Main Forums > The Roundtable

Mandatory masks?

<< < (3/57) > >>

Brad Johnson:
The Harris County mask order is already under fire from several fronts. First, there is the issue of the judge having the legal standing to do so. Several articles I've seen indicate that she has grossly exceeded her authority in this respect. Second, it exceeds Governor Abbott's requirements. Since Hizzoner's EO specifically specifically forbids requirement in excess of those stated, I see this going nowhere.

There's also the small issue of the Houston Police Officer's Association essentially giving her the finger. When you don't have the support of officers tasked with enforcing the ruling, any further proselytizing is just playing to your fan base for the marketing value.

Brad

zxcvbob:

--- Quote from: MechAg94 on April 28, 2020, 11:55:43 AM ---Is the purpose of the mask to protect me?  Or to keep those who may not know they are a carrier from further spreading the virus?  

From what I understand, the mask rule that Houston/Harris County tried to do was just a face covering.  You could just wear a bandana over your mouth and nose and be compliant.  (The cowboy hat and gun belt might draw unwanted attention.)  IMO, the bandana is at least effective at keeping any particulate from projecting from your mouth or nose while going about your day.  

--- End quote ---

The purpose of wearing a bananamask is mostly to protect others around you, but it also protects you a little bit.  An N95 or better mask is to protect both ways.  I wear an N95 (and got scolded for it by a stupid person I work with because the president says it's not necessary) because I had a couple of N95s already, and I have several risk factors for covid; the wosrt is probably that I get bronchitis and/or asthma every freakin time I get a cold, sometimes leading to pneumonia.  I get over the actual cold in a few days but I'm sick for weeks and cough for months.

It creates a dilemma for me if .gov orders me to wear a mask, because I want to wear a mask anyway but don't wanna comply with an illegal order.   ;/  When I was in Texas recently, it wasn't an issue because I was just north of Harris County (in Montgomery Co)

I ran into an Asian grocery store yesterday spur of the moment.  I didn't have a mask with me, so I just stayed 10 feet away from everybody.  It was weird; I was the only one in there without a mask. (I was also the only white person there, but I wasn't really self-conscious about that)  When I goto an American store, I'm usually one of the few people wearing a mask.

charby:

--- Quote from: zxcvbob on April 28, 2020, 12:48:37 PM ---The purpose of wearing a bananamask is mostly to protect others around you, but it also protects you a little bit.  An N95 or better mask is to protect both ways.  I wear an N95 (and got scolded for it by a stupid person I work with because the president says it's not necessary) because I had a couple of N95s already, and I have several risk factors for covid; the wosrt is probably that I get bronchitis and/or asthma every freakin time I get a cold, sometimes leading to pneumonia.  I get over the actual cold in a few days but I'm sick for weeks and cough for months.

It creates a dilemma for me if .gov orders me to wear a mask, because I want to wear a mask anyway but don't wanna comply with an illegal order.   ;/  When I was in Texas recently, it wasn't an issue because I was just north of Harris County (in Montgomery Co)

I ran into an Asian grocery store yesterday spur of the moment.  I didn't have a mask with me, so I just stayed 10 feet away from everybody.  It was weird; I was the only one in there without a mask. (I was also the only white person there, but I wasn't really self-conscious about that)  When I goto an American store, I'm usually one of the few people wearing a mask.

--- End quote ---

I went to Menards last night, I would say it was 80/20 on those with masks and those without. I wasn't wearing a mask, mostly because with my ZZ top beard, it's not that effective.

Perd Hapley:

--- Quote from: charby on April 28, 2020, 12:55:46 PM ---I went to Menards last night, I would say it was 80/20 on those with masks and those without. I wasn't wearing a mask, mostly because with my ZZ top beard, it's not that effective.

--- End quote ---

I would make a joke about your vanity beard putting other people in danger, but people are getting real touchy lately, so...

Hawkmoon:

--- Quote from: Andiron on April 28, 2020, 10:40:29 AM ---Our illustrious governor has just declared “No mask, no work, no service, no exception,” DeWine said at Monday’s press conference.  He seems to be tiptoeing along the line of mandatory, stopping just short of it by saying in the official release ( https://coronavirus.ohio.gov/wps/portal/gov/covid-19/responsible-restart-ohio/Responsible-Protocols/Responsible-Protocols)  that "1. Recommend face coverings for employees and clients/customers."

I'm getting really sick of being told "you must do this thing of questionable efficacy because Kung Flu".  And what's worse,  is everyone is going along with it without question.

What do you guys think of this?

--- End quote ---

I don't have a problem with it, but I'm in the very high risk category. The problem is that masks are as much (or more) for protecting other people as they are for protecting the wearer. If someone wants to go out unprotected and catch the coronavirus, that's fine with me. I feel the same about people who ride motorcycles without helmets. But someone not wearing a mask could easily infect me with this bug. If I catch it, I'll more than likely die. So, no ... I don't object to people being told they shouldn't infect others.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version