Author Topic: Prince Philip is dead  (Read 1060 times)

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
Prince Philip is dead
« on: April 09, 2021, 08:37:28 AM »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11437314

Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, has passed away at the age of 99. Seeing that the usual suspects are celebrating with glee, I think I'll tip a glass of rum for the old guy and wish him fair winds.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Prince Philip is dead
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2021, 08:38:43 AM »
He always seemed like an OK, and politically incorrect guy. Probably fun to hang out with.

RIP.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2021, 08:49:29 AM »
Seemed like he was always a rock of stability in a sea of silliness
RIP Philip
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2021, 08:50:42 AM »
Another person lost to the ravages of COVID...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2021, 08:51:19 AM »
Fair winds and following seas, good sir.

"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2021, 08:55:43 AM »
His family lost a loved one. The world lost a prolific irl troll and shitposter.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2021, 10:25:40 AM »
“I am the only man in the country not allowed to give his name to his children. I’m nothing but a bloody amoeba,” Philip once told a friend.

“Dontopedalogy is the science of opening your mouth and putting your foot in it, a science which I have practiced for a good many years,” he was quoted as saying in 1960.

RIP, your Royal Highness.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2021, 07:58:58 PM »
He risked his own ass in WW2.  The last of the old breed who lived up to their noblesse oblige.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2021, 09:02:23 PM »
He risked his own ass in WW2.  The last of the old breed who lived up to their noblesse oblige.

Well ... Randy Andy did take part in combat operations in the Falklands War. In fact, as a helicopter pilot one of his roles was to fly behind his ship to act as a decoy for missiles. I don't much care for Prince Andrew as a person, but he did put himself in harm's way during that episode.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2021, 09:11:25 PM »
Well ... Randy Andy did take part in combat operations in the Falklands War. In fact, as a helicopter pilot one of his roles was to fly behind his ship to act as a decoy for missiles. I don't much care for Prince Andrew as a person, but he did put himself in harm's way during that episode.

Perhaps it would be better to say that family is the last of the old breed.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2021, 09:18:22 PM »
Perhaps it would be better to say that family is the last of the old breed.

Nah -- I didn't say Prince Andrew was of the old breed. Only that he went to war when called upon to do so. IMHO he's still scum ... albeit royal scum.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2021, 10:40:28 AM »

Prince Harry did two tours of service in Afghanistan and participated in combat operations as an Apache helicopter pilot.

He was apparently pulled out when the Taliban got word (from British press) that he was in country.

It's pretty clear from this article in 2013 that he was already champing at the bitt about royal life. https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2013/jan/21/prince-harry-afghanistan
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2021, 12:23:45 PM »

It's pretty clear from this article in 2013 that he was already champing at the bitt about royal life. https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2013/jan/21/prince-harry-afghanistan

I've always liked Harry.

Asked where he and his brother's fascination with helicopters came from, he said: "Probably the fact that you can only fit a certain amount of people in a helicopter, therefore no one can follow us, like you guys."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2021, 03:20:20 PM »

Some people relish living it high in a fishbowl, others not so much.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

HankB

• friend
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2021, 03:33:41 PM »
Britain is a close ally . . . WHO will the Harris/Biden administration send to attend services?

Joe needs his nappy time and the Brits may not set up teleprompters to his liking, and Kamala's constant braying laughter is inappropriate for what should be a solemn respectful gathering.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2021, 03:53:54 PM »
Britain is a close ally . . . WHO will the Harris/Biden administration send to attend services?

Joe needs his nappy time and the Brits may not set up teleprompters to his liking, and Kamala's constant braying laughter is inappropriate for what should be a solemn respectful gathering.

Invite Trump, decline the installed puppets; if I were advising the secretary of the family.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2021, 04:04:03 PM »
Invite Trump, decline the installed puppets; if I were advising the secretary of the family.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if Trump attended the services of his own accord.  Provided he receives an invitation, if one is necessary.  Being a state funeral, it's likely by invitation only.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2021, 09:01:43 PM »
The funeral is going to be limited to 30 people. The royal family alone has enough members to fill that out. I doubt heads of state from other countries will be invited.

Lemme see: 4 children, 8 grandchildren, and 10 great-grandchildren. That only adds up to 22, and the little kids (the great-grandchildren) probably won't attend, anyway. But all of the children and grandchildren are either married or have been married, and it's entirely possible that exes such as Fergie might attend. So 4 becomes 8, and 8 becomes 16 -- that's potentially 24, right there.

That would leave only six slots, and that's probably not even enough to allow the heads of state of all commonwealth nations to attend. So my guess is that the funeral will be limited to family.

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2021, 10:01:33 PM »
The funeral is going to be limited to 30 people. The royal family alone has enough members to fill that out. I doubt heads of state from other countries will be invited.

Lemme see: 4 children, 8 grandchildren, and 10 great-grandchildren. That only adds up to 22, and the little kids (the great-grandchildren) probably won't attend, anyway. But all of the children and grandchildren are either married or have been married, and it's entirely possible that exes such as Fergie might attend. So 4 becomes 8, and 8 becomes 16 -- that's potentially 24, right there.

That would leave only six slots, and that's probably not even enough to allow the heads of state of all commonwealth nations to attend. So my guess is that the funeral will be limited to family.

Those final slots will likely be filled with certain politicians such as the Prime Minister and the heads of the House of Lords and the House of Commons.
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2021, 11:29:20 PM »
Those final slots will likely be filled with certain politicians such as the Prime Minister and the heads of the House of Lords and the House of Commons.

You're probably right. I forgot about them.