Author Topic: Random Thoughts on the Move to OCP (Multicam) for Army & Air Force  (Read 2574 times)

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
The US Army is well into the transition to the new camo pattern, and the Air Force uses it for their personnel overseas, with rumors for the latter continuing of a full transition as well.  As a former soldier during the switch from Woodland to ACU pattern, I'm not upset this time, as OCP seems to be a much more practical pattern for its intended use.  And of course now, as an Air National Guard dude, the ABU pattern is downright stupid.

As the receiving clerk on my base, I'm constantly reminded of the loads of taxpayer money being spent on clothing each time we switch camo patterns.  It's always a little frustrating to see that each new pattern also requires a new color for everything else, including boots, fleece jackets, cold weather hats, and even t-shirts.

Some questions I haven't been able to answer, like the fact that we've been ordering tan boots for our deployers rather than the coyote boots the Army wants their guys to use.  Is this a cost saving measure, or are the coyote boots simply not available in sufficient quantities?  Either way, I'm sure that having divested themselves of tan boots after switching to sage, the Air Force is purchasing new boots rather than issuing new old stock.  However, the tan boots are at least cheaper.

I discovered one bright side when I started getting new coyote fleece hats come across my bench.  Years ago I ordered a three-pack of fleece hats for my own use, one black, one sage, and one brown, the last one supposedly being the color the USMC uses.  I brought that one to work this week; turns out the Army adopted the same color for the OCP, so they're ordering hats that are already being made and are already in stock.  They may only be $5.70/each but at least there was one smart decision being made.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

HankB

• friend
Re: Random Thoughts on the Move to OCP (Multicam) for Army & Air Force
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2017, 04:36:36 PM »
. . .  Some questions I haven't been able to answer, like the fact that we've been ordering tan boots for our deployers rather than the coyote boots the Army wants their guys to use . . .
Well, either coyotes are on the endangered species list, or the tan boot maker has made campaign contributions to a congressman sitting on the military budget committee . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2017, 06:38:20 PM »
You really need to switch to Chuck Taylors, skinny jeans, and flannel. A knitted scarf is optional.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2017, 06:44:51 PM »
Multicam is a good looking, function pattern.  It actually blends in with stuff.  Good for the Army/AF.

I'm still pissed they killed off our Desert MARPAT.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2017, 04:05:44 AM »
The Navy is transitioning to the NWU Type III. I have a feeling it has more to do with drawing us away from our traditions, like when they tried to get rid of our rates because they have the word "man" in them.  :mad:
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2017, 05:07:31 AM »
When did the Army phase out the 3-color desert camo BDU? Was the replaced by ACU, or was there something in between?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2017, 08:09:12 PM »
Well, either coyotes are on the endangered species list, or the tan boot maker has made campaign contributions to a congressman sitting on the military budget committee . . .

I'm guessing the latter.  But it would be ironic if I could dust off the tan boots in my basement and put them back into service soon.

When did the Army phase out the 3-color desert camo BDU? Was the replaced by ACU, or was there something in between?

The ACU was supposed to replace both, according to the magicians at Natick Labs.  3-color desert got murdered at the same time as Woodland.

The Navy is transitioning to the NWU Type III. I have a feeling it has more to do with drawing us away from our traditions, like when they tried to get rid of our rates because they have the word "man" in them.  :mad:

Jealous of the Marines?  Bully for them for getting rid of the "fall in the water and die" blue pattern, though.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2017, 09:26:54 AM »

The Army moved to the ACU pattern in 2005.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2017, 11:50:04 AM »

Basically, it's all a great way to waste billions of dollars every couple of years. If I was Congress, I'd tell the services to come up with limited number of standardized standard uniforms. There's no bloody reason why Air Force, Navy, Army, Marines, Coast Guard, etc NEED different patterns.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2017, 12:58:46 PM »
Bully for them for getting rid of the "fall in the water and die" blue pattern, though.

That was so everybody could lay down on the deck to hide the big gray boat.