Author Topic: Firearms industry protection bill passes House, President to sign it!  (Read 2055 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Firearms industry protection bill passes House, President to sign it!
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2005, 10:39:01 AM »
It's 'bout time.

Unfortunately, it has that silly gun-lock amendment attached to it.  I know, it has no teeth, but I still don't like it.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2005, 11:00:52 AM »
It was my understanding that the House one did not have that amendment, or am I just misinformed?
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2005, 11:11:25 AM »
Unfortunately, it has that silly gun-lock amendment attached to it.  I know, it has no teeth, but I still don't like it.
The bad news is that the camel's nose is in the tent.

We've now granted the federal government the authority to mandate that so-called "safety locks" be sold with firearms. How long do you think it will take the leftist extremists to think of mandating that all firearms sold include so-called "safety insurance"? How about "safety training"? How about "safety gun vaults"? How long do you think the Hero of Chappaquiddick would hesitate before he'd require every firearms owner in the nation to provide proof that each firearm to be purchased is covered by a $10,000,000.00 insurance policy? How long do you think Mrs. Snopes Clinton would hesitate before she'd require every firearms owner in the nation to undergo a $900, three-day so-called "safety course" before buying a new firearm? Half a nanosecond?

Oh, by the way, how long do you think it's going to take the leftist extremists to find a tame federal judge to declare this new firearms manufacturer protection law unconstitutional?

The good news is that only the camel's nose is in the tentthis afternoon.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2005, 11:18:17 AM »
Quote from: Standing Wolf
The bad news is that the camel's nose is in the tent.

We've now granted the federal government the authority to mandate that so-called "safety locks" be sold with firearms. How long do you think it will take the leftist extremists to think of mandating that all firearms sold include so-called "safety insurance"? How about "safety training"? How about "safety gun vaults"? How long do you think the Hero of Chappaquiddick would hesitate before he'd require every firearms owner in the nation to provide proof that each firearm to be purchased is covered by a $10,000,000.00 insurance policy? How long do you think Mrs. Snopes Clinton would hesitate before she'd require every firearms owner in the nation to undergo a $900, three-day so-called "safety course" before buying a new firearm? Half a nanosecond?

Oh, by the way, how long do you think it's going to take the leftist extremists to find a tame federal judge to declare this new firearms manufacturer protection law unconstitutional?

The good news is that only the camel's nose is in the tentthis afternoon.
How long will it take?  Forever.  The anti gunners didnt want this bill and yet it passed, despite getting derailed at least once.  Most guns are sold with safety locks anyway.  Big deal.  The bill is a good one first because it protects an industry that we all love and second because it sets a precedent to protect any company from plain stupid lawsuits.  Even if the bill protected spatula makers it would be worthwhile for that alone.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

Mulliga

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2005, 11:34:48 AM »
Camel's nose has been in the tent for years, unfortunately.

The lock requirement is unfortunate, but it's mild compared to mandatory gun show background checks and a renewal of the AWB.

natedog

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2005, 12:30:22 PM »
What exactly does the lock amendment say?

How do these damn amendments get added to our bills?

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2005, 08:55:59 PM »
ENOUGH TO MAKE YOU QUIT? For Gun Control Advocates, a Losing Streak in Congress

By Daphne Retter, Congressional Quarterly Staff
CQ Today
October 19, 2005

Congress may decide in conference to ease District of Columbia gun restrictions (H.R. 3058). The House will vote Wednesday on shielding gunmakers from liability suits (S. 397). And last year, Congress let the assault weapons ban (P.L. 103-322) expire.

It's enough to make a gun-control advocate quit.

"It's not an easy job to get up every day and duke it out with the gun lobby," Michael Barnes, president and CEO of the Brady Campaign and Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence, said Tuesday, "but it's very important."

Barnes resigned this week.

He conceded that his side of the gun debate is faring poorly on Capitol Hill, but said that's not the whole lobbying picture. "In many states throughout the country, things are moving in our direction," he said.
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2005, 10:21:42 PM »
Didn't they pass a bill the day before protecting fast food places from lawsuits from obese people who claim that Big Macs made them fat?
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2005, 04:22:54 AM »
[RANT MODE ON]

SCREW THOSE STUPID GUN LOCKS!
the real danger regardless of what the lackeys at the NRA say is in the armor piercing ammunition study.

Read it real close... I'm no lawyer but it seems to me the door is wide open for an ideologue AG to basicly ban most rifle ammo.

No the sky isn't falling and it probably will not happen but the potential exists.

Why? Because Lawyers and especially politicians can twist a law to make it mean pretty much what ever they want it to mean. Then it can take years and years for the courts to sort it all out and I for one do not trust the courts we have to day to sort it out correctly.

The pussy, wimp, pandering, ass kissing republicans have lost my vote (which they've had almost exclusively since 1971). I give up [hangs head in shame]. I'll either just sit it out from now on or vote 3rd party... Then accept the consequences and take action as appropriate!

Stupid bastards - the damned REPUGNANTCINS own the government and still they pass stupid gun control laws. Professional ass kissers and cheek spreaders is all they are. I hate the rat bastards.

[Drama King Submode ON]

To all of those who say what a great bill I imagine someday when you're old and grey, standing in a museum with your grandchildren. Little Bobby looks up at a display of firearms and asks, "Grampa, what are those?", and you reply, "why those are guns, Bobby.".

You feel him cringe and step back a bit. You continue, "Once upon a time all Americans could own one or as many as they wanted, why I myself...", you stop speaking when you notice little Bobby crying and looking at you with fear.

He asks with a frightened quiver in his voice, "Did you have a gun Grampa?".

"Why yes, Bobby, yes I did. It was..."

Bobby steps away from you visibly frightened, a look of horror on his face, "you're a bad man Grampa. A bad man. I don't love you anymore. MOMMY!"

[Drama King Submode OFF]

[RANT MODE OFF]

Thankyou for your patience and understanding... Wink
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2005, 05:41:43 AM »
I'm no lawyer
Yup.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2005, 05:10:44 PM »
Hoozah!  What a decisive victory for the good guys.  We just destroyed decades of work for the Left!

Were, mmmm, maybe, but that potential exists in a few other laws pre-existing this study.  How do you NOT do anything in politics?  Right, you form a study commission or blue ribbon panel.  Great, go have your study, it is feckless and we get a HUGE victory.

Now what do you do when you win?  Right, attack!  Need to follow up with more pro-gun legislation.  The ice is broken, WE can use the law to advance our cause, not simply defeat legislation--abolish "sporting purposes", move suppressors to Title I, mandatory firearms training in high schools, federal funding and mandated federal funding for states to build and maintain firearms ranges, inter alia.

Attack!
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2005, 01:46:14 PM »
I still maintain that the trigger lock amendment, which was authored by my senator, Herb Kohl, was added to get the support of key Democrats.

Herb Kohl is running for re-election next year, and needs to get the gun owner vote, which is an absolute necessity for any politician in Wisconsin. However, he also needs to be able to tell the anti-gunners in his party that he scored a victory for them.

I recognize the potential for this to expand, though. Just as we started with seatbelts as an option, then seatbelts mandated, then seatbelt use mandated.

The only way to prevent a law mandating the use of locks is to continue doing what we've already been doing for years: fight.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2005, 03:08:52 PM »
El T,

Can I be treasurer for the group?
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw