Author Topic: Anyone familiar with Keystone shop lights?  (Read 7390 times)

Nick1911

• Administrator
Re: Anyone familiar with Keystone shop lights?
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2016, 04:00:45 PM »
Horrifying price.  So the lights in my workshop (20x 2750 lumen, 5100K flourescent T8 tubes in 4-bulb suspended ceiling fixtures, cost me a grand total of <$300.  Instant turn-on, 85% of the efficiency, and 2-3x cheaper?  Yeah, I'll stick with the fluorescents...will be 5-10 years before the LEDs would come close to the total cost accounting for bulb replacement and failures. 

That's where I landed with it on my work space lighting.  LED shop lights are going to be awesome, but they have to come down in price to be economically competitive with linear fluorescents.  I agree with your assessment of 5-10 years or so.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2016, 10:38:46 PM »
Horrifying price.  So the lights in my workshop (20x 2750 lumen, 5100K flourescent T8 tubes in 4-bulb suspended ceiling fixtures, cost me a grand total of <$300.  Instant turn-on, 85% of the efficiency, and 2-3x cheaper?  Yeah, I'll stick with the fluorescents...will be 5-10 years before the LEDs would come close to the total cost accounting for bulb replacement and failures. 

Unheated garage. Ballasts and freezing temperatures not a good mix. LEDs are cheaper than heating garage or replacing ballasts every year.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2016, 10:42:47 PM »
Unheated garage. Ballasts and freezing temperatures not a good mix. LEDs are cheaper than heating garage or replacing ballasts every year.

True. You could go with high output stuff, which can handle the cold, but I'm guessing LEDs will be cheaper, or at least break even.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

birdman

• friend
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2016, 09:28:43 AM »

True.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2016, 09:34:32 AM »
True. You could go with high output stuff, which can handle the cold, but I'm guessing LEDs will be cheaper, or at least break even.

Ayep. Indoors? Overpriced. I'd still lean LED for single or maybe double fixture indoor location. Especially in hard to reach areas. If you want surgical theater lumen count for the lowest buck, yeah, definitely not LED. Unheated detached garage, ayep, cheaper or break even. Not including the time to replace the ballasts.

Easy install, easy maintenance, easy wiring. Linkable and plugs is also overpaying even more, but frankly, I'm not the electrician that Nick or birdman are. I can do wiring to code safely at probably ten times the amount of time of either, due to research, planning and triple checking rather than knowing directly what to do with enough confidence to do on the fly. I'm however willing to pay the premium for safety and convenience.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2016, 11:05:47 AM »
Today on Woot, I have no idea what it all means except they are LED shop lights.

Energetic Lighting 4' 250 Watt Equivalent LED Shop Light

http://tools.woot.com/offers/4-250-watt-equivalent-led-shop-light-15?ref=tg_cnt_gw_dly_tl

bob

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2016, 12:24:19 PM »
Energetic Lighting seems to make decent stuff from a limited number of people I know who have used their products.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2016, 12:50:15 PM »

Which is why I am going with LED replacements for my dead fluorescent shop lights in the garage.  2x 2-bulb fixtures.  Might install a couple more, though.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

birdman

• friend
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2016, 07:39:59 PM »
If you want surgical theater lumen count for the lowest buck, yeah, definitely not LED.

That's 2x surgical theater lumen/m2 count mind you!