Author Topic: A/V Help (the luddite) question  (Read 498 times)

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
A/V Help (the luddite) question
« on: July 01, 2021, 06:34:08 PM »
I have a Samsung sort of smart TV, older so some apps are not available (Fox Nation, it's free). I am currently running dish through a receiver (surround sound) to the TV via HDMI.

The question is can I run a ROKU box on this setup and just switch between dish and Roku depending on what I want to do?

What I want to do is use Dish sometimes and then Roku at other times and still get the audio through the receiver for the surround sound.

I am pretty sure it is easy enough but go slow, I was listening to surround sound when it was brand new and called Quadrophonic!!!

bob

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: A/V Help (the luddite) question
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2021, 06:42:13 PM »
I go between my Samsung smart TV and Roku all the time. It should be as simple as plugging the Roku into a spare HDMI. My TV has a menu at the bottom of the home screen that I can cycle through to get to various streaming services or the Roku. Or I can just turn the Roku on via the Roku remote and the TV automatically goes to it.

I had cable and a Roku on my older Samsung semi-smart TV, and there, I just used the input menu to go to whichever HDMI port the Roku was on.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

BobR

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2021, 06:46:54 PM »
I go between my Samsung smart TV and Roku all the time. It should be as simple as plugging the Roku into a spare HDMI. My TV has a menu at the bottom of the home screen that I can cycle through to get to various streaming services or the Roku. Or I can just turn the Roku on via the Roku remote and the TV automatically goes to it.

I had cable and a Roku on my older Samsung semi-smart TV, and there, I just used the input menu to go to whichever HDMI port the Roku was on.

Thanks, I'll be back after scratching my head for a while. ;)

bob

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2021, 07:05:10 PM »
N/a
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2021, 08:53:01 PM »
What make & model is your surround receiver?

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2021, 09:18:46 PM »
Oops. Failed reading comprehension. I just reread and realized you were talking about the receiver and not the TV.  :-[
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2021, 09:57:04 PM »
You can get a three to one hdmi adaptor then you can plug them all in and just pick what you want.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

BobR

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2021, 11:02:05 PM »
What make & model is your surround receiver?

Brad

It is a sony str-dh590

Bob

BobR

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2021, 11:40:06 PM »
After doing some reading I think all I have to do is pick a HDMI input to plug the Roku into on the receiver and select it to get the Roku cooking. I will take the plunge tomorrow.

bob
« Last Edit: July 02, 2021, 12:18:29 AM by BobR »

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2021, 09:44:17 AM »
It is a sony str-dh590

That makes it easy. Run everything through the receiver. The 590 has four HDMI inputs and claims to be able to switch up to 4K

HDMI makes it simple Plug-N-Play. HDMI In on the receiver from each component, HDMI out from the receiver to the TV. That way you can switch everything with the push of a button on the remote. If you want to make it simple, use the Media Box input because that's what a Roku is.

FYI... sometimes it takes a few seconds for the video to synch after you change inputs (press the button). Don't be surprised if you see a few seconds of black screen when you're changing. Also, you may find the audio is a little out of synch. Most receivers and some TVs have and audio synch adjustment feature to compensate.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

BobR

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2021, 06:18:24 PM »
Well that was easy. The hardest part was running the power and HDMI cables. Luckily my receiver has a "media box" HDMI plug and the TV HDMI has an ARC function so I don't have to worry about audio being out of sync.

I am kind of impressed with all of the free stuff available on Roku.

bob