Author Topic: A good Christmas, this ain't...  (Read 4052 times)

Preacherman

A good Christmas, this ain't...
« on: December 23, 2005, 10:23:58 AM »
Yesterday the fan on my furnace stopped working.  Had the repairman in this morning, and guess what?  Although only installed in 1999, the unit was actually a refurbished one dating back to 1987, so there's no 10-year warranty on it, as had been supposed.  And, of course, the company that installed it back then (before I bought the place) has closed up shop in the meantime, so there's no recourse.  So, after getting quotes for repairs versus replacement, it looks like I'm out $2.5K for a new furnace and ancillary equipment.

Then, having absorbed the news, I went to the bathroom for a quiet pee, and found my feet wet...  you guessed it - cistern cracked!  Must have been the cooler night with no furnace!  So I now have to get that replaced.

And, of course, to make life more interesting, no-one's available to do anything until "next week sometime" - it's Christmas, after all!

Anyone want to adopt a cold, wet Preacherman this Christmas?
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional!

Please visit my blog: http://bayourenaissanceman.blogspot.com/

« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2005, 10:40:39 AM »
I'm so sorry to hear this.

Gonna say this...and I know how Reality works - still...

Really sucks that good folks like Preacherman get hits like this and there are bastards out in the world getting all the breaks.

After all the medical problems, after all the things you do and continue to do for folks.   Yeah I know bad stuff happens to good folks - still ain't fair!

Well I got wind of a sib coming to town.  If plans fall through on something I had planned, my contingnecy is to hide out somewhere. Don't care to around someone as crazy as a road tick...matter of principles.

Don't give up before the miracle happens they say. Perhaps a miracle will occur and matters fixed sooner and less monies.

[here I am giving miracle pitches to a Clergy...oh boy...]

Humm....I wonder if any good used Furnaces avail some insurance company has paid for down there from storms? Some HVAC got a deal on a bid?

Stay well my friend, hope a miracle comes your way very very soon.

Steve

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2005, 10:49:39 AM »
If you're anywhere near San Diego, you're welcome at my home.  It's 66 at my place right now, and sunny Smiley

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2005, 11:18:06 AM »
I went to the bathroom for a quiet pee, and found my feet wet.
You REALLY had me worried for a minute there... Cheesy

Just FYI and not that it'll make you feel any better but even if it WAS a new furnace in 1999 the warrantee on the fan would have expired in one year. Only the heat exchanger would have been warrateed any length of time. Chances are they actually replaced the heat exchanger in 1999 which means it should have plenty of life left in it as well as some warrantee time. But if the rest of the furnace is a POS it's worth replacing. If it's gas or propane spend the extra money and go for a high efficiency model.

I'd adopt  a cold wet Preacherman any day of the week. But you're way down south IIRC... Sad
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2005, 11:33:00 AM »
Hey Preacherman...  I just happen to have an almost new furnace blower at home.  If you can take some measurements, maybe we could get very lucky.

When we built this building in 1976, we installed electric heat because there was a waiting list for gas.  The electric bill was so high we got a new gas furnace the following summer.  A local heating guy told me to save the squirrel cage from the electric one, so I did.  It's still at home and still like new.  I do know it is 220v, but I would have to measure it to see if it could work.  If so, I would ship it out Monday.

Oh, and you are welcome here, but Colorado is probably not where you want to spend the winter.

Strings

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2005, 11:40:55 AM »
Hmmm... depending on where you are, i MIHT be able to find somewhere you could stay. but I'm not sure where you're located (other than "down South"). Email me, if you still need a place to crash...

280plus

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2005, 11:41:54 AM »
Tell them you're in a bind and are there any scratch and dent models available, you might get lucky that way too.

Too bad you're so far. Honsestly though, the more I think about it, $2500 for a furnace swapout seems a bit steep to me. Either that or I don't charge enough... shocked

Because they cost me about $1000 here my guess is they've doubled their price on the furnace and kicked in $500 for labor and incidentals. Shop around you may be able to do a little better.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2005, 11:51:12 AM »
Preach,
Me and SWMBO are in Michigan.  Looooong ways away, sir, or otherwise you'd be entirely welcome to stay.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

bermbuster

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2005, 12:03:58 PM »
Sorry to hear your bad news.  Wherever you are "down south" I hope you are south of the freezing level.

Art Eatman

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2005, 12:14:19 PM »
Preach, if I didn't already have a houseful of Germans, you could come on out.  What the heck, it's 80F outside, right now.

Oleg ain't that far away from ya.  He always needs some uplifting of spirits, right?  "Hey, Oleg!  Guess what?  You WIN me!" Cheesy

Art
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2005, 12:17:29 PM »
I have a sleeper sofa in the living room.  It got down to 48 degrees last night beachside.  We're deep frying another turkey Sunday...
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Brian Williams

• friend
  • I want one of these
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2005, 12:23:39 PM »
Lancaster, I'll leave a light on...
Brian
<><
:)

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2005, 12:53:29 PM »
Just thinking, the fan went out on my shop furnace 3 or 4 years ago.  The bill to replace it was under $200.  The furnace was installed in 1977, and the repairman said it was still a good unit, and didn't need replaced.

Maybe you need to shop around?  Seems like every other business here is an HVAC shop.

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2005, 01:01:59 PM »

I gots an idea!!

ROAD TRIP!!

Always liked the line in the movie with Sam Elliot as the UC  " You want to shoot or drive?"

Lets see...I head further South and snag Preacherman, then we just start visiting folks.  I figure Art won't note two more folks shooting in his backy yard ...
Head over East and visit some more folks...
Run Up TN way and SURPRISE Oleg...
I know a "shortcut" to PA and pop in and Eat Mrs. Williams home cooking. [Brian won't know we are there, he will be reloading ammo for his gals].
Make a Michigan Run and say hello to Barbara, then go steal grampster's Tootsie Rolls.

Wild West Run to CO, out of Sandy's Salsa... have to stop in IN, need to park in the yard of ElTejon and leave a  toy shark on his window sill... then go see kudu..We can visit with his girls...

In the meantime I'm sure we can find used Stuff to fix Preacherman's Place.

"You got any guns?"
"Officer I got a Clergy as passenger, with a Toliet in the Truck bed - what do I need a gun for?"

Whew...Illinois was a close one ....Tongue

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2005, 01:16:15 PM »
I hope you're getting a heat pump. sad
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

Sylvilagus Aquaticus

• friend
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/sylvilagus
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2005, 01:42:54 PM »
After spending 12 days without a working tub/shower due to a cheap landlord, the furnace went out at Casa del CrackedSlab.  Took the HVAC guy 3 days and nearly burning down the place with an electrical fire to replace the furnace unit (it's gas). I'm convinced it's the cheapest scratch and dent no-name unit available. Works reasonably well, though, even though it's competing against air infiltration from all the corners of the house.

Fortunately, we put in an offer on a house and it was accepted last week.  The inspection came back mostly good, but- yep- I figured as much- the furnaces are both non-functional. The HVAC guy mentioned above went out (on the q/t  to the slum lord I rent from), inspected the furnaces, and repaired one so at least half the house will be warm prior to closing. The other one is DRT. They're 20 years old, so I expected as much.  He says he can put in a quality furnace to replace it for about $1600, installed.  Sounds like I'm about to be happy and warm.

I guess I could sneak him across the state line, Peter.

Regards,
Rabbit.
To punish me for my contempt for authority, fate made me an authority myself.
Albert Einstein

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2005, 01:45:45 PM »
What is it with 2005? So many bad things happening to so many good people.

Preacherman, Hunter Rose and I live in Wisconsin. Don't know where you are, but IIRC, it's some distance from here.

Is it absolutely necessary to get a new furnace? If the heating parts aren't cracked, just replacing the fan should get you by.

And a toilet isn't that expensive, nor hard to install. I know you have your back problems, but a couple of friends could do it in an hour or so.

If none of the above is an option, just know that you have my empathy.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2005, 02:15:23 PM »
$1600 is a good price...

telewinz

• friend
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2005, 02:16:37 PM »
Mixed Christmas for me...
Almost kicked my 21 year old son out of the house, lost he job and he drinks.
BUT!
My daughter just got accepted (top 10%) at a medical school
I am expecting a promotion after the first of the year.
Such is life I guess.  You win some, you lose some.
Career Corrections

Smoke

« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2005, 02:37:28 PM »
Thought you was in Loosanna......?

It's 70 degrees here today....pee outside....problem solved.  Sposed to be warm all weekend and into next week.....pee outside....
WE don't need no indoor plumbin'.  Throw on another blanket and let the dogs on the bed.

Just here to help.

Smoke

Oleg Volk

• Administrator
    • Volkstudio Blog
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2005, 02:50:17 PM »
Peter, check your email.

Strings

« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2005, 03:00:11 PM »
sheesh... what a bunch of unfriendly, uncharitable, cantankerous folk here! :neener:

MaterDei

• friend
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2005, 03:11:48 PM »
Father,

I'm sorry for your problems, but please, let's keep things in perspective, shall we?  The joy of Christmas totally transends things like leaky toilets and absent children.  

You're welcome here anytime, just PM me for my phone number and my address.  I'll even pay to get you here, just say the word.  A visiting priest at Christmas time, even one who is very cold and smells like urine, is priceless.

God bless and Merry Christmas,

Michael

matis

• friend
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2005, 04:40:59 PM »
Quote from: MaterDei
Father,

I'm sorry for your problems, but please, let's keep things in perspective, shall we?  The joy of Christmas totally transends things like leaky toilets and absent children.  

You're welcome here anytime, just PM me for my phone number and my address.  I'll even pay to get you here, just say the word.  A visiting priest at Christmas time, even one who is very cold and smells like urine, is priceless.

God bless and Merry Christmas,

Michael
MaterDei,

Your post is priceless!

Merry Christmas,

matis
Si vis pacem; para bellum.

P95Carry

« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2005, 06:26:12 PM »
Peter - that all sux, bigtime.

Well PA ain't too close to Loosiana but here too - even with a bit of camping you'd find a warm nest to hang out.

Hope things get fixed before too long but more so - hope you find a place to stay over just a while.  You deserve way better than this sorta stuff.

Take care.
Chris - P95
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.
Rohrbaugh interest/ownership? - Rohrbaugh Forum Rohrbaugh R9 FAQ Site