Author Topic: USPS incompetence  (Read 6091 times)

zahc

• friend
USPS incompetence
« on: January 15, 2012, 09:36:33 PM »
Since we moved here about a year ago, we get a couple letters a week from previous residents. We tried to mark the letters with big bold letters RETURN TO SENDER but the mailman would ever take them back, and would just leave them in the mailbox. We tried other variants like writing NOBODY BY THAT NAME AT THIS ADDRESS but on the few occasions that the mailman actually took the letters back, they would re-deliver them a few days later, with our writing still on them. At this point, some of these letters have gone through this cycle at least 3 times.

My wife finally took a big bundle of them to the post office and explained to them that we keep getting these letters, they are not for us, and we don't know what to do with them. The lady at the post office crossed out the addresses and said she would see what she could do.

A week later, guess what we found in our mailbox? The whole bundle of letters, with the postal lady's writing on them and everything.

How illegal is it to destroy these letters? I don't have time to individually contact the senders and tell them their addressee dosen't live here any more. I don't think that would work any better.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Re: USPS incompetence
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 09:39:46 PM »
Trash them. You did as much as any reasonable person would.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012, 09:41:48 PM »

This.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2012, 09:49:33 PM »
But maybe there's money inside . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2012, 09:55:58 PM »
Several times a month, I get mail for someone else.  I am luckier, though, in that I just drop them in the outbound mail and they don't come back to me.  It does make me wonder where my mail is going, though.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2012, 10:00:33 PM »
I throw away a large volume of mail addressed to previous residents of this property.  Including an arrest warrent once!   =D  (...for a previous resident...)

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2012, 10:02:29 PM »
I throw away a large volume of mail addressed to previous residents of this property.  Including an arrest warrent once!   =D  (...for a previous resident...)

They send them in the mail? I thought they just waved it in your face when you asked why they were handcuffing you....
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

zahc

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2012, 10:03:52 PM »
I guess the worst that could happen is I get sent away for a few months to some white collar resort. I should be so lucky...you know they have conjugal visits there?
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2012, 10:07:05 PM »
I guess the worst that could happen is I get sent away for a few months to some white collar resort. I should be so lucky...you know they have conjugal visits there?

Conjugal visits? Mmmm. Not that I know of. Y'know, minimum-security prison is no picnic. I have a client in there right now. He says the trick is: kick someone's ass the first day, or become someone's bitch. Then everything will be all right.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2012, 10:11:00 PM »

If it had been for you, it might have made Saturday morning a little more interesting.   :laugh:

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2012, 10:19:25 PM »

Yeah, but the visitor comes from the next cell over.   :O
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2012, 12:08:04 PM »
Several times a month, I get mail for someone else.  I am luckier, though, in that I just drop them in the outbound mail and they don't come back to me.  It does make me wonder where my mail is going, though.

^^^ This.

It happens to us at home. OFTEN. Our new route carrier (as of about 18 months ago) is a young(ish) woman. Nice enough, but has the IQ of a pet rock. We get mail for people all over town. Usually the correct street number, the only issue is that the street is on the other side of town.

I also have a post office box. I've had it for ten years. I still get first class mail addressed to the previous box holder, and it doesn't seem to matter how many times I tell the nice ladies behind the counter that Mr. Spivak has not been using that box for at least ten years, I keep getting his mail.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2012, 09:24:59 PM »
To the best of my recollection, I've never had a letter come back on which I've printed "Return to Sender - Not at this address" and reposted. They have always disappeared into the land of the lost that is the USPS.

I wonder if this would work...place a large sticky label over the entire "send to" address.  Printed on the label is "Return to Sender - Not at this address" or something similar.  Toss the letter back in the mail.  The USPS now has only the return address to work with, and will actually return the letter to the sender. Just maybe they will get a clue.  If the letter isn't returned to the sender, it will likely end up in the dead letter office since the "send to" address is covered.
In any event, the letter is out of your hair.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

erictank

• friends
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2012, 01:04:53 AM »
To the best of my recollection, I've never had a letter come back on which I've printed "Return to Sender - Not at this address" and reposted. They have always disappeared into the land of the lost that is the USPS.

I wonder if this would work...place a large sticky label over the entire "send to" address.  Printed on the label is "Return to Sender - Not at this address" or something similar.  Toss the letter back in the mail.  The USPS now has only the return address to work with, and will actually return the letter to the sender. Just maybe they will get a clue.  If the letter isn't returned to the sender, it will likely end up in the dead letter office since the "send to" address is covered.
In any event, the letter is out of your hair.

May have to try that next time.  We get plenty of mail for previous residents (mosst recent previous residents have been gone 2.5 years now; we get mail for two other families at this address, every so often, no idea how long THEY'VE been gone), and most notably, last summer into fall we got a small USPS package for the guy before last who lived here.  Not once.  Not twice.  Not even three times.  This thing came back FOUR FREAKIN' TIMES. Don't think anything got written on it the first time it was sent back; second and third return notations were fairly low-key.  Fourth return... was not.  Nothing actionable, but I was obviously pretty hot about it, and whoever got the thing back obviously (finally) got the point not to send it again.

They probably spent more shipping that little box to us 4 times than the cost of whatever was inside.

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2012, 05:25:16 AM »
Maybe it was gold...  =)
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2012, 08:59:54 AM »
With the automated sorting and processing equipment that is now in use it's not surprising that this is happening.

Your best bet (what I've been told) to keep this from happening?

On the "TO" section, look for a barcode on the address. If the bar code is there, black it out or otherwise cover it up. This will often kick it out of the automated sorting and gives it a better chance at it not coming back to you.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2012, 12:32:49 AM »
I thought I would chime in here on a letter I got today.  The letter was addressed to a 2nd Lieutenant of a different name in Pensacola, FL.  I have never been in the military and I am in Texas.  I appears the house number and street are the same as mine, but the city and state are for Florida.  The zip code written is 775  1550 so I guess that may have been what get it misdirected.  Do you know anyone who uses a 7 digit zip code?  I assume for now that the local sorters and delivery people don't even look at the city and state, assuming that it is in the right city. 

I'll drop it back at the Post Office tomorrow.  Hopefully, it won't come back.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2012, 06:51:53 PM »
 Do you know anyone who uses a 7 digit zip code? 
Japan
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2012, 07:12:17 PM »
 The zip code written is 775  1550 so I guess that may have been what get it misdirected.  Do you know anyone who uses a 7 digit zip code?  I assume for now that the local sorters and delivery people don't even look at the city and state, assuming that it is in the right city. 

Maybe the first two numbers were somehow omitted.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2012, 07:54:29 AM »
Zip codes for Pensacola

32501, 32502, 32503, 32504, 32505, 32506, 32507, 32508, 32509, 32511, 32512, 32513, 32514, 32516, 32520, 32521, 32522, 32523, 32524, 32526, 32534, 32559, 32573, 32574, 32575, 32576, 32581, 32582, 32589, 32590, 32591, 32592, 32593, 32594, 32595, 32596, 32597, 32598.

I don't see anything close to what you got.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2012, 04:23:01 PM »
Looks suspiciously like a telephone number (sans area code).
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2012, 07:48:35 PM »
I get mail for 4 previous owners of my house.  Most of it is junk.  Occasionally it's an annual shot reminder from a vet for three dogs I've never met, belonging to a person I've never met.  Sometimes it's a college catalog.  I assume that the previous owners have found vets and colleges local to their current residence.

If it's not addressed to me, it goes in the "circular file" unless it seems to be something important, which is rare.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2012, 08:54:39 PM »
I get a lot of mail to a previous resident here as well and have let the postman know that. Still get them. Now when I get one, if it looks "important", I open it, get the sender's contact info and call them and let them know that the person no longer lives here then I destroy the letter & contents (It has been notices, reciepts etc., no checks or any real important stuff to date).
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2012, 02:31:02 AM »
I lived here since 1991.  I still get mail for the two prior owners/residents of this house.  Both of whom happen to be deceased.

I check for gold before tossing their mail in the trash.  ;/

I also frequently get mail for the house with same number but NORTH **** St. and put it out the next day.  I also wonder how much of mine goes to their address and hopefully they send it back out.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 06:18:39 AM by scout26 »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2012, 06:34:55 AM »
Screw the USPS. They ignored a submitted change of address form, then when I asked why the package didn't get forwarded, they blamed it on a new carrier

Then said they couldn't go get it because "the customer probably won't give it to us."

The package had a tracking number. When I plug that in, i see the old address in a text field on the site. Why a change of address form doesn't automatically change those destinations, i don't know.

Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog