Author Topic: USS Iowa on the move.  (Read 3515 times)

Chuck Dye

• friend
USS Iowa on the move.
« on: May 27, 2012, 01:45:37 PM »
Tomorrow brings another trip past the mothball fleet at Benicia CA.  I'll miss the brief glimpse of that grand old lady that trip has provided in the past.

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2012/05/27/uss_iowa_on_way_to_new_home_in_southern_california/

Maybe when she is open to the public, I'll manage a visit.
Gee, I'd love to see your data!

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Re: USS Iowa on the move.
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2012, 02:34:17 PM »
What a grand old gal.  Here is a decent slideshow of her departure at the Seattle PI website.  Nine images from different perspectives.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2012, 03:55:44 PM »
I was at the Coast Guard Sector LA/LB Change of Command on Friday. The original hope was that had weather cooperated, the Iowa might have been towed into the harbor in the background during the ceremony. That would have been a cool sight.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2012, 05:18:10 PM »
Man...  What an amazing piece of history, and an amazing bit of machinery....   

And dangit, I knew those 16" guns were big...   But the picture where the tugboat is pushing her out and you can see the two forward batteries....  Holy crap.  Give you a perspective that you can't really grasp when you see pictures of the ship alone.
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2012, 05:52:50 PM »

And dangit, I knew those 16" guns were big...   But the picture where the tugboat is pushing her out and you can see the two forward batteries....  Holy crap.  Give you a perspective that you can't really grasp when you see pictures of the ship alone.

887 feet. Three football fields long ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2012, 06:25:52 PM »

A round as big as a Volkwagen, and just a tad bit heavier.  Thank you, but No, I would not like to be underneath that when it came back down.  I was able to see some of the sand sculpturing that was done by the New Jersey from off the coast of Vietnam.  Those were big holes.

It's a sad day when there are no big guns to lead the ships of the line.  There was much to be said for the shock and awe such a ship could project not just over the horizon but around the world.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2012, 09:34:20 PM »
887 feet. Three football fields long ...
Just a foot shorter than the Essex-class fleet carrier of the same era.  Man, I love the history of the Pacific Campaign.  Just glad I wasn't there.

Edited to add:  In some alternate history, admiral Lee (TF 34) would have stayed with Taffy Three off Samar, and theIowas and the Yamato would have duked it out.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 09:44:09 PM by Hutch »
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2012, 09:56:20 PM »
The NJ came into San Diego Bay when I was there. Standing on the stern of the submarine using a 50mm lens it too 4 frames to get the whole thing in.
The definition of Warship if ever there was one.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2012, 10:26:21 PM »
Just a foot shorter than the Essex-class fleet carrier of the same era.  Man, I love the history of the Pacific Campaign.  Just glad I wasn't there.

Edited to add:  In some alternate history, admiral Lee (TF 34) would have stayed with Taffy Three off Samar, and theIowas and the Yamato would have duked it out.

Did someone say "Essex class?"  I just spent the weekend on one with my cub scout pack.  The USS Lexington, BTW...and FTW.

USS Lexington+Memorial Day on Monday = (asst) cubmaster minute that stitched together the following:
1775--Battles of Lexinton & Concord
1865--End & commemoration of Civil War (Decoration Day---->Memorial Day)
1944--Battle of Leyte Gulf (where Lex was present)
2012--On the hangar deck of the Lex with the cub scout pack.

Good stuff worthy of a post of its own.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2012, 11:55:32 PM »
I took a tour of the Lexington when it was still AD ported at Pensacola.
I was an E-3 stationed a Cory field for A school.
At the end of the tour a crusty old BMC standing watch at the brow made us show our IDs and was just about to have us confined because we were in civvies and didn't have our liberty cards. I don't know if we actually convinced h we weren't ships company or if he was just jerking us around to start with.
Either way the "Lady Lexington" was an impressive ship as well.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2012, 01:01:34 AM »

I really do believe we should keep at least one battleship on active duty.  Elsewise the wogs will act up.   [popcorn]
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2012, 07:55:41 AM »
A round as big as a Volkwagen, and just a tad bit heavier.  Thank you, but No, I would not like to be underneath that when it came back down.  I was able to see some of the sand sculpturing that was done by the New Jersey from off the coast of Vietnam.  Those were big holes.

It's a sad day when there are no big guns to lead the ships of the line.  There was much to be said for the shock and awe such a ship could project not just over the horizon but around the world.

stay safe.

Yeah. Anything that can drop a volkswagen on your head from over 20 miles away is definitely deserving of respect.... :-)
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2012, 06:32:44 PM »
I really do believe we should keep at least one battleship on active duty.  Elsewise the wogs will act up.   [popcorn]

THIS!!!
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2012, 11:04:03 PM »
"A round as big as a Volkwagen, and just a tad bit heavier."

As BIG as a VW? Uhm... not really. A 16" projectile won't seat 4.

At 2,700 pounds, though, it is as heavy as a Beetle.

The original USS Lexington, CV-2, was in her final form 888 feet long.

IIRC the Lexington and Saratoga were the longest US ships until the Midway class was commissioned near the end of the war.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 11:08:30 PM by Mike Irwin »
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2012, 01:01:12 PM »
You know, anything can be sunk (Where are Bismarck and Yamato today?) but a lot of modern anti-ship weaponry is intended for use against ships with thin steel structure. When the HMS Sheffield was struck by an Exocet missile during the Falklands war, someone asked a battleship captain how he would have reacted had his ship been hit by the same weapon. His response was something along the lines of "Sweepers, man your brooms!"
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2012, 01:05:22 PM »
"A round as big as a Volkwagen, and just a tad bit heavier."

As BIG as a VW? Uhm... not really. A 16" projectile won't seat 4.
Neither will a VW Beetle. :P  I jest, I had up to 5 in my Beetle more than once, but we were all skinny HS students back then.

At 2,700 pounds, though, it is as heavy as a Beetle.
Almost 1000lbs heavier.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2012, 01:39:46 PM »
You know, anything can be sunk (Where are Bismarck and Yamato today?) but a lot of modern anti-ship weaponry is intended for use against ships with thin steel structure. When the HMS Sheffield was struck by an Exocet missile during the Falklands war, someone asked a battleship captain how he would have reacted had his ship been hit by the same weapon. His response was something along the lines of "Sweepers, man your brooms!"

I really did laugh out loud at that. 
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2012, 03:34:34 PM »
Wanna stop the pirates in Somalia?  Send in a battleship and small support fleet.  Bet they stop pretty darned quick.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2012, 03:37:27 PM »
Wanna stop the pirates in Somalia?  Send in a battleship and small support fleet.  Bet they stop pretty darned quick.

Be like shooting flies with a .45 ACP.  In other words, awesome.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2012, 03:57:46 PM »
Assuming they're allowed to be used.

We deployed a battleship (New Jersey?) off the coast of Lebanon in the 1980s . . . IIRC, a news story at the time claimed that the guns were placed under the control of an Army general in Europe.  And when ordered to fire on certain targets, the aimpoint was to be offset so the gunfire would be a "warning" . . . although apparently they did manage to do some damage to a *expletive deleted*it command post, the guns were not employed as effectively as they might have been.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2012, 05:03:03 PM »
My friend Pete managed 7 in his Beetle once.

Him driving, me in the passenger seat, Bob and Tom in the back, and Tammy, Ellen, and some other girl sitting on laps.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2012, 09:12:53 PM »
Neither will a VW Beetle. :P  I jest, I had up to 5 in my Beetle more than once, but we were all skinny HS students back then.
Almost 1000lbs heavier.

Shoot, back in the day, we had 5 people on a Bridgestone 350 motorcycle!
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G