Author Topic: Lumber prices...  (Read 539 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Lumber prices...
« on: June 30, 2021, 10:21:46 AM »
Looks like we might start seeing some lower prices if this trend continues...

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/06/30/lumber-prices-dive-more-than-40percent-in-june-biggest-monthly-drop-on-record.html
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Nick1911

• Administrator
Re: Lumber prices...
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2021, 10:34:24 AM »
Funny thing I was thinking about:  I was visiting the UK back in 2015ish.  As a tourist, I always like to check out both grocery stores and hardware stores.  I was astounded to see the price of 2x4 lumber at that time, so much so that I took a picture.

For reference, at that time the GBP was trending at just over $1.50.  So, in dollars, a 2x4 was about $7.  I thought to myself that this seemed nuts - how could anyone afford to build anything at those rates?

How times change.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2021, 10:43:22 AM »
Yeah...

That's the price per item, but it doesn't inclue the 17% VAT...

So each one of those was actually 5.27, or $7.91...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2021, 10:57:48 AM »
Yeah...

That's the price per item, but it doesn't inclue the 17% VAT...

So each one of those was actually 5.27, or $7.91...

Check me on this, but I think vat was already rolled into the adversed price over there?  I don't recall taxes being added on at checkout

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2021, 10:59:32 AM »
Funny thing I was thinking about:  I was visiting the UK back in 2015ish.  As a tourist, I always like to check out both grocery stores and hardware stores.  I was astounded to see the price of 2x4 lumber at that time, so much so that I took a picture.

Looking at that photo brings to mind another issue: metrication. Note that the size of those studs is given as 38mm x 89mm. Those are not nice, round numbers.

Years ago, when the U.S. started going bonkers with "soft" metrication (which is how you get studs with dimensions like 38mm x 89mm -- a 2x4 is 1-1/2 x 3-1/2, which works out to 38.1mm x 88.9mm) I proposed to someone, either in the lumber industry or in gummint, that if we were serious about metrication we should just change the size of our wood dimensional lumber to easy metric sizes. A 2x4 would become 40mm x 90mm. Piece of cake. The response I received was that it was simply impossible, because the size difference would mean that carpenters couldn't make anything fit in the field.

I'm old enough that when I started as an intern architect/drafter, a 2x4 measured 1-5/8" x 3-5/8". I was several years into my career when we came to work one day and found that we suddenly had to draw 2x4s at 1-1/2 x 3-1/2. The carpenters managed to adapt to that change without a whimper. Going to 40mm x 90mm would have been much less of a change.

1-5/8 x 3-5/8 = 41.275" x 92.075"

40 x 90

1-1/2 x 3-1/2 = 38.1mm x 88.9mm
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2021, 11:36:41 AM »
Check me on this, but I think vat was already rolled into the adversed price over there?  I don't recall taxes being added on at checkout

Hum... I thought it was

Hum... to be honest, I don't know for sure. I thought it was applied at time of purchase...

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2021, 12:14:56 PM »
I am more in awe that Britain might let you have an unlicensed framing hammer. Those things are dangerous.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2021, 12:16:04 PM »
In my visits to the U.K. and Ireland, the VAT was included in the advertised price.

""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2021, 01:31:11 PM »
In my visits to the U.K. and Ireland, the VAT was included in the advertised price.

Same here.  I liked how the item price was what was charged at checkout.  None of this mentally adding 10% for local sales tax, etc.  Here in Washington now, when you buy liquor, take the item price and add about 25% or so to account for local sales taxes and state spirits taxes. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2021, 01:53:34 PM »
The high lumber prices have led to some strange things.
Last week a truck was stopped coming across the border. They found a stack of 2x4s hidden in a shipment of cocaine
What we have here is failure to communicate.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2021, 04:25:33 PM »

OK, cool. My bad!