Author Topic: Texting and driving don't mix.....  (Read 4515 times)

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Texting and driving don't mix.....
« on: September 18, 2008, 05:04:53 AM »
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,424344,00.html
LOS ANGELES   Federal authorities investigating why a commuter train engineer ran through a red signal and into an oncoming freight train have confirmed that he was text messaging while working on the day of the fatal collision.

The revelation came a day before the California Public Utilities Commission was scheduled to vote Thursday on a proposed emergency order banning the use of cell phones while operating a train. Commission President Michael R. Peevey, who is seeking the order, said some railroads have such policies but they're widely ignored.

"Our order would make it the law and we'll go after violators," Peevey said earlier in the week.
Story continued at the link

Utterly amazing. 
PS:
You know, how we're not allowed to operate our cellphones on an airplane?  Yeah, the pilots do it all the time.  I've heard the damn things ringing (when I was in ATC) in the background during communications......
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Manedwolf

• friend
Re: Texting and driving don't mix.....
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 05:06:25 AM »
What's worse, that's what happened about a month ago in Boston.

Green Line train missed all the red lights and plowed into another, killed the conductor and injured lots of people.

Why did they miss all the red lights? They found the conductors cellphone.

She was texting.

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2008, 06:15:47 AM »
Oh ffs.

Can we please institute public corporal punishment for people who think that texting while operating heavy machinery in ok? 

Maybe being stripped and beaten on the street in front of the courthouse would get people to get a clue that this is a bad idea.  Clearly the thought of killing other people hasn't worked.  Let's try public humiliation.

Iain

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2008, 06:19:07 AM »
There was a study reported on the news this morning over here that claimed that texting while driving was as dangerous as drink driving.

I was shocked.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2008, 07:57:10 AM »
There was a study reported on the news this morning over here that claimed that texting while driving was as dangerous as drink driving.

I was shocked.

A lot of things are just as dangerous as drunk driving. Lack of sleep, fussing with a young child, dialing a phone, texting etc etc.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

crt360

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2008, 07:59:03 AM »
I was walking out of Target the other day and I watched a girl driving while texting nearly run over another girl who was walking while texting.  I don't think either ever saw the other.  It's like I was the only one aware of what was happening.
For entertainment purposes only.

thebaldguy

• friends
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2008, 08:15:18 AM »
Texting while driving is now illegal in Minnesota. It doesn't seem to stop the college students in my neighborhood from doing it.

You still see people driving looking down and texting.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2008, 08:26:56 AM »
How does a train miss a red light?  Can a train even stop at a red light?

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2008, 08:56:29 AM »
How does a train miss a red light?  Can a train even stop at a red light?

The red lights indicate that the track ahead is not clear. If you see a red light at a junction, you are supposed to apply the brakes. There's a series of them. These aren't fast trains, they're multiple station, multiple stop kinds.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2008, 09:12:31 AM »
So basically, they are demonstrating why their job will be replaced by a machine down the road. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Dntsycnt

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2008, 09:21:06 AM »
So basically, they are demonstrating why their job will be replaced by a machine down the road. 

Oh, no.  I'm all for robotics and AI but I'm never climbing aboard an autonomous train.  Blaine is a pain and that's the truth.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2008, 09:24:17 AM »

Oh, no.  I'm all for robotics and AI but I'm never climbing aboard an autonomous train.  Blaine is a pain and that's the truth.

Miami has had Metromover robot buses on rails for over 20 years.

qdemn7

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2008, 09:30:17 AM »
How does a train miss a red light? 
Easy, you just run past the signal.
Can a train even stop at a red light?
Certainly, As the train crew (engineer, conductor and brakeman), your job is to watch the track AND the signals ahead and be prepared to stop BEFORE running past a signal displaying a red signal, track obstruction or another train. There are different types of red signal depending on the type of track signal systems. One type of red indicates "stop then proceed at low speed (10mph or less)" (permissive block) the other type is a pure stop signal (absolute block) which means you can't proceed until the signal changes to one of the various yellow or green signals.

Check out these articles for more details:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Railway_signalling#North_American_operating_rules

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Code_of_Operating_Rules

I worked for 17 years as a freight brakeman and conductor. Even though this was a passenger train the rules still apply.

Dntsycnt

• friend
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2008, 09:43:38 AM »

Miami has had Metromover robot buses on rails for over 20 years.

But do they enjoy riddles?

Iain

• friend
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2008, 11:46:21 AM »

A lot of things are just as dangerous as drunk driving. Lack of sleep, fussing with a young child, dialing a phone, texting etc etc.

I was being a little sarky - like we needed to be told that tapping away at a tiny keypad with a tiny screen whilst trying to control a couple of tons of motorised metal was a bad idea.

But then, apparently some people do need to be told that.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2008, 12:06:47 PM »
Blaine is a pain and that's the truth.

Why did the dead baby cross the road?
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2008, 06:20:20 PM »
I was being a little sarky - like we needed to be told that tapping away at a tiny keypad with a tiny screen whilst trying to control a couple of tons of motorised metal was a bad idea.

The perplexing part is that people continue to do it even after having been told.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2008, 11:25:38 PM »

The perplexing part is that people continue to do it even after having been told.

I feel cross eyed when I think of the fact that it's even necessary to try to convince people that such behavior is outrageously unsafe.

"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

S_O_Laban

• friend
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2008, 02:31:25 AM »

Imagine that... human arrogance rears it's head.