Author Topic: Enter the lottery for a blue-collar job paying up to $ 200,000/year  (Read 1038 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-port-lottery-20170127-htmlstory.html

I knew a guy who was a crane operator on the Seattle docks, and he routinely made over $ 150,000 per year.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Re: Enter the lottery for a blue-collar job paying up to $ 200,000/year
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2017, 06:23:57 AM »
Better odds than winning Powerball, but not by much.

It looks like some of those guys realize they are being used for their cheap labor, but still cling to the hope they will land the big job.  Some of them would have been better off getting a full-time job years ago instead of waiting for the chance to go full-time at the docks.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2017, 07:35:41 AM »
I still have my father's longshoreman's hook. (1930s?)  Will that give me any street cred for advancement?

Probably somehow illegal, even though it's a curio/relic... :)

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2017, 07:55:52 AM »
I'm a little offended by that article's tone of "This lottery is the last chance they have of making a living without college.....the poor benighted blue collar folks."

I dropped out of collage after two years, being unable to afford the rest.  No degree, not even any useful credits.  I got an entry level job, decided entry level work for $9/hr sucked, and proceeded to learn everything I could.  I got folks to teach me, I asked my bosses for chances to try new things.  When the first place started to be obviously holding me back I looked for new jobs and jumped ship.

Yeah I ended up with the fed.gov, but that's because I consciously made the choice to sacrifice a some of the salary I could be making now, for job security and the freedom to really put time into my Army Reserve career.  Even still I make enough money to be pretty dang comfortable and still save for a retirement.  If I took my skills and certs on the open market I could easily make $150k/year (easily find the job, the work would be hard) based on what I've learned and taught myself.  Without playing some union lottery.

I applaud these folks for trying to better themselves and get a good paying job, but damn, if the odds are THAT bad, find something else to do.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2017, 12:05:21 PM »
And of course it's a job that could have the hell automated out of it. And would have by now. But it's fitting, these are the same guys who blocked adoption of the standardized shipping container by decades too.
I promise not to duck.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2017, 12:52:21 PM »
And of course it's a job that could have the hell automated out of it. And would have by now. But it's fitting, these are the same guys who blocked adoption of the standardized shipping container by decades too.

Most of it already is.  Still need a person to make sure containers are locked down, whether on a trailer frame or on the ship. 
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.