Author Topic: Who gives the better speech?  (Read 9450 times)

Manedwolf

• friend
Re: Who gives the better speech?
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2008, 07:38:42 PM »
Okay, I'll spell it out for you since you seem to be more concerned with obtuse half-clever responses than the substance of my statement:

Palin's image as a gun totin', moose killin' good ole girl is what fuels her drooling fanbase, and leads them to ascribe qualities to her that do not exist, such as being an exceptional speaker, or a qualified candidate for the Presidency.  Her shrill clacking pompous jocularity is in no way endearing or indicative of a good public speaker, and buzzes in my head like the screams of a Lovecraftian octopus god.

Shrill? Sounds like a Minnesota or upper midwest accent to me. I keep expecting a "youbetcha".

Don't talk to any girls from there. You'd find them "shrill".  rolleyes

Dntsycnt

• friend
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2008, 07:46:51 PM »
Still figuring Ron Paul can somehow wrest the nomination?

Ron Paul and his merry band of loonies?  I've no interest in joining any cult.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2008, 05:53:36 AM »
Palin is clearly better looking than Obama  laugh
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2008, 07:21:38 AM »
Okay, I'll spell it out for you since you seem to be more concerned with obtuse half-clever responses than the substance of my statement:

Palin's image as a gun totin', moose killin' good ole girl is what fuels her drooling fanbase, and leads them to ascribe qualities to her that do not exist, such as being an exceptional speaker, or a qualified candidate for the Presidency.  Her shrill clacking pompous jocularity is in no way endearing or indicative of a good public speaker, and buzzes in my head like the screams of a Lovecraftian octopus god.

You think that buzzing in your head is because of Palin's mechanics of speech?! No, no, no. Bless your heart. That buzzing is coming from your logic circuits overloading due to your attempt at a obtuse half-clever turn of phrase.

That image is one "projected" upon her by the oh so adoring "journos" that populate the 4th estate. That you would believe it as honest says more about your lack of critical ability than anything else. You evidently don't really listen to women when they speak. If you did you wouldn't be put off by a voice with higher pitch. And finally, Do you even know the definition of jocularity?

Jim 

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2008, 07:31:27 AM »

Still figuring Ron Paul can somehow wrest the nomination?

I was finishing lunch in the wendys parking lot when Rush mentions there were a couple of protesters attempting to disrupt McCain's speech. 

No word yet if they were in wookie attire.  laugh

Dntsycnt

• friend
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2008, 07:41:48 AM »
You think that buzzing in your head is because of Palin's mechanics of speech?! No, no, no. Bless your heart. That buzzing is coming from your logic circuits overloading due to your attempt at a obtuse half-clever turn of phrase.

That image is one "projected" upon her by the oh so adoring "journos" that populate the 4th estate. That you would believe it as honest says more about your lack of critical ability than anything else. You evidently don't really listen to women when they speak. If you did you wouldn't be put off by a voice with higher pitch. And finally, Do you even know the definition of jocularity?

Jim 

Ouch.  You got me in every aspect.  You win the internets.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2008, 03:00:52 AM »
I admire good speechifying because I know what it takes to be good.  That said, I don't see its relevance in today political sewer when all political discourse is reduce to a 90 second story, 4 second soundbite, or a bumper sticker.  A good orator will be dismissed as pompous (c.f. Alan Keyes).
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2008, 04:56:06 AM »
Am I hallucinating, or did someone just describe Sarah Palin as pompous?   shocked  undecided

I suppose a lot of criticisms of Palin may be plausible, even if untrue.  But "pompous" just isn't one of them. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

zahc

• friend
« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2008, 05:04:52 AM »
where can I see this   Palin speech on the intartoobz?
I don't do TV so i guess I missed it.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine