Author Topic: Modern Men are Vain  (Read 4050 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Modern Men are Vain
« on: April 02, 2015, 10:51:41 AM »
Insta-Pecs? Seriously? I'd rather have a beer gut.

That awkward moment, 24 hours later, when the saline dissipates and the chick you picked up at 0200 at the bar sees the real you. Gotta be at least as bad as when they find out you wear a toupee.

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2015/04/02/how-to-get-ripped-chest-without-working-out/?intcmp=features
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

brimic

• friends
Re: Modern Men are Vain
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2015, 12:14:58 PM »
Triggered!
This is because women (and men) expect men to look like underwear models from GQ and Playgirl. The male body has become so commercialized that that the average male body is not desirable anymore. Men have to resort to dangerous diets, plastic surgery, and injections to even hope to look like a model.

:lol:
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2015, 12:35:25 PM »
Or you could do some fraking pullups..........

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2015, 12:51:47 PM »

Don't be silly.  The modern paradigm is instant gratification without effort.
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

brimic

• friends
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2015, 01:56:05 PM »

But but but, that enlarges and strengthens the back and muscles- you know, muscles that are actually used in day to day activities and don't get overdeveloped just for show! Neanderthal!
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2015, 02:40:30 PM »
He-man, Spider man, Captain America...etc.  And then women have an "unfair body standard" because of Barbie?  Puhleeze.

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2015, 06:09:30 PM »
the funny thing is the stereotype is of woman putting so much effort into looks to attract men, yet men are the ones who complain about not getting enough sex.

maybe if the men were getting all the social pressure, everyone would be happy, since the woman would be more likely to get it on if they felt less pressure and the men were sexier looking, thus more men getting laid.

*giggles*
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2015, 07:50:52 PM »
Things have changed with guys and physiques over the last several decades. It seems like just about every pop singer and actor is ripped. Going back years and looking at the macho celebrities--John Wayne, Paul Newman, Clint Eastwood, George C. Scott, Kirk Douglas, etc---none of them were what you'd even remotely call ripped. Muscular, maybe, but no six-pack abs or sculpted biceps.

I can't remember a movie in which Humphrey Bogart had his shirt off.  I can't remember a movie in which Mark Wahlberg doesn't have his shirt off at least once.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2015, 08:01:56 PM »
the funny thing is the stereotype is of woman putting so much effort into looks to attract men, yet men are the ones who complain about not getting enough sex.

maybe if the men were getting all the social pressure, everyone would be happy, since the woman would be more likely to get it on if they felt less pressure and the men were sexier looking, thus more men getting laid.

*giggles*

Most men, well at least the ones I know really don't give a flying *expletive deleted*ck about competing against other men on how they look. When is the last time you heard a man complain about another man wearing the same shirt at the same party?
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2015, 08:52:57 PM »
Most men, well at least the ones I know really don't give a flying *expletive deleted*ck about competing against other men on how they look. When is the last time you heard a man complain about another man wearing the same shirt at the same party?

How is competing with other men have anything to do with getting your sexy look on for the ladies?
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2015, 08:56:25 PM »

How is competing with other men have anything to do with getting your sexy look on for the ladies?

Women do it to get the attention of a man.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2015, 09:27:38 PM »
I have been told that the reason women actually dress up and obsess over combinations and shoes and jewelry is to impress other women. A competition/status thing of sorts.  So, what women wear is for other women, and what they don't wear is for the men.

And I have also been told that all you have to wear as a man to look good to women is a nice button down collared shirt. Go no further. Apparently we have it easy and simple.

"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2015, 09:44:25 PM »
I have been told that the reason women actually dress up and obsess over combinations and shoes and jewelry is to impress other women. A competition/status thing of sorts.  So, what women wear is for other women, and what they don't wear is for the men.

And I have also been told that all you have to wear as a man to look good to women is a nice button down collared shirt. Go no further. Apparently we have it easy and simple.

to a degree, woman dress to impress other woman.

to a degree, woman dress to impress men.

the trick is dressing to impress woman is not the same as dressing to impress men, and dressing to be attractive (in different ways) for both is a challenge.

Woman are generally unimpressed or down right offended by what other woman wear to impress men (or what they think will impress men) and men don't generally pick up on the nuances of wardrobe that woman notice about other woman. Example: cleavage. Lot's of cleavage is for men, less is to be acceptable to other woman.

also, you were lied to. it takes a bit more than just a nice, button down shirt. Clean and coordinated is also necessary.

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2015, 10:12:17 PM »
Coordinated as in wear pants and shoes too? I could do that...   :lol:
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2015, 12:07:30 AM »
also, you were lied to. it takes a bit more than just a nice, button down shirt. Clean and coordinated is also necessary.

I heard you also have to make sure your earring is in the right ear, or maybe it was left ear, or it means your a gay.

I'm not signing this, so everyone will think 230RN posted it.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Calumus

• friend
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2015, 12:16:42 AM »

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2015, 12:17:36 AM »

I heard you also have to make sure your earring is in the right ear, or maybe it was left ear, or it means your a gay.

I'm not signing this, so everyone will think 230RN posted it.

shut up and go make yourself pretty for your wife. You might get more out of it that a fancy shmancy dinner.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2015, 12:22:42 AM »

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2015, 05:41:58 AM »
Things have changed with guys and physiques over the last several decades. It seems like just about every pop singer and actor is ripped. Going back years and looking at the macho celebrities--John Wayne, Paul Newman, Clint Eastwood, George C. Scott, Kirk Douglas, etc---none of them were what you'd even remotely call ripped. Muscular, maybe, but no six-pack abs or sculpted biceps.

I can't remember a movie in which Humphrey Bogart had his shirt off.  I can't remember a movie in which Mark Wahlberg doesn't have his shirt off at least once.

Bogart had his shirt off  in African Queen. The part where he had to swim to pull the shaft and fix it.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2015, 07:04:04 AM »
Bogart had his shirt off  in African Queen. The part where he had to swim to pull the shaft and fix it.

Good catch. Kind of interesting that you remember that so readily, but good catch.  :P

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2015, 09:48:19 AM »
We also have people discussing male thigh gap, these days.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/21/nyregion/MTA-targets-manspreading-on-new-york-city-subways.html
I don't think that is about "thigh gap" or at least not the same.  That article is just about some men being inconsiderate A-holes.  
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2015, 09:53:29 AM »

I stand corrected. I'll have to watch the movie to see if he had six-pack abs and bulging pec's.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2015, 10:55:11 AM »
I stand corrected. I'll have to watch the movie to see if he had six-pack abs and bulging pec's.
I was thinking the guy who played Tarzan wasn't a bodybuilder either.  I thought I heard he was a swmmer though.  Most NFL players were not the work out kings you see today. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2015, 05:16:19 PM »
I don't think that is about "thigh gap" or at least not the same.  That article is just about some men being inconsiderate A-holes.  

It was a joke.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2015, 05:32:27 PM »

no, it's an article about woman being hypocrites and sexist.

Note the second picture of "manspreading" with a woman on the other side, who has her ankles crossed and is taking up the same amount of seat.