Author Topic: Woman who wins lottery 4 times under media microscope, investigation  (Read 7083 times)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Re: Woman who wins lottery 4 times under media microscope, investigation
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2011, 06:15:28 PM »
While it looks like the woman did nothing illegal (unless she had insider information), my bet is that they continue to run her through the system, just because they can.

If what she was doing was illegal (using insider info), why didn't she stop after the first prize? If I were doing something of that sort, I wouldn't push my luck by repeating it.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2011, 07:39:54 PM »
You know, it really doesn't surprise me that with the power of home computers nowadays, and people that are really smart enough to figure out these kinds of things, that more algorithms for pseudo-random lotteries haven't been cracked.
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2011, 11:47:31 PM »
I look at lotteries as an investment opportunity. Any investment portfolio needs a really long shot/high payoff gamble in it.

And I wanna buy a container ship with a bunch of miniguns on it and sell cruise tickets.
Blog under construction

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2011, 12:24:20 AM »
QFT

Some of the users are pretty sad too.  They act exactly like addicts.  Buy the tickets and they can't even get out of the store before they have to hunch over and use.  Hell you are lucky if some of them can sidestep the cash register first.

Know a guy that sneers at actual investments, but thinks himself lucky at those scratch off cards.  Thing is, folks remember their wins and forget their loses. 

I think I dropped $50 in my half dozen trips to Vegas.  I've spent maybe another $50 on lotto tickets, as a joke whenever something really good or really bad happened.  I don't automatically sneer at gambling, if it's for entertainment value.  Thinking one is actually going to win?  Yea, not too likely.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2011, 12:39:32 AM »
'bout one a month or so a group of us gets together and we bring beer, booze and snacks and play some poker.  $20 buy-in Texas Hold'em (Prizes for 1st, 2nd and 3rd), then $20 worth of Dealer Calls the game.  Figure another $5 a head for pizza and your out ~$50 for the nights entertainment.  Good Friends, Good Conversations, Lots of Laughs and you may even pocket a couple of bucks (or be out $50 at the most). 

Cheaper then going out for a good meal.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2011, 12:42:56 AM »
While it looks like the woman did nothing illegal (unless she had insider information), my bet is that they continue to run her through the system, just because they can.

If what she was doing was illegal (using insider info), why didn't she stop after the first prize? If I were doing something of that sort, I wouldn't push my luck by repeating it.
If she's like most lottery winners, she probably blew all the money from previous wins.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2011, 01:30:09 AM »
QFT

Some of the users are pretty sad too.  They act exactly like addicts.  Buy the tickets and they can't even get out of the store before they have to hunch over and use.  Hell you are lucky if some of them can sidestep the cash register first.

Ah, yes, Lotto Man. Spends forfuckingever picking out the tickets he wants, asking a million questions about each one (dude, it's a *expletive deleted*ing scratchoff...you scratch it off to see that you lost)...then spends 10 minutes scratching his tickets off at the register.

Many times I have wondered if I would get arrested for beaning Lotto Man with a 2 liter coke...

*Lotto Man has a much greater chance of gracing you with his presence if you are in a hurry...

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2011, 09:45:13 AM »
When coming back from NO in '05 after Katrina duty at one of our rest stops one soldier dropped a few dollars on scratch off tickets.  Low and behold he got one of the $10,000 winners. :laugh:
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2011, 09:50:30 AM »
Many times I have wondered if I would get arrested for beaning Lotto Man with a 2 liter coke...

Many times when standing in line to buy gas I've wanted to bean the guy in front of me buying Coke. ;)

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2011, 09:57:57 AM »
Yep, when I buy gas, I look to see what the lotteries are up to.  Anything more then $100million and round my purchase up to nearest $5 with lottery tickets.

Which means I also spend about $20-30 a year to daydream for a couple of days about funding the APS Pirate Hunting Expedition.  [ar15] [ar15] [ar15]

Same here, but I day dream about a farm/deer camp
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2011, 10:37:18 AM »
The lottery is simply a tax on those who are too stupid to figure the odds.

Hey Castle Key, did our tickets win us anything, or are we going to our respective jobs in the morning?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2011, 10:55:12 AM »
The lottery is simply a tax on those who are too stupid to figure the odds.

Hey Castle Key, did our tickets win us anything, or are we going to our respective jobs in the morning?

Someone from MN was the jackpot winner and the $1m was from MO. Get your ass to work Mike! Millions on welfare depend on it.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2011, 11:17:19 AM »
I strolled into the office a bit late this morning... 6:44 a.m.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2011, 01:04:58 PM »
Who thinks that?  I've never met anyone who thought it was some kind of equalizer.  I have met many too dumb to realize their chances of winning are very tiny, even if they purchase 20+ cards at a time.

Card counting.  There are set numbers of winners in each roll and she figured out the system.  Not sure how she determined when to buy hers though.

Easy; watch for the dummy that buys 20+ cards of one game, then buy the next two of that game.

My system has me still about $80 ahead.

Bonus points for giggling loudly when your $2 buy nets you $23 and their $20 has a whole $2 winner in the whole pile.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 01:10:13 PM by KD5NRH »