Author Topic: Firearms related question: best Mini-14 polymer magazines  (Read 735 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Firearms related question: best Mini-14 polymer magazines
« on: January 28, 2017, 03:19:32 PM »
I just came back from Cabela's, where I bought a couple Magpul PMag 30 M3 with window magazines.  I had been reading as to the USMC selection process, when they recently picked this model, so I decided to try them out.  I looked at Cabela's, and did not really see a .223 Mini-14 equivalent to the PMags.  They had one Tapco polymer magazine, but I passed on that.

Anyone here with a Mini-14, and you have a favorite polymer magazine for it?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

zxcvbob

• friend
Re: Firearms related question: best Mini-14 polymer magazines
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2017, 03:22:07 PM »
I have a Mini-14 and I have some poly mags, but I don't like any of them.  20-round steel mags are much better, IMHO, and Ruger OEM 30-round steel mags are good too.  The plastic mags I've tried all suck.
"It's good, though..."

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2017, 04:12:03 PM »
I just came back from Cabela's, where I bought a couple Magpul PMag 30 M3 with window magazines.  I had been reading as to the USMC selection process, when they recently picked this model, so I decided to try them out.  I looked at Cabela's, and did not really see a .223 Mini-14 equivalent to the PMags.  They had one Tapco polymer magazine, but I passed on that.

Anyone here with a Mini-14, and you have a favorite polymer magazine for it?

It's been 10 years or more since I had one.  But, back then, the Promag Mini-14 magazines actually worked pretty well.  They were also the only aftermarket magazines that reliably held the bolt open after the last shot.

I had 10 and 20 rounders.  
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2017, 11:38:19 PM »
Before I sold my Mini, I tried several poly mags.  None worked reliably for me.  The ProMag's worked best, but still weren't as reliable as the factory mags.  Just stick with metal.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2017, 11:40:17 AM »
Searching the Internets pretty much confirmed the above opinions.  I sucked it up and bought four Ruger 30 round magazines for $ 155 (!) shipped.  The going price is $ 40 each, and Midway is selling them for $ 36.79 each.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2017, 01:57:03 PM »
Searching the Internets pretty much confirmed the above opinions.  I sucked it up and bought four Ruger 30 round magazines for $ 155 (!) shipped.  The going price is $ 40 each, and Midway is selling them for $ 36.79 each.

Probably the best bet.   I had mine in the late ban, early post-ban era.  Factory magazines bigger than the 5 rounders were scarce and quite expensive.  Bill thought 5 round mags were plenty big enough for most of the rest of us non-LE folks.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2017, 08:24:24 PM »
Probably the best bet.   I had mine in the late ban, early post-ban era.  Factory magazines bigger than the 5 rounders were scarce and quite expensive.  Bill thought 5 round mags were plenty big enough for most of the rest of us non-LE folks.
Ruger has shifted their focus quite a bit since then.  Of course, the general view of gun rights and shooting has changed a lot since the early 90's. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2017, 09:52:27 PM »
I bought a bunch of metal 20-round mags from CDNN a few years ago.  No name on them, but they work as well as Ruger mags.
"It's good, though..."