Author Topic: I just came up with a design for a small military grade MLRS  (Read 1095 times)

Sometimes I just get ideas in my head and have to design them out, and I do believe I've come up with a really great small crewserved MLRS system, small enough to be mounted on a humvee or ordinary jeep, and remote actuated firing 40-60mm rockets capable of putting out 8 or more (size of launcher block is the only limit) in a volley and reloading in under a minute. This would be a cheap but effective method for bombarding a position with a form of artillery. I see a market for small militaries seeking an inexpensive rocket option. It could also be upgraded in sophistication and expense for even more firepower and capability. Complicated expanding fins would be unnecessary as the problem of mutual exclusivity between a) a tube shaped to the rocket's diameter, and b), fins on said rocket, has been solved.

Here's a google result I got for some US goals on aquiring things:
 'Artillery and missile systems: Continue procurement of light-weight 155-mm towed howitzer with total program objective of 465 systems for USA and USMC. Delay production of Crusader until 2004 and procure a reduced number (650) over six to eight years. Explore feasibility of limited acquisition of small MLRS system (HMMMV-mounted) and FOG-M system to augment light force capabilities.'

Should I build a prototype? :$

Preacherman

I just came up with a design for a small military grade MLRS
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2005, 09:06:35 AM »
You're a few decades too late, I'm afraid.  In Vietnam, the Chinese used a 6-tube 107mm. rocket launcher, which could be towed behind a Jeep or something similar.  It's still available, in updated form with a 12-tube launcher:  see here.  There have been other, similar weapons produced by a number of countries, based on the original Russian and Chinese equipment.
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional!

Please visit my blog: http://bayourenaissanceman.blogspot.com/