Author Topic: Has anyone heard from MrsSmith recently?  (Read 2197 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Has anyone heard from MrsSmith recently?
« on: May 07, 2014, 07:56:50 AM »
If so, tell her not to read this. :angel:

http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-magazine-monitor-27246823

In hindsight, there were better places to hunker down for a kip. But James Payn wasn't to know that as he clambered into the goods van of a waiting freight train. He was just thankful he'd found somewhere to rest.

What's more, it seemed like he'd hit the hobo equivalent of the jackpot - the carriage was loaded with bananas. James cheerfully helped himself to a few, then drifted off to a contented sleep.

But Payn, a Liverpudlian who had been riding the railroads of America, had Goldilocks' luck when it came to stumbling upon free board and lodging. When he woke, it was to a sensation plucked straight from an arachnophobe's nightmare.

The carriage was dark. The door was sealed. The train was rattling along the track - and something had just crawled over his face. Something large. Something hairy. Something leggy.

All y'all know where this horror movie is going, right?

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Re: Has anyone heard from MrsSmith recently?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2014, 09:05:49 AM »

Hrm. So, trespasser driven insane by his misconduct. I like. That's a standard that's gonna be hard to reach, but even the journey is worthy.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2014, 10:33:01 AM »
Nice

To answer the title question, she's OK just really really really busy. Heard from her last night.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 11:40:44 AM by Boomhauer »
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2014, 12:07:33 PM »
intrepid arachnophiles leave their phone numbers with the grocer, as big spiders will arrive with bananas
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2014, 12:10:27 PM »
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2013/11/potentially-deadly-spiders-found-in-supermarket-banana-bunch/

A British family was forced to flee its London home after dozens of apparently deadly spiders sprouted from a banana bought from a local supermarket.
Consi Taylor, 29, was halfway through eating a banana when she noticed that the small white patch on the piece of fruit was not mold but something far more alarming.
“I had a closer look and was horrified to see they were spiders,” Taylor told The Sun newspaper. “They were hatching out on the table, scurrying around on my carpet.”
Taylor took a picture of the spiders and sent it to her local pest control company for guidance. It said the tiny critters could be Brazilian wandering spiders,
a species that Guinness World Records designated the world’s most venomous spider in 2010
The Taylors evacuated their home and had it fumigated, according to The Sun.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 02:28:18 PM by Harold Tuttle »
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2014, 12:12:18 PM »
A shopper had a terrifying moment when he picked up a bunch of supermarket bananas
and found a large tarantula hanging off.
Mark Drinkwater, 42, said he was left with his 'heart beating through his chest' after
discovering the spider in the fruit and veg section of his local Lidl supermarket on Monday morning.
He claimed the spider was the size of his hand - although staff at the store said it was no more than a couple of inches.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2335950/Tarantula-bananas-sir-Shopper-reveals-terrifying-moment-discovered-spider-hanging-bunch-fruit-picked-supermarket.html#ixzz312yA5QOU
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 02:28:35 PM by Harold Tuttle »

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2014, 12:15:07 PM »
How common is it to find a spider in grocery store fruit—and are spiders more common in grapes and bananas from certain regions?
For the bananas, you have a reasonable chance of getting them in ones imported from anywhere in Central or South America,
the main sources of the fruit. I have no idea of the actual risk, but there are different types of wandering and huntsman spiders
throughout Latin America. You pretty much have a chance of getting black widows—which are found all over the world—in grapes anywhere they grow.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/dangerous-spiders-grocery-produce/
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 02:28:50 PM by Harold Tuttle »

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2014, 01:02:39 PM »
i've never seen one or heard of one being seen before this.   =(
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2014, 04:01:45 PM »
I hope Mrs. Smith doesn't like banana's, because if she reads this, she'll never eat a banana again.

(i find myself fortunate, because I don't like banana's. While I'm not nearly as phobic about spiders as she is, I draw the line at having tons of the little buggers explode off my fruit snacks)
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2014, 04:10:23 PM »
Nice

To answer the title question, she's OK just really really really busy. Heard from her last night.

Give her my warm regards, s'il vous plait.

Terry
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2014, 06:24:13 PM »
I hope Mrs. Smith doesn't like banana's, because if she reads this, she'll never eat a banana again.

(i find myself fortunate, because I don't like banana's. While I'm not nearly as phobic about spiders as she is, I draw the line at having tons of the little buggers explode off my fruit snacks)

I have to eat a banana every day due to dialysis (It literally sucks the potassium out me and if I don't get enough, I get really bad leg and arm cramps).  However, I'm very careful when I pick them out at the store.

I seem to recall MrsSmith's posting not to long ago about trying to squish a spider only to have all the "babies" it was carrying abandon ship and scatter to the four winds, walls, and walkways.    Hence the Raid shortage in every hardware store in the US. 
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2014, 07:20:45 PM »
Munch on a little black powder?  I'm sure there are no spiders in it.

E-vvvvvar.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2014, 10:16:46 PM »
I actually had a tarantula crawl up my leg this afternoon. It was hiding in my shop and I almost stepped on it.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2014, 12:22:09 AM »
I actually had a tarantula crawl up my leg this afternoon. It was hiding in my shop and I almost stepped on it.

Tarantulas are Mostly Harmless, though; not so much with Brazilian Wandering Spiders.  :O
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth