Author Topic: turd bomb hits residence  (Read 4251 times)

vernal45

• friend
turd bomb hits residence
« on: March 10, 2008, 10:03:16 PM »
Well. I am up. Along with the wife, wishing that I had that belt fed 50 cal I posted about earlier. If seems that under our house has been turned into a love den by 2 skunks mating. I have never heard such a noise or smelled such a smell.  It smelled worse than a turd wrapped on burnt hair.   We just got finished lighting every candle that we own, using every can of oust we have. We boiled vinegar with cinnamann, roasted coffee grounds in an open oven, and the house still smells like a turd bomb went off. Good thing though, called the local PD, LT buddy of mine was on shift and told me if I was protectingu house I can exterminate said skunks.  Wonder if a 200 gr xtp 10mm will cure my problem, that or the 870.

Off to big box mart for more candles, ozium spray , vicks and oust.

Thanks for letting me share this.  Dont laugh too hard. 

Fjolnirsson

• friends
  • The Anti-Claus
Re: turd bomb hits residence
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2008, 10:06:30 PM »
Damn. Just..damn.
Hi.

BridgeWalker

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2008, 10:12:07 PM »
Hey, it could be worse.  I'm not sure how, I'm just sayin'...

Can you bathe a house in tomato juice?

How do you feel about last-minute vacations?

vernal45

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2008, 10:26:15 PM »
Back from big box mart. Its actually getting better. The ozium spray, roasted coffee grounds , with open windows and fans trained to suck out air its actually looking like a hotel stay will not be in the future.  I swear, if I ever write a graphic novel about a super hero, he will have skunk powers.  Talk about knocking a person to their knees like a sack of potatoes.   Damn.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2008, 12:25:34 AM »
To get skunks out from under your house, put ammonia in containers with holes in the lid and put it under the crawlspace areas.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2008, 01:38:12 AM »

Navigation
   Back
   The Secrets

Gretchen Messersmith's Skunk Odor Removal Update

Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Home Sweet (Smelling) Home
Making A House Smell Like Home Again After A Skunk Encounter

Reclaiming a house after a bad run in with a skunk is likely to rank high on a personal to-do list. The process to fully eradicate odors from a house can be a little tedious, but if the right steps are not taken, chances are a house will smell like a skunk moved in for quite some time to come.

Considering the strength of skunk spray odor, it is rather wise to take a fairly pointed and systematic approach to the cleaning process. Where to start and where to go from there can make all the difference in the world.

Cover The Emergency Bases First

Whether it's a pet that got sprayed or a person, taking care of the walking contaminated first is a very good place to start - right after making sure any central heating or air is turned off to make sure the odor doesn't permeate the entire house!

With the air turned off, the next steps to take include:

* Isolating the contaminated pet or person. If it's a dog and the weather is right, consider washing it outside. Otherwise, contain a person, cat or dog in a bathroom that has had fabric items removed. Take up the rugs, the "company towels" and so on to prevent anything else from picking up the smell.
    * Bagging up or immediately putting contaminated clothing into a wash on its own.
    * Selecting a cleanser (vinegar, clear drinking sodas, a professional product or so on) and wash the person or animal thoroughly. A few soaks might have to come into play for total removal. Don't stop this process until the odor has been fully or almost fully removed.

Getting The Rest Of The House

Once the living creature(s) have been squared away, it's time to move onto the rest of the house. The things to check and take care of to ensure a smell that doesn't linger include:

* Changing air filters. If the air was on even briefly, it is not a bad idea to change filters for AC system before turning it back on. Special scented or odor neutralizing filters are not a bad idea to consider in this case.
    * Fully scrubbing fabrics. Wash carpeting, furniture and other items that came into contact with the odors. A baking soda or soap and vinegar wash should help here.
    * Washing clothing and contaminated linens. Baking soda, vinegar, peroxide and even bleach in the water can help with the odor removal. Keep washing if the odor doesn't come out on the first try, but do not dry the laundry until it does. If the clothes go in the dryer, removing the scents later might be very difficult. Plus, it's possible the dryer will take on the odor.
    * Consider specialty products. If everything has been scrubbed down, sprayed with odor neutralizer products and the smell lingers, consider professional cleaning agents to handle the job.

Getting skunk odors out of a house is no walk in the park. If the scent has made it through the house, a room-by-room inspection and scrub down might be in order. If it hasn't, take action to get your home smelling sweet once again!
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2008, 01:53:06 AM »
Yowzers...  shocked

Does the thought that the happy couple will be bringing cute li'l new baby skunks into the world console you at all?  grin

I wouldn't get caught with coffee cans and Ozium either, if I were you.  cheesy
Avoid cliches like the plague!

