Author Topic: USS Scorpian (SSN-589)- Lost 22 May 1968, 99 Men aboard  (Read 489 times)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Re: USS Scorpian (SSN-589)- Lost 22 May 1968, 99 Men aboard
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2014, 02:10:01 PM »
??? Did not feel like reading the whole wiki article.  It's an anniversary of a tragic loss --I get that part.

Were you involved?  Help me out, here.  I know one of us --I forget who --was or is a submariner...

« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 02:19:17 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2014, 03:42:55 PM »

1968 was a busy year for both U.S. and Soviet navies.  USS Pueblo captured by the Norks on January 23, Soviet submarine K-129 lost on March 8, USS Scorpion lost on May 22.  And a fair amount of naval activity around Vietnam.

Some conspiracy-minded folks have suggested that the Scorpion was sunk by the Soviets in retaliation for the loss of K-129, which some figures in the Soviet command blamed on the U.S.  Not saying I buy the theory . . .

""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2014, 11:14:32 PM »
??? Did not feel like reading the whole wiki article.  It's an anniversary of a tragic loss --I get that part.

Were you involved?  Help me out, here.  I know one of us --I forget who --was or is a submariner...

The loss of the Scorpian and Thresher are part of the culture and heritage of the Submarine Service.

Lest we forget.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2014, 06:55:33 AM »
OK, thanks.  Now I'll go back and read it with that in mind.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2014, 11:41:38 PM »
http://www.perch-base.org/Eternal_Patrol.htm
Didn't know that there were two subs lost with the name Scorpion.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic