Author Topic: Let's pay farmers NOT to grow stuff  (Read 1930 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Let's pay farmers NOT to grow stuff
« on: March 24, 2022, 08:24:27 PM »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Nick1911

• Administrator
Re: Let's pay farmers NOT to grow stuff
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2022, 09:34:27 PM »
Well, there are certainly some arguments for paying farmers not to grow stuff, or more typically using economic levers like subsides and taxation rules to control and stabilize prices and production.  Historically, I think it's hard to argue that the US governments agricultural regulations have been the cause of food insecurity.  It really isn't now either - a conflict in a major grain producing region combined with currency hijinks is leading to higher prices, not the USDA regs.

What programs are you arguing killing off?  CRP?

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2022, 09:37:46 PM »
I keep hearing about this stuff on the news but never see it around here. Miles and miles of year-round framing.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2022, 09:42:21 PM »
I think two big inputs regarding domestic farming this year will be fuel and fertilizer. Both have about doubled compared to last year, and fertilizer is getting hard to come by.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2022, 11:25:29 PM »
Obviously the year to grow as much corn as possible to turn into ethanol. Also a good time to send all the cow fart hysterics to whatever places start starving this fall and see if they can help.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2022, 12:09:19 PM »
Also predicted to have year three of a drought in the corn/soy growing areas. There isn't much moisture left in the topsoil.

You're not going to eat dent field corn, that goes to animal feed, industry and ethanol. Soy needs to be processed into human food, but much of what is grown is for oil and animal feed.

Pork and Poultry, production and pack, is pretty much controlled by 4 companies. 2 are foreign owned, China and Brazil.

Beef is headed the same way, there is a silent war between the big packers and the independent cattle producers.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2022, 12:27:43 PM »
I think two big inputs regarding domestic farming this year will be fuel and fertilizer. Both have about doubled compared to last year, and fertilizer is getting hard to come by.

Fuel doubled. Fertilizer tripled. Talking to Dad over the weekend and the stuff they use for weed control has gone from $12 a gallon to $43.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2022, 12:30:43 PM »
Fuel doubled. Fertilizer tripled. Talking to Dad over the weekend and the stuff they use for weed control has gone from $12 a gallon to $43.

Brad

Fertilizer is going to hit next year, because most farmers bought/ordered this year's fertilzer last summer before the price spike. Sucks if you picked up more land or need to switch row crops from what was originally planned. Fuel tends to be that way in farming also, you order it a year in advance.

Uranus is a gas giant.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2022, 12:49:40 PM »

Brad

I bought my "every other year" jug of off brand 41% glyphosate concentrate this spring, $119.95 for the 2.5 gallon jug. Last time I bought one (2020) the price was $41.95.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2022, 01:08:34 PM »
I bought my "every other year" jug of off brand 41% glyphosate concentrate this spring, $119.95 for the 2.5 gallon jug. Last time I bought one (2020) the price was $41.95.

I've spent around $600 already this year on herbicides. I just now got back to the house from spraying Canadian thistle that started popping up. I messed up and didn't grab extra fertilizer last year. I've got enough to do the 8ac field that really needs it, and the rest are gonna have to run on cow *expletive deleted*it.  =D

My neighbor, who has a big dairy down the road only used manure on the 80 acres of alfalfa he farms next door to me instead of buying chemical fertilizer this year. Good for him, but it was kinda smelly around the house for a few weeks there.  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2022, 02:08:12 PM »
I absolutely hate walking soybean or cornfields that are heavily hog manured for nitrogen. It doesn't smell, but it slimy with the slightest amount of moisture.

Uranus is a gas giant.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2022, 03:18:43 PM »
NPR just had a story about encouraging more farmers to plant wheat to offset Ukraine. At least they mentioned that it really hard to switch to a different commodity in an established commodity system.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2022, 03:38:31 PM »
NPR just had a story about encouraging more farmers to plant wheat to offset Ukraine. At least they mentioned that it really hard to switch to a different commodity in an established commodity system.

Interesting. From what I've been seeing from the NPR types, and even the FSA monthly newsletters, is a big push for changing land to "no-till" for the environment and whatnot, and kind of a turnaround from the previous "cattle are evil fart heads" push. I'm no-till, as are most of the grazing lands around here. No-till and intensive grazing management is something I've been able to get behind, even with the "enviro" roots to it. Mostly because it lets me be lazier.  :laugh:

So NPR et al talking about doing more rotational farming with the increased carbon load is interesting. Sort of like how they are kinda turning into warmongers lately.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2022, 04:19:33 PM »
Interesting. From what I've been seeing from the NPR types, and even the FSA monthly newsletters, is a big push for changing land to "no-till" for the environment and whatnot, and kind of a turnaround from the previous "cattle are evil fart heads" push. I'm no-till, as are most of the grazing lands around here. No-till and intensive grazing management is something I've been able to get behind, even with the "enviro" roots to it. Mostly because it lets me be lazier.  :laugh:

So NPR et al talking about doing more rotational farming with the increased carbon load is interesting. Sort of like how they are kinda turning into warmongers lately.

