Author Topic: NASA Chief: Next Frontier Better Relations With Muslim World  (Read 11633 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Re: NASA Chief: Next Frontier Better Relations With Muslim World
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2010, 09:19:35 AM »
Since the guy and others brought up the issue of past scientific accomplishments of the Muslim world I have a question.  Were those accomplishments actually done by Muslim people or by the cultures/people the Muslims conquered? 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2010, 09:56:52 AM »
Since the guy and others brought up the issue of past scientific accomplishments of the Muslim world I have a question.  Were those accomplishments actually done by Muslim people or by the cultures/people the Muslims conquered? 

Some of the more important accomplishments in mathematics are Muslim in origin. But the Muslims ALSO are famous for reviving/protecting/translating a variety of Ancient texts. Our knowledge of Aristotle almost completely comes via the Muslims.

They also created several of the economic institutions we enjoy today.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

longeyes

• friend
Is-lam and Was-lam
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2010, 10:56:29 AM »
NASA, under Obama, is becoming what every institution in America is destined to become: a global social welfare organization in which America subsidizes its own "humbling."

There are people who debunk the glorious medieval accomplishments of Islam, you know, but in any case the "is" is what matters, not the "was." 
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2010, 10:59:25 AM »
Arabic numerals, investigation of magnetism, astronomy . . . sure. Give credit where credit is due.

And I've no doubt that some capable scientists today are Moslem.

But what have Moslems done scientifically as a culture lately, with "lately" understood to mean the last couple of hundred years?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2010, 11:24:28 AM »
Just as our schools have turned into engines of Self-Esteem--psychological rehab, as it were--rather than engines of Learning, so our Government itself has turned into an engine of Self-Esteem for Everywhere But America.  The only shocker here is that spearpoint is, somewhat confoundingly and more than a little risibly, NASA!
"Domari nolo."

Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2010, 01:42:38 PM »
I guess I was thinking that the Muslim controlled areas of the time were heavy trade routes which were information routes as well for trading information from the East and West.  They were in an ideal position to collect a lot of knowledge and ideas from different cultures. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2010, 03:52:08 PM »
The full horror of this decision is not that NASA is 'engaging the Islamic world'. If anything, that's the least controversial part of the deal.

The problem is that NASA is folding back from space travel. NASA's goals are now talking to schoolchildren about space, engaging other nations in space research, talking to Muslims about space. Nothing about these things is actually bad per se – but the thing that's key here is that none of these goals are about actually going to space.

Then there is really no point in allowing the agency to exist any longer. Disband NASA and take the money they would have gotten and award contracts to the likes of Sir Richard Branson and Bob Bigelow who are already doing space travel developement on their own dime.
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2010, 03:55:35 PM »
Ceding America's legacy and lead in space exploration is part of The Great Humbling.  We are fools to permit this.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2010, 06:04:27 PM »
Then there is really no point in allowing the agency to exist any longer. Disband NASA and take the money they would have gotten and award contracts to the likes of Sir Richard Branson and Bob Bigelow who are already doing space travel developement on their own dime.

And this is already being done.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

HankB

• friend
« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2010, 09:47:39 PM »
BHO & Company are more likely to divert the money to whatever organizations have been spun off from ACORN or the Black Panthers.  :mad:
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2010, 09:57:06 AM »
Ceding America's legacy and lead in space exploration is part of The Great Humbling.  We are fools to permit this.

This right here.

It's similar to giving South Africa credit now for being the "Cradle of Humanity". What have they done for the world lately?
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2010, 03:12:30 PM »
Arabic numerals, investigation of magnetism, astronomy . . . sure. Give credit where credit is due.

And I've no doubt that some capable scientists today are Moslem.

But what have Moslems done scientifically as a culture lately, with "lately" understood to mean the last couple of hundred years?

I hear suicide vest technology has grown by leaps and bounds...
I promise not to duck.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2010, 03:25:58 PM »
I hear suicide vest technology has grown by leaps and bounds...

How about the gas laser and fiber optics? These are the work of a Muslim scientist. You're surfing the Internet right now because of the work of a a man named Ali Javan.

Or in space, ever hear of man named Mohammad ABdus Salam?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2010, 04:49:13 PM »
How about the gas laser and fiber optics? These are the work of a Muslim scientist. You're surfing the Internet right now because of the work of a a man named Ali Javan.

Or in space, ever hear of man named Mohammad ABdus Salam?
Where did that research take place?  Where were they educated? 

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2010, 05:21:56 PM »
No one says Muslims, today, can't excel in science and technology, but they are unlikely to do that within the womb of the Ummah or if they are strict believers who think all knowledge is contained in one book.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2010, 06:03:30 PM »
Where did that research take place?  Where were they educated? 

The former is/was an Iranian immigrant who worked at MIT. The latter is a Pakistani citizen who works with the PAkistani space program. Is also a Nobel laureate.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #41 on: July 08, 2010, 07:18:33 PM »
The latter is a Pakistani citizen who works with the PAkistani space program. Is also a Nobel laureate.

begging the question?  where did he go to school?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abdus_Salam

Salam's father was an officer in the Department of Education in a poor farming district. His family has a long tradition of piety and learning.

At age fourteen, Salam scored the highest marks ever recorded for the Matriculation Examination at the Punjab University. He won a scholarship to the Government College, Punjab University, in Lahore. As a fourth-year student there, he published his work on Srinivasa Ramanujan.[4] He received his master's degree from the Government College in 1946. That same year, he was awarded a scholarship to St. John's College, Cambridge University, where he completed a BA degree with Double First-Class Honours in Mathematics and Physics in 1949. In 1950, he received the Smith's Prize from Cambridge University for the most outstanding pre-doctoral contribution to Physics.

He obtained a PhD degree in Theoretical Physics at Cambridge. His doctoral thesis contained fundamental work in Quantum Electrodynamics. By the time it was published in 1951, it had already gained him an international reputation and the Adams Prize.[5]
[edit] Later career

He returned to the Government College University, Lahore as a Professor of Mathematics from 1951 to 1954 and then went back to Cambridge as a lecturer in mathematics.

In 1956 he was invited to take a chair at Imperial College, London, where he and Paul Matthews created a lively theoretical physics group. He remained a professor at Imperial until his retirement.

During the early 1960s Salam played a very significant role in establishing the Pakistan Atomic Energy Commission (PAEC) – the atomic research agency of Pakistan – and Space and Upper Atmosphere Research Commission (SUPARCO) – the space research agency of Pakistan, of which he was the founding director. Due to Prof. Salam's influence President Ayub Khan had the Nuclear Power Plant near Karachi (KANUPP) personally approved, against the wishes of his own Government[6]. Salam was also instrumental in setting up five Superior Science colleges throughout Pakistan to further the progress in science in the country. Salam was a firm believer that "scientific thought is the common heritage of mankind," and that developing nations needed to help themselves and invest into their own scientists to boost development and reduce the gap between the Global South and the Global North, thus contributing to a more peaceful world. Salam also founded the Third World Academy of Sciences (TWAS) and was a leading figure in the creation of a number of international centres dedicated to the advancement of science and technology.

In 1964, Salam founded International Centre for Theoretical Physics (ICTP), Trieste, in the North-East of Italy. He was the Director of ICTP from 1964 to December 1993. The Centre has since been renamed to (The Abdus Salam International Centre for Theoretical Physics). In 1959, he became one of the youngest to be named Fellow of the Royal Society at the age of 33.

In 1998, the Government of Pakistan issued a stamp carrying his portrait as part of a series entitled "Scientists of Pakistan."[7]. He was a foreign fellow of Bangladesh Academy of Sciences [8]
[edit] Religion

Abdus Salam was a devout Muslim, and a member of the Ahmadiyya Muslim Community[9], who saw his religion as integral to his scientific work. He once wrote: "The Holy Quran enjoins us to reflect on the verities of Allah's created laws of nature; however, that our generation has been privileged to glimpse a part of His design is a bounty and a grace for which I render thanks with a humble heart."[5]

During his acceptance speech for the Nobel Prize in Physics, Salam quoted the following verses from the Quran:
“    Thou seest not, in the creation of the All-merciful any imperfection, Return thy gaze, seest thou any fissure. Then Return thy gaze, again and again. Thy gaze, Comes back to thee dazzled, aweary.    ”

He then said:
“    This, in effect, is the faith of all physicists; the deeper we seek, the more is our wonder excited, the more is the dazzlement for our gaze.[10]    ”

In 1974, when the Parliament of Pakistan declared Ahmadis to be non-Muslims, he left Pakistan for London in protest.
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #42 on: July 09, 2010, 11:03:22 AM »
The exception that proves the rule?

The most important thing about this latest Obama lunacy is not the act itself but the fact that the mainstream media in America won't cover it because they know well how harmful it would be to the Chosen One.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2010, 04:58:37 PM »
and today, Gibb's announces that Bolden must have "mis-spoke"... no muslim outreach, etc.
Gibb's is starting to remind me of that Bagdad Bob character the Sadam Hussein spokesman.
What we have here is failure to communicate.