Author Topic: Prirates try to hijack Maersk Alabama again  (Read 2890 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Prirates try to hijack Maersk Alabama again
« on: November 18, 2009, 10:43:00 AM »
http://news.aol.com/article/maersk-alabama-targeted-by-somali/742659?icid=main|htmlws-main-n|dl1|link3|http%3A%2F%2Fnews.aol.com%2Farticle%2Fmaersk-alabama-targeted-by-somali%2F742659

2 videos at the link.

An on-board security team repelled the attack by using evasive maneuvers, small-arms fire and a Long Range Acoustic Device, which can beam earsplitting alarm tones

Let's see -- who's been absent for a while?

And how come the rest of us weren't invited to go along? ???

stay safe.

skidmark
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

taurusowner

Re: Prirates try to hijack Maersk Alabama again
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 10:48:56 AM »
Small arms?  I thought there was a big hoopla about that being a no-no on ocean going vessels that dock in foreign ports.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 10:53:11 AM »
Small arms and private security = good.

Small arms and regular old ship's crew = bad.

Small arms and my own theoretical pirate-hunting pleasure yacht and some APS'ers = pirate chum and swordfish fishing.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2009, 11:01:32 AM »
However, Roger Middleton, a piracy expert at the London-based think tank Chatham House, said the international maritime community was still "solidly against" armed guards aboard vessels at sea, but that American ships have taken a different line than the rest of the international community.

OK, but these two quotes taken togehter make me think the rest of the maritime community might want to rethink that one.

Everything is safe and secure and Maersk Alabama is proceeding to their intended destination,"
vs.
a self-proclaimed pirate said Wednesday that the captain of a ship hijacked Monday had died of wounds suffered during the ship's hijacking.

Just sayin'.

I also noted that the shore folks have lost contact with the pirates that attacked the Maersk Alabama. 

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 11:03:03 AM »
As I'm considering the remunerative aspects of pirate hunting, I'm struck by the problem that no longer would pirate's spoils be found on their ships.

As I result, I have to ask: do these pirates have bank accounts? Are these companies/countries that pay ransom wiring money into a bank account?

If so, why haven't we seized said bank accounts!?
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2009, 11:13:51 AM »
As I'm considering the remunerative aspects of pirate hunting, I'm struck by the problem that no longer would pirate's spoils be found on their ships.

As I result, I have to ask: do these pirates have bank accounts? Are these companies/countries that pay ransom wiring money into a bank account?

If so, why haven't we seized said bank accounts!?

When paying ransom, companies literally helicopter-drop money onto the hijacked ship.  The pirates then take the money, and leave the ship.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2009, 11:16:05 AM »
When paying ransom, companies literally helicopter-drop money onto the hijacked ship.  The pirates then take the money, and leave the ship.

Do pirates accept pennies?  >:D
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

HankB

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2009, 11:16:47 AM »
. . . the international maritime community was still "solidly against" armed guards aboard vessels at sea . . .
I doubt that this "maritime community" includes much in the way of active sailors.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2009, 11:19:37 AM »
As soon as the major maritime insurance companies decide that it's less risky to have armed guards than it is to have ships hijacked, this will all change.

And professional mercenary companies that have their own insurance, bonds etc., the DynCorp's and Blackwater/Xe's of the world will have enough paper-pushing accumen to make everyone feel warm and fuzzy about it.
I promise not to duck.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2009, 01:29:06 PM »
Small arms?  I thought there was a big hoopla about that being a no-no on ocean going vessels that dock in foreign ports.

Truth.  What they do is insert the security team before the ship transits the danger area, and then remove them when they leave it.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

guns and more

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2009, 08:08:43 PM »
I always said............Blackwater.

A couple of guys well trained with AR's and Barrett 50's. Riddle the pirate boat, feed the sharks, file no reports, keep moving, deny.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2009, 08:28:25 PM »
Again, its been happening for years in another pirate hotspot, Indonesia.

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2009, 02:48:01 AM »
A couple of guys well trained with AR's and Barrett 50's. Riddle the pirate boat, feed the sharks, file no reports, keep moving, deny.

Something suppressed, from a bit of a distance so they have no idea where it's coming from.  A few AKs, maybe an RPG, and whatever other hardware they have can be considered "spoils of war."

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2009, 06:21:27 AM »
http://www.popeater.com/2009/11/18/nicolas-cage-pirates-kenya-united-nations/?icid=main|htmlws-main-n|dl2|link5|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.popeater.com%2F2009%2F11%2F18%2Fnicolas-cage-pirates-kenya-united-nations%2F

Nicolas Cage has visited a Kenyan prison holding suspected Somali pirates awaiting trial to highlight the problem of piracy in the Indian Ocean. Inmates danced for the movie star and shook his hand as he toured the Shimo La Tewa prison in the Kenyan coastal town of Mombasa. The prison has become a model for other jails in the country because of the reform work of its chief warden, Wanini Kireri.

Cage, a U.N. Goodwill Ambassador on Drugs and Crime, told The Associated Press Television News on Tuesday that he wanted to meet with some of the suspected Somali pirates, hear their stories and understand what is fueling piracy off the Somali coast.

Dear Nic,

It's money.  There is none in Somalia.  As a matter of fact there is nothing in Somalia.  The folks there watch TV and see all the good things they could buy if they had money.  Some of them sit and pout.  Others go and figure out how to get an AK-47 or AK-74, an RPG, and a boat.  Then they go get a ship.  They don't really want the ship, but they figure the owner does, so they trade the ship for money.

Hope this helps you understand what is fueling piracy off the Somali coast.

Love,

skidmark
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2009, 07:35:45 AM »
Dear Dic,
FIFY...  =D
Avoid cliches like the plague!

taurusowner

« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2009, 08:26:26 AM »
Truth.  What they do is insert the security team before the ship transits the danger area, and then remove them when they leave it.

Sneaky.  I like it.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2009, 09:15:53 AM »
Again, its been happening for years in another pirate hotspot, Indonesia.

Although a lot of the Indonesian/Straits of Malacca piracy is just organized shipping title and insurance fraud. The boat is taken, re-painted, re-registered, the shipper files a claim, then buys the "new" boat back at a discount.
I promise not to duck.