Author Topic: Taxes - 1099s  (Read 664 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Taxes - 1099s
« on: January 27, 2017, 07:01:58 PM »
Anyone else wonder why it takes so long for the big investment places to generate 1099s? Both Vanguard and Ameritrade always tell me "by the second week in February".  Thirty years ago, I could understand this, but today? Seems like a couple of mouse clicks on their end can generate the e-forms  for all their clients on 02JAN (or later on some securities, but certainly within 24hrs of any cutoff dates).
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
Re: Taxes - 1099s
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2017, 08:44:06 PM »
Their profits need to be passed through several reputable sources before being passed on to you, this takes time.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2017, 11:37:58 PM »
Lots simpler, of course, but I wrote a program that would generate my end of year reports for the poobahs by running a single dot-exe program.

It involved parsing out details from my data base to report about ten or twelve statistics that were needed.

I'd do this in the last week of October (end of fiscal year), and it would print out the required reports including my cover letter, I'd send them out, and not process anything else until the first weekday in November. 

I'd usually take a couple of days off in that period, and other people struggling with their annual reports would ask how I could afford to take time off in that period.

But that was a simpler time, and simpler software.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2017, 03:38:10 PM »
Their profits need to be passed through several reputable sources before being passed on to you, this takes time.

The profits have already passed through.  This is just paperwork.

Often the reason is the .gov's fault.  Congress is in session, they can (and have) changed tax laws retroactively, especially with a change in the administration.   We are still trying to figure out if Trump's EO on the ACA applies to the "Shared Responsibility Payment" people owe for not having insurance.  It hasn't been an issue yet, as usually those without insurance file late in the tax season.

But with rumours of reducing both corporate and individual taxes, a bill could be introduced and sail through Congress quickly.

So everyone waits until the last minute to send out W-2's and 1099's just in case something does change. 
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2017, 04:34:26 PM »
The profits have already passed through.  This is just paperwork.

That's kinda what I was thinking. Ameritrade lets me go to a page that breaks down everything that's on the 1099, and in even more detail, so I have the info I need, I just don't have the actual 1099 yet to send along to my CPA.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2017, 11:36:27 AM »
Have all my W-2's, just waiting for a 1099-R to complete my taxes.  Not that I'm going to be in a hurry this year since it looks like between FED and OK I'm going to owe close to a $1000.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!