Author Topic: Last WW I Digger dies...  (Read 880 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Last WW I Digger dies...
« on: October 24, 2005, 11:41:57 AM »
Two thousand naval personnel will take part in the state funeral for Australia's last surviving World War I veteran south of Melbourne on Tuesday.

William Evan Allan, also the last surviving Australian veteran to see service in both world wars, died at the age of 106 in Melbourne last Monday.

His funeral will be held at 1pm (AEST) on Tuesday at the navy training base HMAS Cerberus at Crib Point on Western Port Bay.

A 45-minute ceremony will be held at the base chapel followed by official proceedings.

Victorian premier Steve Bracks and governor John Landy will join other officials on a slow march behind the carriage through the naval base as 2,000 naval personnel line roads in the base.

Mr Allan enlisted in the Royal Australian Navy at age 14 shortly before the outbreak of WWI.

He is survived by his daughter Judith Blake and grandchildren Duncan and Philippa.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

onions!

Last WW I Digger dies...
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2005, 05:24:01 PM »
I'm amazed that there are any survivors from the Great War left.R.I.P. mr Allan.

some more
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/4351852.stm