Author Topic: Breastmilk Weirdness in Sweden/Possibly NSFW  (Read 4042 times)

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
Breastmilk Weirdness in Sweden/Possibly NSFW
« on: September 04, 2009, 04:17:21 PM »
Swedish dad in bid for breast milk

Swedish father Ragnar Bengtsson, 26, has entered into an experiment that he hopes will help him breastfeed his future children.

On Tuesday, the Stockholm family man began stimulating his breasts with a pump in a bid to produce milk.

"Anything that doesn't do any harm is worth trying out. And if it works it could prove very important for men's ability to get much closer to their children at an early stage," Bengtsson told The Local.

His efforts are to be documented by Swedish TV8, with the first instalment scheduled to air at 9pm on Wednesday on the Aschberg show. Bengtsson also maintains a blog on the station's website, the title of which translates as: 'The Milkman - One Drop at a Time'.

Bengtsson is preparing to pump his breasts at three-hour intervals every day until the beginning of December. As a full time economics student at Stockholm University, he is not always going to be in a position to pump in private.

"I'm going to have to pull out the pump during lectures. But really it doesn't bother me if it makes people uncomfortable. If they have issues with it that's their problem," he said.

Male lactation is a relatively common side effect of hormone treatments, but Bengtsson has no plans to chemically induce the process.

"If it works and the milk turns out to have a high nutritional value it could be a real breakthrough," he said.

Bengtsson has a 2-year-old son who is in no way involved in the experiment, but the Stockholm dad doesn't rule our breastfeeding any future kids. Not everybody has acclaimed his quest for fathers' milk, however.

"There have been a lot of strong reactions. Some people think it's completely sick," he said.

Sigbritt Werner, professor of endocrinology at Karolinska Institutet in Stockholm, told The Local that it could be possible for Bengtsson to produce "a drop or two" after three or four months.

"Women breastfeed after they've been bathing in estrogen during a nine month pregnancy, so obviously it takes some time. But if he works on it regularly he'll likely notice a layer of tissue forming beneath the areola and it should be possible to produce enough of the hormone prolactin to cause lactation," she said.

But Werner stressed that while she was interested in the subject, she was more keen for men to use their breasts to comfort their children.

"Men often have trouble finding things. And if the mother is out, the child is screaming and they can't find the pacifier I'm sure there are a lot of men who give their baby their breasts.

"Healthy children know instinctively that the breast has a dual function. One gives them milk, the other gives them warmth and a cosy bond. Men don't need to strive to produce milk but they should take the opportunity to get closer to their child by offering them their breasts in the same way as women," she said.

Paul O'Mahony (paul.omahony@thelocal.se/08 656 6513)

This better not be you, Viking.  :laugh:
This article is... peculiar. I can't say much else, because my mind is still boggled. I decided to share this weirdness with you. How many of you males wish you could lactate?  :laugh:

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Breastmilk Weirdness in Sweden/Possibly NSFW
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2009, 04:23:05 PM »
This article is... peculiar. I can't say much else, because my mind is still boggled. I decided to share this weirdness with you. How many of you males wish you could lactate?  :laugh:

Yet another problem of our "modern" society.

Connecting to the HBD thread- too many people think male and female roles are simply "social constructs" and thus think a male can fill any role as good as a female (or vice versa). They're going to find out genetics will prove them wrong again and again.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

red headed stranger

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2009, 04:23:49 PM »
I'd definitely have to do some shaving around the area in question.  

Those who learn from history are doomed to watch others repeat it

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2009, 04:29:47 PM »
Isn't this normal for Sweden?  Aren't they far more "progressive" than we?

Don't men sit to urinate there?

"From Townhall.com -- Young women in Sweden, Germany and Australia have a new cause: They want men to sit down while urinating. This demand comes partly from concerns about hygiene -- avoiding the splash factor -- but, as Jasper Gerard reports in the English magazine The Spectator, ''more crucially because a man standing up to urinate is deemed to be triumphing in his masculinity, and by extension, degrading women.'' One argument is that if women can't do it, then men shouldn't either. Another is that standing upright while relieving oneself is ''a nasty macho gesture,'' suggestive of male violence.

A feminist group at Stockholm University is campaigning to ban all urinals from campus, and one Swedish elementary school has already removed them. Some Swedish women are pressuring their men to take a stand, so to speak. Yola, a 25-year-old Swedish trainee psychiatrist, says she dumps boyfriends who insist on standing. ''What else can I do?,'' said her new boyfriend, Ingvar, who sits."
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2009, 04:35:08 PM »
How is this a problem?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2009, 04:54:48 PM »
Whatever.  Let people do what they want, so long as I'm not "expected" to do the same.  :O
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2009, 05:04:42 PM »
How is this a problem?

Um, 'cause the dude is clearly nuts? 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2009, 06:25:26 PM »
"I'm going to have to pull out the pump during lectures. But really it doesn't bother me if it makes people uncomfortable. If they have issues with it that's their problem," he said.

Judge Donald Thompson said the same thing.

http://us.yhs.search.yahoo.com/avg/search?fr=yhs-avg-chrome&type=yahoo_avg_hs2-tb-web_chrome_us&p=judge+donald+thompson
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

crt360

• friend
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2009, 07:07:04 PM »

A feminist group at Stockholm University is campaigning to ban all urinals from campus, and one Swedish elementary school has already removed them.

Some Swedish women are pressuring their men to take a stand, so to speak. Yola, a 25-year-old Swedish trainee psychiatrist, says she dumps boyfriends who insist on standing. ''What else can I do?,'' said her new boyfriend, Ingvar, who sits."

Who needs urinals?  They have trees and bushes on campus, don't they?  =D

It sounds like Yola really wants a girlfriend.
For entertainment purposes only.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2009, 07:58:54 PM »
either i'm getting more normal or the world is getting stranger....
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2009, 08:24:01 PM »
Um, 'cause the dude is clearly nuts? 

I fail to see a problem here.

If the experiment succeeds and he produces delicious breastmilk, then clearly he's not nuts.

If it fails, it fails.

I fail to see how it is unethical or immoral for him to try to modify his own body in ways that appeal to him.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2009, 08:37:45 PM »
You're just jealous because you didn't think of it first, MB.
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2009, 09:05:38 PM »
how would you know his milk was delicious?
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2009, 09:47:15 PM »
...as Jasper Gerard reports in the English magazine The Spectator, ''more crucially because a man standing up to urinate is deemed to be triumphing in his masculinity, and by extension, degrading women.''

Satire. It's gotta be satire, folks.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2009, 09:47:48 PM »
how would you know his milk was delicious?

Well. Breast milk is known to be delicious, if you're a baby.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2009, 09:48:47 PM »
Milk a cow, you get a gallon.

Milk a bull, you get a friend for life.
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2009, 12:24:17 AM »
I fail to see a problem here.

I'm sorry.  
« Last Edit: September 05, 2009, 12:30:30 AM by fistful »

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2009, 12:45:01 AM »
Isn't this normal for Sweden?  Aren't they far more "progressive" than we?

Don't men sit to urinate there?

"From Townhall.com -- Young women in Sweden, Germany and Australia have a new cause: They want men to sit down while urinating. This demand comes partly from concerns about hygiene -- avoiding the splash factor -- but, as Jasper Gerard reports in the English magazine The Spectator, ''more crucially because a man standing up to urinate is deemed to be triumphing in his masculinity, and by extension, degrading women.'' One argument is that if women can't do it, then men shouldn't either. Another is that standing upright while relieving oneself is ''a nasty macho gesture,'' suggestive of male violence.

A feminist group at Stockholm University is campaigning to ban all urinals from campus, and one Swedish elementary school has already removed them. Some Swedish women are pressuring their men to take a stand, so to speak. Yola, a 25-year-old Swedish trainee psychiatrist, says she dumps boyfriends who insist on standing. ''What else can I do?,'' said her new boyfriend, Ingvar, who sits."

Judging us by the actions of a bunch of misguided feminazis is like declaring the US to be nuts merely because you have Diane Feinstein, Nancy Pelosi and Chuck Schumer. Yeah, feminazis are turning into a pest species over here, but I can honestly say that I have yet to meet ANYONE who agrees with them. Then again, I live in a small town. I guess we are a bit more sensible. Bit more conservative (ie openminded, but not so much that our brains have fallen out).

Not me, praised be Odin. :P
Seeing that I will never, ever have kids, I shan't have this delicate dilemma.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2009, 01:04:43 AM »
If you say feminazi, do you feminiGodwin the feminithread?   :O

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2009, 01:27:39 PM »
While I will profess a fondness for the traditional source of breast milk, this guy is a bit odd.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2009, 03:37:21 PM »
There's a saying about tits on a boar hog...   

Maybe we can get viking to translate it out and email it to this nut..

Milk a cow, you get a gallon.

Milk a bull, you get a friend for life.

Heh.  Ever see the movie "Hatari"?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0056059/

Sean Mercer: Pockets, what are you doing?

Pockets: I'm trying to milk this goat.

Sean Mercer: Well, that's the wrong kind of a goat...  that's a ram!

:lol: