Author Topic: Sheriff (Arpaio) going to Mesa, tells illegals to get out of town  (Read 1080 times)

Desertdog

• friends
Sheriff going to Mesa, tells illegals to get out of town
May 2nd, 2008 @ 8:22am
by KTAR Newsroom

Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio still isn't saying when he will take his crime suppression patrols to Mesa.

He says there's a reason for the delay -- he's giving illegal immigrants a chance to get out of town.

``I'm giving them a chance to pack up and leave, so when I do go in there, there may not be a big problem," he said.

If an illegal immigrant needs a ride, Arpaio says, ``Call 602-876-1000 and we'll make arrangements. Maybe we'll even pick them up."

Mesa Police Chief George Gascon has asked the sheriff for two days notice before he does his patrols in Mesa, and Arpaio said he will give police notice.

In the meantime, ``The only message I can give to the people here illegally is to pack up, take a bus, go back. If they want a free ride, they can always call me... I'll be glad to take care of them, especially those in Mesa. If they want to go back home, I'll be glad to help them. Maybe I won't have any problems to enforce when I decide to go to Mesa."

Arpaio's Mesa patrols will follow patrols at two Phoenix locations where day laborers gather and in the predominantly-Hispanic town of Guadalupe on the Phoenix-Tempe border. Critics have attacked the patrols as racial profiling. Arpaio denies that and says he just looking for criminals.

Phoenix Mayor Phil Gordon and others have asked the federal government to investigate the patrols.

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
Re: Sheriff (Arpaio) going to Mesa, tells illegals to get out of town
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2008, 06:25:32 PM »
Guadalupe is mostly a shantytown on the edge of Mesa.  Many people say some places are like Little Mexico.  Guadalupe really is.

Shacks and all sorts of shantys.  It's a poohole.
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2008, 11:57:25 PM »
Shacks and all sorts of shantys.  It's a poohole.

Oh. Another workers' and peasants' paradise, I guess.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2008, 02:28:38 AM »
Phoenix Mayor Phil Gordon and others have asked the federal government to investigate the patrols
Show's where he stands on this matter.

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2008, 05:52:48 AM »
There's some history on this, though.  Quite a few years ago, INS worked with Chandler, AZ (near Mesa) to do a sting operation to catch illegals.

It was very poorly done, basically speaking in people to spanish, and if they answered in spanish, they were arrested.

The state was in an uproar about it, and a law was passed to heavily curtail that type of activity.

This was around 10 years ago, though.
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2008, 08:39:24 AM »
Racial profiling?

How many illegal alien white daylaborers are there in Arizona?

I bet I could count them without having to resort of any fingers, toes, or anything else.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2008, 08:43:09 AM »
There's some history on this, though.  Quite a few years ago, INS worked with Chandler, AZ (near Mesa) to do a sting operation to catch illegals.

It was very poorly done, basically speaking in people to spanish, and if they answered in spanish, they were arrested.

The state was in an uproar about it, and a law was passed to heavily curtail that type of activity.

This was around 10 years ago, though.

Why not just have some people in ICE jackets run around randomly in crowds, as if they're chasing someone, and see who flees or hides?  smiley

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2008, 11:26:45 AM »
Why not just have some people in ICE jackets run around randomly in crowds, as if they're chasing someone, and see who flees or hides?

Because it's much more effective to surround the entire mob of hispanic day laborers around the Home Depot and labor centers, check ID's on all of them, and ship the ones who have fake/no ID's back to mexico after cooling their heels in a jail for a couple weeks.

Why hold 'em for a couple weeks?

So they can't make money.  Right now the border is so porous that if we ship 'em back right away, they are back within 2 days.  The only real punishment they get is the lack of money for themselves or their families back in Mexico.

The Guadalupe sting was unsuccessful due to the lack of pick-up centers in that sphincter of a town.  They go there to live, raise roosters for cock fighting, and experience all the beauty that Tijuana has to offer that they might otherwise miss out on.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2008, 11:32:09 AM »
The Guadalupe sting was unsuccessful due to the lack of pick-up centers in that sphincter of a town.  They go there to live, raise roosters for cock fighting, and experience all the beauty that Tijuana has to offer that they might otherwise miss out on.

Wow, Guadalupe has improved since I lived in the area.  When I used to live there, Tijuana was a vacation spot compared to Guadalupe  laugh
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.