Actually no till and reduced tillage is pretty common here in Iowa with farmers who rotate between corn and soy. This varies due to soil types. We do have a lot of corn on corn growers also because the soil isn't that productive (too heavy) for soybeans and corn on corn requires deep fall tillage and a lot of nitrogen fertilizer to get a profitable harvest.

There is also starting to have a small farmer driven initiative to have on farm sales of meat and other agricultural products (not just eggs vegetables). I saw a sign out at a small organic farmer I know the other day with pork, chicken and lamb meat for sale.

I'm starting to see some of the small town lockers even stepping up with their license and offering retail meat from their own kill, even interstate sales. The one (owned by Boer expats) I love to go to for my bacon and brats just bought another building to turn their offal into fresh pet food.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2022, 05:20:33 PM »
My wife's work friend we have been buying beef from is expanding this year.

The winter wheat is looking pretty good around here but not sure how you plant more at this time of year. 

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2022, 05:20:59 PM »
My Dad finally decided to butcher a cow instead of selling it.  The local butcher is backed up.  It has been a month or more and I am not sure if he has been able to drop it off yet. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2022, 05:23:59 PM »
My Dad finally decided to butcher a cow instead of selling it.  The local butcher is backed up.  It has been a month or more and I am not sure if he has been able to drop it off yet. 

Its a lot of work but three people with a front end loader can do it in a day at home. That was a long drunk evening but we sure ate good cutting it off and tossing on a grate on the woodstove.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2022, 05:51:08 PM »
My wife's work friend we have been buying beef from is expanding this year.

The winter wheat is looking pretty good around here but not sure how you plant more at this time of year.

There is spring planted wheat too.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2022, 06:32:18 PM »
It won't dry out enough around here for months to plant anything.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2022, 06:42:17 PM »
Get rid of our ethanol mandates and subsidies.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2022, 09:02:52 PM »

Yes.  Ethanol is a net energy consumer (you get less energy out than you put in to make it in the first place), and it has a far lower energy content than gasoline. 

What makes sense:
Nuclear
Hydro
More drilling
Solar thermal (mirrors pointed at a boiler, not photovoltaic)

And if you need to make an petroleum fuel substitute, Fischer-Tropsch fuel synthesis.  You put in CO2, H2O and electricity, and you get out actual hydrocarbons of your choice.  Real gasoline or diesel can be made with the same energy content as petroleum distillates (ethanol and biodiesel have lower energy contents, so worse mileage, etc.)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2022, 08:55:45 AM »
Yes.  Ethanol is a net energy consumer (you get less energy out than you put in to make it in the first place), and it has a far lower energy content than gasoline. 

And you can bet any politician who proposes getting rid ethanol mandates and subsidies will get savaged by the Enviros and MSM for wanting to destroy farmers and the planet. Feelz trump facts nowadays.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

HankB

• friend
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2022, 09:04:04 AM »
Amen to that. Diluting gasoline with 10% ethanol is supposed to only produce a 3% fuel economy penalty, but when they mandated ethanol dilution up in the Twin Cities area in Minnesota several decades ago, my colleagues and I all saw fuel economy penalties 2-4 times that. (Got similar results here in TX as well.)

Why ethanol? Well, one of the local news organizations back in Minnesota noticed a VERY strong correlation between state legislators who voted for an ethanol dilution mandate and those who received campaign contributions from ADM - Archer-Daniels-Midland - a major producer of fuel grade ethanol.

Duh.  >:D
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2022, 09:07:59 AM »
Amen to that. Diluting gasoline with 10% ethanol is supposed to only produce a 3% fuel economy penalty, but when they mandated ethanol dilution up in the Twin Cities area in Minnesota several decades ago, my colleagues and I all saw fuel economy penalties 2-4 times that. (Got similar results here in TX as well.)

Why ethanol? Well, one of the local news organizations back in Minnesota noticed a VERY strong correlation between state legislators who voted for an ethanol dilution mandate and those who received campaign contributions from ADM - Archer-Daniels-Midland - a major producer of fuel grade ethanol.

Duh.  >:D

This is my shocked face
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes