Author Topic: Fiscal armageddon  (Read 2256 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Fiscal armageddon
« on: May 13, 2009, 12:52:33 PM »
Ahnold has threated "fiscal armegeddon" for Cali by budget moves that will lay off just about everybody who used to be called "essential" - teachers, police, firefighters, prison guards, hospitals, and a minor provision that would bar legislators from raising their pay during an economic emergency.

Unfortunately he has submitted each proposal as an individual budget bill.  So far it seems only the legislative pay raise provision has any real public support.

So, my question is - do we sell Cali back to Spain or to Mexico, or will there be an auction like they hold for farms that go bankrupt?  If the latter, do you folks want to see how much credit we can pool for our bid?

stay safe.

skidmark
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
Re: Fiscal armageddon
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 01:40:49 PM »
Ah, the old "quit spending, raise taxes or else" ploy that we've lived with for so long.

Our legislators won't quit spending because that's all they seem to know how to do.

The people are refusing more taxes because of the economy. Can't get blood from a turnip as they say.

The "or else" sounds interesting.

If CA is put up for auction, be sure to bring money...and guns.  =D
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 03:47:53 PM »
Well, he could stop welfare, medicaid, education for illegal aliens, food stamps, etc., . . . but cutting THOSE programs wouldn't hurt the people actually PAYING for them, so they might not care.  :rolleyes:
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 03:52:34 PM »
I say that those states in serious fiscal trouble could easily cut 50% of their budget and no one would notice....
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009, 03:53:57 PM »
I say that those states in serious fiscal trouble could easily cut 50% of their budget and no one would notice....

That's the problem! These states have to make sure what they cut WILL BE what people notice!

They aren't supposed to survive on less! That's what the little people do!
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009, 04:08:54 PM »
Ahnold has threated "fiscal armegeddon" for Cali by budget moves that will lay off just about everybody who used to be called "essential" - teachers, police, firefighters, prison guards, hospitals, and a minor provision that would bar legislators from raising their pay during an economic emergency.

Well, he could stop welfare, medicaid, education for illegal aliens, food stamps, etc.,

Funny how they want to shut down the core elements of government rather than the crap that the leeches live off of.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

buzz_knox

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2009, 04:12:49 PM »

Why don't they start with nonessential personnel like bureaucrats?  Oh, I forgot.  If they don't start with people who actually provide services citizens needs, the citizens won't be frightened and intimidated into supporting higher taxes.

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2009, 07:49:51 PM »
Our legislators won't quit spending because that's all they seem to know how to do.

Oh no, LS: they know how to restrict the rights of the billpayers too. It's *because they can* dontcha know.

TC
TC
RT Refugee

HankB

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2009, 02:20:34 PM »
Why don't they start with nonessential personnel like bureaucrats? 
This reminds me of a time I remember some years back when I was still living in Minnesota, and virtually all State employees went on strike.

There were some problems at U of MN, where students had longer lines to stand in as they were trying to sign up for classes, but aside from that . . . firemen kept fighting fires, policemen kept policing, ambulances and hospitals kept running, roads kept being fixed, electricity and water stayed on, schools stayed open, (notice that most of these are not STATE employees!) . . . the services people actually want kept operating.

In short, if not for stories on the nightly news about the strike, most people wouldn't have noticed.

The union settled as this began to be pointed out in letters to the editor, local radio call-in shows, etc.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2009, 12:54:34 AM »
He's bluffing.  He always puts forth the "SkyNet" scenarios in an attempt to pass the unpalatable.  The Props are going down in a big way, and though Arnold Kennedegger has blustered before and had to back down (Correctional Officers Union, anyone?), he doesn't seem to get it.

Or maybe he does, and doesn't want a bankrupt California as his legacy.

Hasta la vista, Cali!
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2009, 04:49:33 AM »
Word now is the Gov wants to sell San Quentin.

http://www.santacruzsentinel.com/nationalbreaking/ci_12364425   

C'mon guys, pony up. You know it would make an awesome port for us APS pirates.  :lol:

Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2009, 08:01:04 AM »
Word now is the Gov wants to sell San Quentin.

http://www.santacruzsentinel.com/nationalbreaking/ci_12364425   

C'mon guys, pony up. You know it would make an awesome port for us APS pirates.  :lol:

As much as I like the idea of an APS pirate port, I can see buying up the various fairgrounds as a better, and perhaps less expensive, first option.  We can hold gunshows where evil black-, pink-, and other -colored rifles can be had by the plebes.  If we own the venue, we can do the transfers ourselves, thus loosening the restrictions imposed by the Cali waiting period.  Also, a little judicious moving of earth could create appropriate berms for some serious long-distance ranges.

How close to the beach is the Ventura County Fairground?  I'm thinking of a new meaning for 'surf & turf'!  =D

What say you?  Fairgrounds first, then plow the profits into a seaside fortress?

stay safe.

skidmark
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2009, 01:25:53 PM »
Awww hell.  I thought you said Fistful Armageddon.   This is something else entirely.  Never mind.   

"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

cslinger

• friend
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2009, 01:39:21 PM »
Fiscal Armageddon!!!!!!

Everybody get to da choppa!!!!

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2009, 01:40:36 PM »
Fiscal Armageddon!!!!!!