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2008, 02:16:37 AM »
we had the same issue to deal with. first we blocked up all of the holes except for one that were leading to our crawlspace. we used some sand in front of the last hole so we could tell when the skunks had left for the evening, and then blocked up the final hole. i would worry about them spraying if shot. i think the scent will disapate on its own in a couple of weeks. fortunatly it will not get any stronger, and you will get somewhat used to it. good luck.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2008, 02:53:55 AM »
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Fjolnirsson

• friends
  • The Anti-Claus
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2008, 04:52:09 AM »
I wouldn't get caught with coffee cans and Ozium either, if I were you.

LOL....
Hi.

Paddy

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2008, 05:03:51 AM »
My question is..........how did they get under there in the first place?

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2008, 05:07:44 AM »
Nuke it from orbit. Tho only logical way.

Where are you guys from that you get skunks in the house? That seems a little strange to me.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

vernal45

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2008, 05:29:39 AM »
Under the house not in the house. And the only way I figure they got under there is we had a heating/air tech crawl under to give us an estimate in a new heating and duct system, he left a crawl space ajar. I have walked the house, crawl spaces are shut tight. I wonder if they just leave from under the house in the AM or camp out to screw again in the PM. Any way, the wildlife guy is here, so he can trap and release.  Me, I will shoot on sight.

Big_R

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2008, 06:00:25 AM »
Skunk smell remover (home made):

Got this from a good friend in the DNR.  Two bottles cheap hydrogen peroxide, 1/4 cup baking soda, 1 squirt liquid soap (doesn't matter which brand).  Mix it in a spray bottle and apply to affected surface.  Works unbelievably well.

I hit a skunk on my motorcycle and this took the smell off of my bike and off my leathers.

Ryan

vernal45

• friend
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2008, 07:52:10 AM »
Big_R, 

Thanks for the recipe. Do you happen to know if it will harm hard wood floors and/or furniture?

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2008, 08:04:14 AM »
It smelled worse than a turd wrapped on burnt hair.

Now that, my friends, is a word odor of the highest order.  grin

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Big_R

• friend
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2008, 08:07:50 AM »
Test it on a hidden spot.  I've used it on furniture, clothing, leather, etc. with no problems.  The DNR guy actually used it on his dog, but advised it may bleach animal hair.

Ryan

Big_R, 

Thanks for the recipe. Do you happen to know if it will harm hard wood floors and/or furniture?

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2008, 11:02:11 AM »
12 ga to the head.  Works every time.  However, a 38 special to the gut does not.  And, it ran under the house by way of the den it had dug the night before, and died.....6 months later when it got warm and humid, you could still smell it.  This was 25 years ago. 

X-O is a good odor eleminator.......I haven't tried it on skunk, nor do I want to.....chris3

vernal45

• friend
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2008, 11:41:14 AM »
Making the spray that Big_R suggested.  The wife found and purchased something called "Odor Assassin" .  Claims on the can say it will beat skunk odor.  We shall see.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2008, 04:55:49 PM »
what you need is some coyotes or great horned owls, they eat skunks
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2008, 05:14:40 PM »
what you need is some coyotes or great horned owls, they eat skunks

or a couple rednecks, some beer and a shotgun.  cheesy
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2008, 05:18:19 PM »
Making the spray that Big_R suggested.  The wife found and purchased something called "Odor Assassin" .  Claims on the can say it will beat skunk odor.  We shall see.

I can tell you from mucho experience that the spray Big_R suggested definitely works well. I had a Jack Russell who got sprayed 5 times in one summer and it works great. Shampooed him one time with quart and we could let him back in the house. If he got wet soon after, the smell would come back faintly (skunk odor is very oily) but it was bearable. He was a white dog so I don't know about bleaching but, I do know it works much better than tomato juice and didn't turn him pink! shocked grin
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

vernal45

• friend
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2008, 01:34:22 PM »
Update: 

So far 3 skunks and counting have been trapped.  House is smelling a little better.

LAK

• friend
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2008, 02:59:33 AM »
Go to wallyworld, get cheap "boombox" cd player and a vintage Barbara Streisand cd. Run an extention cord out to allow you to place it as far into the lair of the evil creatures as you can reach. Turn it on and use the "repeat" function to replay it over and over again. Turn the volume up high enough that it distorts alittle - this will almost be as good as an old scratchy vinyl LP - and leave it under there for as long as you can stand it.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2008, 07:00:36 AM »
Go to wallyworld, get cheap "boombox" cd player and a vintage Barbara Streisand cd. Run an extention cord out to allow you to place it as far into the lair of the evil creatures as you can reach. Turn it on and use the "repeat" function to replay it over and over again. Turn the volume up high enough that it distorts alittle - this will almost be as good as an old scratchy vinyl LP - and leave it under there for as long as you can stand it.

Do you want him to be arrested for cruelty to animals?  grin
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G