Author Topic: University Of Florida Lab Finds Dangerous Pathogens On Children’s Face Masks  (Read 916 times)

MechAg94

• friend
https://www.nationandstate.com/2021/06/19/university-of-florida-lab-finds-dangerous-pathogens-on-childrens-face-masks/

Gainesville parents in Florida concerned about the harm caused to their children wearing face masks all day at school in 90 °F weather sent out six masks—five that were worn by children ages 6 to 11 for five to eight hours at school, and one worn by an adult—to be analyzed for contaminants at the University of Florida’s Mass Spectrometry Research and Education Center.

Five of the masks were found to be contaminated with parasites, fungi, and bacteria, according to Rational Ground. Only one mask was found to contain a virus that can cause a fatal systemic disease in cattle and deer. Other less harmful pathogens that can cause ulcers, acne, and strep throat were also detected.

This one is from June 17th.
https://www.christianitydaily.com/articles/12277/20210617/laboratory-testing-reveals-more-reasons-not-to-wear-masks-against-covid-dangerous-pathogens.htm
Laboratory Testing Reveals More Reasons Not To Wear Masks Against COVID: ‘Dangerous Pathogens’
On the masks, the 11 "dangerous pathogens" are responsible for diseases like pneumonia, tuberculosis, meningitis and sepsis, food poisoning from E. coli, diphtheria, Lyme Disease, and UTI.
-----------------------------
According to Rational Ground, half of the masks had been infected with one or more types of "pneumonia-causing bacteria." One-third of the samples tested positive for one or more types of the bacterium that causes meningitis while another one-third was found to contain microorganisms that were hazardous and antibiotic-resistant in nature.

There were also a number of less hazardous pathogens discovered, including pathogens that may cause a variety of symptoms such as fever, ulcers, acne, yeast infections, strep throat, periodontal disease, Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, and others.

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

cordex

• Administrator
If we were to send in ... say ... a computer keyboard, or a handkerchief, or a tube of partially used chapstick, I wonder what would be found.

We're surrounded by bacteria and viruses all day long.  Our bodes do a credible job of fighting those off and only when our systems are overwhelmed or they face something new to them does it result in illness.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
I've seen some scary keyboards and mouse pads in my time.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
For the love of God, please don't send in your underwear or socks to be analyzed. You will wonder why you are not dead right there.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

MechAg94

• friend
If we were to send in ... say ... a computer keyboard, or a handkerchief, or a tube of partially used chapstick, I wonder what would be found.

We're surrounded by bacteria and viruses all day long.  Our bodes do a credible job of fighting those off and only when our systems are overwhelmed or they face something new to them does it result in illness.
True, but it gets to the point of why masks for kids are likely useless.  They won't be as effective as the hospital masks and they are never going to get kids to NOT touch them.  We normally don't require kids to strap a dusty keyboard to their face. 

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

cordex

• Administrator
True, but it gets to the point of why masks for kids are likely useless.  They won't be as effective as the hospital masks and they are never going to get kids to NOT touch them. 
Agreed.  Nearly all masks that kids wear are likely useless or nearly so for the prevention of COVID for the wearer, but that is a different point than pretending that wearing masks increases the likelihood that children will come into contact with potentially dangerous viruses or bacteria.

This is sensationalist propaganda written specifically to cater to certain ideological biases with a candy coating of scientism, just like a bunch of the junk from the other side of the debate ... although perhaps with fewer of the trappings of credibility offered by the source.  The argument could be equally made that pathogens found on the used masks are pathogens that didn't make it into the body so hooray for masks.  In fact, had the results been that no pathogens were found, we'd likely be reading an article about how the masks failed to catch even one nasty thing so they were useless. 

We normally don't require kids to strap a dusty keyboard to their face.
Do we require kids to wash their hands after using a computer?  If not, it's essentially the same thing.

MechAg94

• friend
Agreed.  Nearly all masks that kids wear are likely useless or nearly so for the prevention of COVID for the wearer, but that is a different point than pretending that wearing masks increases the likelihood that children will come into contact with potentially dangerous viruses or bacteria.

This is sensationalist propaganda written specifically to cater to certain ideological biases with a candy coating of scientism, just like a bunch of the junk from the other side of the debate ... although perhaps with fewer of the trappings of credibility offered by the source.  The argument could be equally made that pathogens found on the used masks are pathogens that didn't make it into the body so hooray for masks.  In fact, had the results been that no pathogens were found, we'd likely be reading an article about how the masks failed to catch even one nasty thing so they were useless. 
Do we require kids to wash their hands after using a computer?  If not, it's essentially the same thing.
Most "science" we hear is propaganda and just about 100% of anything Fauci has said in public.  This is just from the other side. 

It is a good argument to stop requiring masks.  Largely because the kids come in contact with all sorts of stuff in their normal lives.  The mask doesn't stop that.  IMO, it potentially makes it worse simply because it is collecting all the stuff they contact throughout the day and strapping it on the kids face.  And that assumes they use a clean mask each day. 

cordex

• Administrator
Most "science" we hear is propaganda and just about 100% of anything Fauci has said in public.  This is just from the other side. 
I agree totally.  If we're going to get upset because "they" do it, then it isn't suddenly cool when "our side" does it.

It is a good argument to stop requiring masks.  Largely because the kids come in contact with all sorts of stuff in their normal lives.  The mask doesn't stop that.  IMO, it potentially makes it worse simply because it is collecting all the stuff they contact throughout the day and strapping it on the kids face.  And that assumes they use a clean mask each day.
I'm not arguing for mask mandates, however I think if we were going to see a huge spike in illness because we required kids to wear masks we would have already seen it.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
I'm more concerned by how many of the stupid things are coming from China.  :facepalm:
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Ummm.... beg pardon.... I thought trapping all them nasties were what masks were supposed to do.

???
« Last Edit: June 24, 2021, 02:19:28 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

dogmush

• friend
I didn't read the article.

Were the bugs on the inside or outside of the mask?

MechAg94

• friend
I agree totally.  If we're going to get upset because "they" do it, then it isn't suddenly cool when "our side" does it.
I'm not arguing for mask mandates, however I think if we were going to see a huge spike in illness because we required kids to wear masks we would have already seen it.
On the first, I don't really consider it cool or uncool.  I don't care if it is done.  As long as we don't elevate one or the other as more important than it is.

Second, how do we know there isn't a huge spike.  Everyone dies of COVID these days.   =D

cordex

• Administrator
On the first, I don't really consider it cool or uncool.  I don't care if it is done.  As long as we don't elevate one or the other as more important than it is.
=|
Maybe I don’t understand what you are saying. Using bad science to try to convince people of one’s ideological bias is lying exactly as Fauci has admitted to, and I consider lying to be pretty uncool.

Second, how do we know there isn't a huge spike.  Everyone dies of COVID these days.   =D
Not kids.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
How to REALLY screw with Mask Karens?

"I know - but I'm scared - do you know where I can get a certified mask that has been approved?"
Blog under construction

Perd Hapley

• friend
https://thefederalist.com/2021/07/01/ama-journal-masks-are-bad-for-your-kids-quit-forcing-them-to-wear-them/

A new report published by an American Medical Association journal revealed forcing children to wear face masks leads to adverse health effects. JAMA Pediatrics, a top-rated monthly journal published by the AMA, found wearing face masks increases the amount of carbon dioxide in inhaled air to unhealthy levels.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Perd Hapley

• friend
^^^The article cited above:

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamapediatrics/fullarticle/2781743

We suggest that decision-makers weigh the hard evidence produced by these experimental measurements accordingly, which suggest that children should not be forced to wear face masks.