Author Topic: brake questions  (Read 1604 times)

brimic

• friends
brake questions
« on: April 17, 2011, 11:18:11 AM »
I have a bad front caliper on my 98 grand prix. I know which one is bad because I just changed the pads and rotors on the front, and only one pad and rotor was worn- the pad/rotor facing the caliper piston.
Its gotten worse, it makes a lot of noise when driving. I'm fixing it today.

Do I need to change calipers on both sides, or just the bad one?
When I bleed the brakes, do I need to bleed all of them, or just the one where the caliper is being changed?
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: brake questions
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 11:25:05 AM »
1) I would just change the bad one only (but give the other one a strong lecture about staying good ;) )

2) Depends - sometimes you can get away with only bleeding the wheel that has been opened.  You will know, if the brake pedal is still spongy.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 11:45:14 AM »
I'd just change the bad one.

You only need to bleed the brake you opened.  But, a new caliper takes more fluid then many think.  Make DARN sure that the master cylinder doesn't go dry.  Air in the ABS module generally takes a dealer trip to fix.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2011, 11:47:12 AM »
You can just rebuild the bad one, but you should give the other one a good inspection. You might want to check to see if there's seals available for the calipers so you can disassemble the bad one. If so, take it apart and take steel wool to the piston to clean off any rust, clean out the other parts, and apply a piston lubricant if the manual calls for it.

You likely have a split master cylinder that separates the front and rear brakes, in which case you could just bleed the brakes on the front. If it's reached a point where the caliper has gone, though, you might want to bleed all the brakes to flush out the old fluid and replace with new.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2011, 12:00:24 PM »
Check the price before you make the decision. I rebuilt the brakes on my s-10 a few years ago and needed a new caliper on one side, since remanufactured calipers were only $12 + core charge I replaced both of them.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2011, 12:16:14 PM »
Only one I ever had go bad was up in Alaska, and it seized up halfway applied.  Truck would pull to one side while driving and to the other side while braking.

I had a whole bunch of mechanical problems happen up there (like front spindle bearings going out three times in <2 years!) that I've never seen in the Arid West.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

brimic

• friends
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2011, 12:43:52 PM »
Calipers were only $30ea +$27 core charge, I'm going to replace them both. Originally, when I did the brake job a week or so ago, I figure the bad caliper would last as long as I had the car- (has 190,000 miles on it already).

Barack Obama

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2011, 08:43:30 AM »
Sounds like the caliper was working fine but the float pins were seized.  Did you clean up/replace those?
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

brimic

• friends
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2011, 10:43:55 AM »
Changed bad caliper- I did clean/grease the pins when I took it apart last....
Found the major source of the noise/vibration- a wheel lug was sheared off :O
The worst was that the whell lug was sheared off on one side, and the caliper had to be replaced on the other, so I ended up taking everything apart. :facepalm:

Barack Obama

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2011, 02:02:29 PM »
Guess I'm late to the thread.  Nonetheless, I always recommend installing these http://www.topbrakes.com/seriesDetails.php?series=Speed%20Bleeder%20Brake%20Bleeder%20screws&source=ggle_speed_bleeders&gclid=CJi6mM7SpqgCFZFoKgodoktQIw

Most auto parts stores carry them for ~$10 / pair.  Seems pricey for bleeder screws but they're worth every penny.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2011, 08:40:38 PM »
thank you dd! i owe you an adult beverage or 2
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

brimic

• friends
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2011, 09:09:55 PM »
I used one of these gizmos for bleeding- it worked really slick- http://www.amazon.com/OEM-25036-Bleed-One-Man-Bleeder/dp/B000CMDP44

Barack Obama

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2011, 11:26:46 PM »
If you use a pressure bleeder (one man bleeder) make sure it's a good one with tight fittings. I had a cheap one blow one of its hoses off and spray old style brake fluid on my freshly-painted Jag.