Author Topic: Anti-Glowinthedarkism strikes at women  (Read 1020 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Anti-Glowinthedarkism strikes at women
« on: May 08, 2014, 06:21:45 PM »
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/science-news/10811734/Why-avoiding-sunshine-could-kill-you.html

Women who never sunbathe during the summer are twice as likely to die than those who sunbathe everyday, a major study has shown.
Researchers at the Karolinska Institute in Sweden claim guidelines which advise people to stay out of the sun unless wearing sunscreen may be harming the population, particularly in countries like Britain.
Exposure to ultraviolet radiation from sunlight is often cited as a cause of skin melanoma. The NHS currently recommends avoiding overexposure to the sun to prevent all types of skin cancer.
But the new research, which followed nearly 30,000 women over 20 years, suggests that women who stay out of the sun are at increased risk of skin melanomas and are twice as likely to die from any cause, including cancer.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

In support of women everywhere, like Glenn Reynolds at Instapundit "I’ll be maintaining my trademark year-round translucent moontan — if only for the sake of contrarianism."

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
Re: Anti-Glowinthedarkism strikes at women
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2014, 06:46:14 PM »
Light, specifically sunlight, is directly linked to deppression and other health issues.

Moderation and avoid turning yourself into a lobster, a leather purse or a white grub is probably the way to go.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2014, 06:52:47 PM »
Light, specifically sunlight, is directly linked to deppression and other health issues.

Directly linked to depression and other issues, or inversely linked? Isn't SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) related to lack of sunlight rather than to exposure to sunlight?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2014, 06:59:08 PM »
Directly linked to depression and other issues, or inversely linked? Isn't SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) related to lack of sunlight rather than to exposure to sunlight?

errrr... directly related... Meaning there is a direct link between light and deppression... To clarify, a lack of light can lead to deppression,   which would be why light is directly related to deppression.

(I'm not disagreeing with you, because, yes, that would be what I refering to. I am annoyed at you corrected something I wrote which actually didn't need correcting)
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2014, 07:02:49 PM »
Breakdown of cholesterol under UV light into vitamin D is an important function of sunlight too.
I promise not to duck.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2014, 08:08:44 PM »
errrr... directly related... Meaning there is a direct link between light and deppression... To clarify, a lack of light can lead to deppression,   which would be why light is directly related to deppression.

(I'm not disagreeing with you, because, yes, that would be what I refering to. I am annoyed at you corrected something I wrote which actually didn't need correcting)

Wow, you should write for the news. :rofl: :P
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2014, 08:10:40 PM »
Good news!  ;)   :lol:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2014, 01:04:15 PM »
Breakdown of cholesterol under UV light into vitamin D is an important function of sunlight too.

Uh-oh!  That may explain a few things.  Cholestorol is historically high, VitD is historically low.  It is not accurate to say I glow in the dark - more like being so pale that faint starlight on an overcast night is reflected as if I were a lighthouse beacon.

Think I'll bring this up with the doc next week when I see him to discuss renewing all my scripts for another year.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2014, 01:17:17 PM »
Beat me to it.
Have to wonder if there is a link to osteoporosis and sun avoidance.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2014, 01:22:34 PM »
Uh-oh!  That may explain a few things.  Cholestorol is historically high, VitD is historically low.  It is not accurate to say I glow in the dark - more like being so pale that faint starlight on an overcast night is reflected as if I were a lighthouse beacon.

Think I'll bring this up with the doc next week when I see him to discuss renewing all my scripts for another year.

stay safe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyXaehgGzYM
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2014, 04:11:51 PM »
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2014, 04:50:05 PM »
I remember reading something about how Somalian women here have various health problems because of lack of exposure to the sun. Might've been something along the lines of vitamin D deficiency.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila