Author Topic: I wonder if this would be grounds for a mistrial....  (Read 608 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
I wonder if this would be grounds for a mistrial....
« on: May 25, 2006, 01:18:22 PM »
because the it might unduly influence and prejudice the jury...

BOSTON (Reuters) - A man charged with murder in Massachusetts was so angry with his lawyer's performance he attacked the attorney in court, trying to strangle him as a shocked judge looked on, Boston radio reported on Wednesday.

"I think he just didn't like the way some of the rulings the judge was making was going yesterday morning," attorney Bruce Carroll told WBZ Radio of the Tuesday morning attack by defendant John Gomes in Boston's Suffolk Superior Court.

"He eventually stood up, started saying something and reached over and grabbed me by the throat," said Carroll.

Several officers intervened before the 6-foot (1.8-meter), 250-pound (113-kg) Gomes was separated from Carroll, the radio reported. Carroll had tried to withdraw from the case last week but the judge denied his request.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2006, 02:13:51 PM »
Good luck finding another attorney.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2006, 02:32:58 PM »
Funny, this is how I met Ken Campbell, the soon to be Sheriff of Boone County, Indiana.

In 2001, a guy in Lebanon (Boone County) tried to kill his attorney with a chair (plastic with a metal frame) at the Boone County jail.  No one else wanted the case.

The judge asked who was the craziest attorney in Central Indiana.  "Kirk Freeman of Lafayette" was the universal answer.  His secretary called and I accepted the appointment (he only tried to kill his attorney).

During the trial, Ken Campbell came over to introduce himself to the nutty attorney and that's when I found out that BCSD sponsored shooting classes.
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

crt360

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2006, 02:46:32 PM »
So, El T, did you successfully defend your client from Lebanon or do you occasionally find yourself nervously calculating his estimated release date?

Sometimes criminal defendants are almost as bad as family law clients.
For entertainment purposes only.