Author Topic: Computer font dilemma  (Read 50 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Computer font dilemma
« on: May 09, 2024, 05:17:27 PM »

My computers currently run Windows 10. For testing and comparison, I have installed on my primary desktop computer Microsoft Office 2019, SoftMaker Office 2024, and LibreOffice 7.x.x.

Some time ago I noticed that this computer had somehow, somewhere, installed a huge number of fonts, all beginning with "Noto." (More than 100 of them, IIRC.) A bit of research on the Internet has told me that these fonts originated with Google and that they are intended to provide similar-appearing fonts in every language. That's wonderful, but I don't write in every language. I write almost exclusively in American English, and a bit of Spanish and French once in a while.

When I discovered the Noto fonts on my computer, I laboriously went through and uninstalled all of them. They came back! I suspect they were installed when LibreOffice updated itself. Does that seem like a reasonable supposition? More importantly, is there any reason why I shouldn't delete them -- again? More importantly still, if I delete them, how can I prevent them from returning aggain and again ... on every computer I own? Did I miss an option in LibreOffice to skip installing Noto fonts?

I continually want to use a font manager to get some measure of control over all the fonts I have on my computers, but I have no idea how they are supposed to function. They don't have user manuals. In fact, I have FOUR of them: FontBase, Nexus Font, and High-Logic Main Font (all free), plus the font manager that was bundled with the font collection I bought from SoftMaker. The problem is, NONE of them come with a user manual, so after installing them on my computer I have zero idea how to use them. I have made repeated requests on the SoftMaker support forum for a font manager user manual, and the answer is always, "It's easy! (I've been using it for twenty years, so I know.)" [Not helpful]

Thank you.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
Re: Computer font dilemma
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2024, 07:07:59 PM »

My computers currently run Windows 10. For testing and comparison, I have installed on my primary desktop computer Microsoft Office 2019, SoftMaker Office 2024, and LibreOffice 7.x.x.

Some time ago I noticed that this computer had somehow, somewhere, installed a huge number of fonts, all beginning with "Noto." (More than 100 of them, IIRC.) A bit of research on the Internet has told me that these fonts originated with Google and that they are intended to provide similar-appearing fonts in every language. That's wonderful, but I don't write in every language. I write almost exclusively in American English, and a bit of Spanish and French once in a while.

When I discovered the Noto fonts on my computer, I laboriously went through and uninstalled all of them. They came back! I suspect they were installed when LibreOffice updated itself. Does that seem like a reasonable supposition?

I checked one of my laptops.  Win 11, Libre Office 24.2.  Control panel/fonts is showing 14 Noto fonts.  No other office other than the stub of 365 that a bare install of W11 puts there.

So, maybe they came from Libre.

(Wikipedia on Noto fonts notes that Libra since 6.0 installs Noto fonts)

In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Computer font dilemma
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2024, 10:40:05 PM »
Update: I said "over 100" Noto fonts. In fact, it's 394 fonts in all. I just deleted them. Now I have to do the same thing on six more computers. And there doesn't appear to be a way to prevent LibreOffice from installing them, so the next time LO updates I guess I'll have to do the same thing all over.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design