Author Topic: Rail Gun - it is here  (Read 1629 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Rail Gun - it is here
« on: May 12, 2009, 05:40:15 AM »
http://hackedgadgets.com/2009/05/07/mv-coilmaster-mark1-coil-gun/

All sorts of technical crap that I do not understand, but it shoots.

OK, it will not destroy Mars, but apparently it is powerful enough to leave a bruise.  And it can run on batteries! =D

Is there still enough time to get on Santa's list of good little boys & girls?  This has to be way better than any Nerf missle launcher, and besides, you could put your eye out.

stay safe.

skidmark
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Iain

• friend
Re: Rail Gun - it is here
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 06:42:22 AM »
So he's getting 96fps witha 42gr (gram, not grain) projectile. Wonder if the projectiles need to be this big.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 06:54:52 AM »
The light bulb on the front is a very cool touch.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 07:29:05 AM »

There's a big difference between a coil gun (gauss gun) and a railgun.    =)

Gauss guns use external coils aligned down the length of barrel to launch a projectile that can be magnetized. Basically, you have a row of discreet electromagnets.  You turn on the first one to start the projectile moving.  As it gets close enough, the first electromagnet turns off and the second electromagnet turns on (pulling the projectile).  Repeat as necessary.  A simple mass driver, if you will.

A railgun has two metal rails (in parallel), connected to a power supply.  The projectile is conductive and completes the circuit.  The current going through the now completed circuit makes the railgun into an electromagnet, and makes the projectile move down the rails (via Lorentz force) away from the power supply.

Now, there is a way to combine these two into a weapon.  Basically, wrap a helical barrel around the two rails of a railgun.  Hrm.  I wonder if I could get some of that green "hybrid research" grants.  Combining a railgun with a mass drive just has all kinds of interesting potential.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009, 08:42:07 AM »
So he's getting 96fps with a 42gr (gram, not grain) projectile. Wonder if the projectiles need to be this big.
It's been many years since I've played with coilguns, but I do remember that more massive projectiles of the same material typically worked better.  Small objects were not attracted as well as larger ones, and of course lacked the inertia to make do very much once they passed through the coils.  Of course, a balance had to be struck, but we always tended to use larger ones.

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2009, 09:38:04 AM »
Meh.

THIS is a railgun.

7-11 was a part time job.

Physics

• ∇xE=-1/c·∂B/∂t, ∇·E=4πρ, ∇·B=0, ∇xB=1/c·∂E/∂t, F=q(E+v/cxB)
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2009, 11:38:59 AM »
Cute, but I've seen far better in terms of functionality. 
In the world of science, there is physics.  Everything else is stamp collecting.  -Ernest Rutherford

Paragon

• friend
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2009, 07:35:55 PM »
Meh.

THIS is a railgun.

That's on Aberdeen Proving Grounds, isn't it?

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2009, 07:50:59 PM »
Yep. APG.

BATFE will be along shortly to ask you terrorists some questions. Have your two IDs ready.

TC
TC
RT Refugee

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2009, 08:18:24 PM »
Yep. APG.

BATFE will be along shortly to ask you terrorists some questions. Have your two IDs ready.

TC

Sadly, probably not too far off.

Check your car for any GPS trackers!  ;)
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.