Author Topic: a freebie for you  (Read 1587 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
a freebie for you
« on: August 21, 2009, 12:30:23 PM »
I've had these cards for a long time now, but never could figure out how to post the images without exposing my account.  That was because I'm a computer idiot - "monkey see - monkey do" is advanced techniques I am not permitted to do without adult supervision.

Well, today I got that adult supervision from a personal friend and recent new member here (herohog).

Moving past that, I've been a bit more than put out over all the commentary all over the interwebs about how bringing a gun to a political event is only going to draw attention away from the issue onto the gun and label you for being a <insert perjorative du jour> for doing so.  I also am aware that we here at APS have had the Open Carry is OK/Open Carry is Bad debate a number of times.  I'm not looking to ressurest that discussion.

One of the ways that I deal with folks who ask/challenge me about the validity/legality of open carry is at some time during the encounter to offer them one or more of my Open Carry cards:

and .

These are specific to the laws of Virginia.  I did them at Vista Print because I found them to be inexpensive and reliable - YMMV.  The image is one Vista Print has in their clip art file.  Currently I'm paying about $0.081/1000 double-sided cards, which is by taking advantage of their "free" offers and "additional" offers.  The lowest quote from local printers is $0.359/1000 + fees for artwork setup.

So anyhow - here they are.  You can go to Vista Print using these images, or root around for the clip art and work up your own.  Please be sure to change the text to conform with your state/local laws if you are not in Virginia.

stay safe.

skidmark
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

crt360

• friend
Re: a freebie for you
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2009, 03:12:50 PM »
Interesting.  Does the definition of "restaurants & clubs" cover all places that serve alcohol or does Virginia have something like the 51% rule?  You can carry in a place of worship if the religious meeting being held is without good and sufficient reason? :D  Who makes that call?
For entertainment purposes only.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2009, 03:33:31 PM »
CRT, "restaurants and clubs" cover any place with an on-premises ABC permit.  It's one of the reasons we want to get rid of that provision of the CCW law. 

Chris

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2009, 05:46:36 PM »
I think that Minnesota has been ok with their carry laws. They DO require a Permit to Carry, which costs $100 to Open Carry (or carry concealed) plus classes. One can go into any place that serves alcohol and I don't know of any instances where it's been a problem. They even allow a drink, perhaps two, depending on several factors, while carrying. Of course, there could have been a couple of instances over the last year and a half since I've returned to Texas. However, out of some 60,000 permit holders, they're doing quite well, IMHO.
" a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand." - Lucius Annaeus

for Military, Vets, & Supporters, check out:
USMILNET

Conservative Discussion Forum

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2009, 08:07:25 PM »
Interesting.  You can carry in a place of worship if the religious meeting being held is without good and sufficient reason? :D  Who makes that call?

Ya know, us'ns here in Virginia just never looked at it that way before.  Thanks for pointing out the alternative perspective.  =D

It's never been adjudicated, so there is no case law to guide us.  There are folks who regularly carry to their place of religious worship, and some places set up special days asking folks to come carrying.  One of these days we'll get one of the shamans to do a "blesing of the guns" - they already do blessings of animals, motor vehicles, garden soil and the like.

During your visit to Virginia remember the state motto - "Keep Virginia Green, Bring Money."

stay safe.

skidmark
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

crt360

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2009, 01:19:06 AM »
Instead of waiting around for someone to test the issue, go ahead and cover all your bases.  Y'all could just put up a sign warning folks that they are about to worship without good and sufficient reason, and that they fully understand and accept any and all potential consequences that may arise therefrom, including without limitation the risk of eternal damnation.  Problem solved.  =D
For entertainment purposes only.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2009, 07:08:04 AM »
Instead of waiting around for someone to test the issue, go ahead and cover all your bases.  Y'all could just put up a sign warning folks that they are about to worship without good and sufficient reason, and that they fully understand and accept any and all potential consequences that may arise therefrom, including without limitation the risk of eternal damnation sitting next to someone carrying one or more of the enumerated items.  Problem solved.  =D

Fixed it for you.  Here in Virginia your soul and its care belongs to any of a number of Baptist preachers who currently or previously had their own TV shows (not local access, but bought&paidfor real TV shows).

stay safe.

skidmark

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2009, 03:05:08 PM »
Another good reason for using a laptop.  They're much easier to turn sideways than a desktop is:

=D

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2009, 04:38:02 PM »
Another good reason for using a laptop.  They're much easier to turn sideways than a desktop is:

=D

DD

So you are saying that you have objections to leaning to the left? :O

stay safe.

skidmark

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2009, 06:08:44 PM »
So you are saying that you have objections to leaning to the left?

1)  Yes
2)  Any suggestions for cleaning out a laptop keyboard?  :laugh:

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
-P.F.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2009, 12:40:06 AM »
Be careful - if you hold it upside down and shake it all your work will be lost.

Bonus points for citing the literary reference.  :lol:

stay safe.

skidmark

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2009, 03:24:50 AM »
As much as I'd like to scarf up some unearned points, I've missed the literary reference.  What is it? 

DD?
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
-P.F.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2009, 07:49:38 AM »
Dilbert's pointy-headed boss' laptop is an Etch-A-Sketch.

stay safe.

skidmark

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2009, 08:39:44 AM »

stay safe.

skidmark

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2009, 01:32:19 PM »

Sorry, my mistake.  I thought you said literary reference.   =D

j/k... I'm a Dilbert fan, just didn't make the connection.  Actually, there's a lot of crossover between Dilbert and my work life, so I tend to block out a lot of it in the name of self-preservation of my mental state.

DD

Actually, "Dilbert" + "Office Space" = My Job
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
-P.F.