Author Topic: Yojimbo  (Read 1662 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Yojimbo
« on: April 09, 2013, 12:06:26 PM »
This has been on my Netflix list for several years after seeing "Last Man Standing" and realizing that THAT movie was based off of "Fistful of Dollars," and that FoD was based on Yojimbo.

Anyone know if Yojimbo has an inspiring predecessor to thank for its origins?

I really liked this movie, and I tend to dislike anything requiring me to read subtitles.  I took 3 years of Japanese in college and couldn't understand more than maybe 1 word in every 20 in this movie.  I really wish Japanese language educators would teach real Japanese rather than trying to make gaijin men talk like subservient women.  The whole script was grunts and truncated conjugations by the men (that somehow turned into complete sentences in the subtitles below), and deliberate conversationally-paced and fully conjugated dialogue by the women.

Language aside, great flick.  I loved the bit where Yojimbo's healing up in the temple and flipping a knife at a piece of paper blowing in the wind.  And the fight/not-fight right before the magistrate comes into town was hilarious.

It was weird seeing Toshiro Mifune so young.  My first exposure to him was James Clavell's Shogun TV adaptation.  Loved him as Toranaga (Tokugawa). 
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

SADShooter

• friend
Re: Yojimbo
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 12:41:09 PM »
Not sure what predates Yojimbo. Excellent film, though. agricola's sig line makes me think of it and Sanjuro, another excellent Kurosawa offering on the lighter side. If you get into the genre, also check out the Zatoichi series.

I also first saw Mifune in Shogun. Read the book as well. Awesome.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2013, 01:29:35 PM »
Red Harvest, by Dashiell Hammett, is supposed to have been the inspiration for it. I like the movies better.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2013, 01:35:10 PM »
Red Harvest, by Dashiell Hammett, is supposed to have been the inspiration for it. I like the movies better.

Dangit, you're right. I own a copy and have read it, but I forgot about the Continental Op. :facepalm:
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2013, 03:38:43 PM »
It's OK. I started reading about it on Wikipedia one time, and realized that it seemed very familiar. Then I realized that I had read the book sometime in the past few years, but had forgotten it.

Oh well. At least Kurosawa didn't find it so forgettable, or I would have to use Citizen Kane, or something, as a screen name.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2013, 03:47:11 PM »
It's OK. I started reading about it on Wikipedia one time, and realized that it seemed very familiar. Then I realized that I had read the book sometime in the past few years, but had forgotten it.

Oh well. At least Kurosawa didn't find it so forgettable, or I would have to use Citizen Kane, or something, as a screen name.

What'chya talkin' 'bout, Bruce Willis? =D

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2013, 08:09:39 PM »
If anyone is interested, you can watch Seven Samurai on Hulu for free right now.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/215816