a Gore-Tex parka with pit zips.  With judicious use of zippers to ventilate, I can stay warm and dry even in very poor weather conditions.  When I am out in the snowy woods, I also have softshell pants.  As to wear to buy such things locally, REI, Joe's and Big 5 all come to mind. 

I shave my head daily, so I am a big fan of hats.  In the cold, I like watch caps to cover my ears.  I also have a couple of earbands that are particularly handy on cold-weather bike rides, since they fit under a helmet. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2007, 04:22:52 PM »
I really should've been more specific here. I have a rough idea of what I need; I'm looking for specific product ideas.

I want a wind and water resistant outer jacket that doesn't make me look like the Sta-Puft man or make swishing noises when I move. I don't know the technical term, but I'd like it to be longer than bomber length. Preferably around butt length. I'll have a couple layers under it; probably a normal t shirt and a sweatshirt so it'd need to be a bit looser. I like the look of this Carhartt coat but I don't know how well it'd repel water.

I'm thinking about adding some kind of long johns or thermals on the base layer for more prolonged times outdoor. Any ideas about these?

Gloves..... never thought about the trigger reset thing. I got a pair of leather ones with thinsulate that seem pretty nice. I'll probably grab a cheap pair of waterproof ski gloves for work. Any thoughts here?

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2007, 05:18:45 PM »
I really should've been more specific here. I have a rough idea of what I need; I'm looking for specific product ideas.

I want a wind and water resistant outer jacket that doesn't make me look like the Sta-Puft man or make swishing noises when I move. I don't know the technical term, but I'd like it to be longer than bomber length. Preferably around butt length. I'll have a couple layers under it; probably a normal t shirt and a sweatshirt so it'd need to be a bit looser. I like the look of this Carhartt coat but I don't know how well it'd repel water.

I'm thinking about adding some kind of long johns or thermals on the base layer for more prolonged times outdoor. Any ideas about these?

Gloves..... never thought about the trigger reset thing. I got a pair of leather ones with thinsulate that seem pretty nice. I'll probably grab a cheap pair of waterproof ski gloves for work. Any thoughts here?

You probably want  3/4 length ski jacket with a removable liner. They're in style for general use. Burton, Columbia, and a number of other makers have good ones. A good one won't be cheap.

For underwear, thermal silk is good. It's usually just a set of black pants and undershirt.

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2007, 05:33:47 PM »
The best long johns I've run across were those issued by the Navy for their aircrew. I managed to acquire a pair or two.
" a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand." - Lucius Annaeus

for Military, Vets, & Supporters, check out:
USMILNET

Conservative Discussion Forum

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2007, 05:40:35 PM »

Did you read my post?
A good modern ski jacket won't make you look like the stay puft man.
Here's an example
http://www.rei.com/product/754540?vcat=REI_SSHP_MENS_CLOTHING_TOC
My HH jacket was $99 from www.sierratradingpost.com.  I've used it for shoveling snow, getting groceries, fishing, hiking, snowshoeing....etc.
Shoot for wind and water proof with pitzips, a storm flap, a hood that can be removed or stowed, angled pockets, and a removable fleece liner.  3/4length or "parka" style instead of a "Bomber" style.  This kind of jacket you can use from the ski slope to the grocery store.
Underwear in the outdoors.  Think Silk or Polypro.  Wool socks.  
Waterproof ski/snowboard pants.  Every day stuff a good pair of heavy corderouy (Sp?) works fine.  
Invest in a good pair of waterproof boots.  Insulated isn't important unless you're going to be outdoors in them (hiking hunting fishing etc).
Gloves are very personal.  I tend to do better with simple wind and waterproof shell gloves and polypro glove liners.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2007, 06:46:50 PM »
Cold and wet = Gore-Tex (or similar fabric) and polar fleece. These will keep you warm and comfortable down to 0 F or colder and particularly if wind is a factor.

Extreme cold and dry or extended periods = Goose down or arctic weight Carhartts.

Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2007, 07:37:43 PM »
I did indeed read your post Jamis, tho I must admit I didn't do much looking on the link.

I guess it's just a perception thing for me. Every time I hear ski jacket I think of nasty feeling nylon that's noisy as hell to move around in. Maybe this is out of date; been a long time since I tried on a ski jacket, and I've no experience with nice ones.

Ryan in Maine

• friend
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2007, 09:11:23 PM »
Finding something quiet/waterproof to wear for the winter can be difficult. Usually those garments are aimed towards hunters and are only available in camo patterns.

Try going to http://www.cabelas.com and browsing around their fleece/wool gear aimed at hunters. If you don't have a problem with the camo patterns you can find something pretty nice that's waterproof and silent.

Try searching for:
Cabela's Super Slam Elite Fleece Insulated Parka (available in "outfitter camo" which doesn't look like a forest)
Cabela's Outfitter's Wool Dry-Plus Parka (also available in "outfitter camo")
Cabela's Outfitter's Wool Dry-Plus Jacket (also available in "outfitter camo")
Under Armour Stealth Shell (available in "UA digital camo" which again, doesn't look like a forest)

Then the only waterproof and silent parka that isn't in a camo pattern:
Cabela's Legacy Wool Dry-Plus Parka (available in charcoal, loden, or red/black plaid)

Of course, I've only checked Cabela's, since that's just my personal starting point. It seems that everything else would create the scuffing noises you don't care for.

jeepmor

• friend
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2007, 04:55:13 AM »
The PNW is water proof breathable land.  Nothing goes through these jackets faster.  I'm on my 4th high quality skiing/snowboarding jacket in 10 years.  However, the slopes can be extra rough on stuff as I am a die hard in this regard.  I look forward to the high wind days because it chases all the wimps off the slopes and ski patrol has a hard time seeing you bomb down the hills at mach stupid when you can only see a few hundred feet in front of you, if that.

As stated, a good shell and layers of fleece with a decent base layer.  For outdoor endeavours away from civilization, avoid cotton as much as possible.  Cotton kills and takes forever to dry out from sweat when your earning your turns.  As for casual stuff, no big deal.

Nikwax is your friend and greatly increases the life of any waterproof breathable nylon jacket.

BTW, being in the PNW, you either live with the sound of your nylon jacket or wear the camo patterns, not much in between.  Some of the softshells are a bit quieter, but still, it's nylon.

Columbia gear is exceptional for it's price point.  But I have some cheap stuff too that has held up just fine for running around town.  I live in Portland, lots of rain, but not much snow on the valley floor.  My old ski jackets make great rain jackets for kicking around town and are still plenty waterproof. 
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office.

"Oh, so now you're saying they don't have a right to whine about their First Amendment rights?  Fascist."  -fistul