Author Topic: Taser happy police are scared of a bedridden granny on oxygen  (Read 35078 times)

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
Re: Taser happy police are scared of a bedridden granny on oxygen
« Reply #125 on: July 12, 2010, 04:10:19 PM »
In a case like this, the LEO's could take a lesson from prison CO's....

They tend to use riot shields (or other items like ballistic vests) to body block and immobilize a knife-wielding person until they are disarmed...and since this lady was bedridden, such a tactic would be even more successful....

Not arguing the need for force to disarm her....just the use of tactics that could have ended in death and injury to more than one person....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #126 on: July 12, 2010, 04:12:42 PM »
I said that if a theoretical cop couldn't disarm granny without accidentally falling on a knife and sustaining a lethal wound that cop (referred to as "you" for grammatical convenience) deserves what he got. And I stand by that.

I'm kinda glad to see you removed from the gene pool.

isn't ambiguous

Just like how the Bible says "There is no God" right? Just ignore the context and what comes before....  ;/

Seriously, stop trolling. It's getting old.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

taurusowner

« Reply #127 on: July 12, 2010, 04:26:12 PM »
I said that if a theoretical cop couldn't disarm granny without accidentally falling on a knife and sustaining a lethal wound that cop (referred to as "you" for grammatical convenience) deserves what he got.

Well...no, you did not say "he deserves what he got".  You did say you would be "glad."

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #128 on: July 12, 2010, 04:35:33 PM »
Well...no, you did not say "he deserves what he got".  You did say you would be "glad."

:facepalm:
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #129 on: July 12, 2010, 04:35:54 PM »
if they used the techniques co use on inmates granny would be deceased   when they threaten to bring out the tac teams almost all inmates comply
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

taurusowner

« Reply #130 on: July 12, 2010, 05:08:48 PM »
:facepalm:

Am I wrong here?  We can all read right?

Quote from: Balog on Today at 11:38:16 AM
If you accidentally fall on a knife trying to disarm a (I feel the need to re-iterate) heavily medicated bed ridden 86 y/o, I'm kinda glad to see you removed from the gene pool.

Does it say "he deserved what he got" in that sentence anywhere?  Am I missing some words here that some of you can see?

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #131 on: July 12, 2010, 05:08:56 PM »
I like Darwin awards, even when the nominee wears a badge. I like them even when the nominee is a grunt Marine like myself, if that is needed to stop you from distorting my words to try to be able to slander me as a cop hater so you can disregard my opinion without trying to refute it.

CSD: wtf does how inmates are treated relate to this?

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

taurusowner

« Reply #132 on: July 12, 2010, 05:12:42 PM »
I like Darwin awards, even when the nominee wears a badge. I like them even when the nominee is a grunt Marine like myself, if that is needed to stop you from distorting my words to try to be able to slander me as a cop hater so you can disregard my opinion without trying to refute it.

Distort your words?  Seriously??  You're the one who actually is claiming to have stated something completely different from what you actually posted.

Quote from: Balog on Today at 11:38:16 AM
If you accidentally fall on a knife trying to disarm a (I feel the need to re-iterate) heavily medicated bed ridden 86 y/o, I'm kinda glad to see you removed from the gene pool.

I said that if a theoretical cop couldn't disarm granny without accidentally falling on a knife and sustaining a lethal wound that cop (referred to as "you" for grammatical convenience) deserves what he got.

DOES NOT COMPUTE.

• friends
« Reply #133 on: July 12, 2010, 05:13:11 PM »

you need to read seekers post to understand  he suggested using the techniques co's use
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #134 on: July 12, 2010, 05:30:50 PM »
You're trying pretty hard to be offended, aren't you Ragnar?

"You" can and is contextually sensitive, like many English words. Just as "my" can denote ownership (my shoes) or affiliation (my wife). This absurd argument you're trying to make is no different than a radical feminist claiming the phrase "My wife" is an indication of a chauvinist attitude of women as chattel. It's pretty obvious to anyone not desperately seeking a way to ad hom their debate opponent so as to be able to ignore the arguments presented.

If this was a story about a stupid burglar and I had said "If you die from a shock trying to steal electrical lines, I'm glad to see you go" and had then later reiterated that sentiment if not exact phrasing and said "if you die stealing copper lines you got what you deserved" I'm pretty sure you'd know exactly what I meant.

taurusowner

« Reply #135 on: July 12, 2010, 05:38:19 PM »
"Glad" and "Deserved" are not contextually sensitive.  And you're trying pretty hard to avoid admitting you are trying to go back and change what you said after realizing you did say you would be glad if someone died.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #136 on: July 12, 2010, 05:46:51 PM »
I would be glad if someone that stupid died. I've always said Darwin Awards make me happy.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #137 on: July 12, 2010, 05:55:09 PM »
Regardless what some might want to see happen in these situations, the way I see it these cops followed the same procedure that (as far as I can tell) every single other police department in the nation uses.  They pulled out their less-than-lethal and non-physical-injury-producing taser and zapped her.  You may not like the procedure, but I see no reason to call them cowards for doing what they are told/trained to do.  

We seem to go through some version of this every time a taser article is posted where someone who is not physically imposing is tased.  I don't disagree that there are often better ways to do things, but I also hear quite a bit that LEO's are taught to use a taser before any physical contact.  I guess what I am getting at is if you want to blame someone for these tactics, look at the bosses and politicos, not the officers.  Also, if you want officers to put themselves at risk more than they do, you might put your vote in for paying them more when you get the chance.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 06:04:30 PM by MechAg94 »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #138 on: July 12, 2010, 06:14:24 PM »
I think I fall out on the side of "If you can't get a knife away from an 86YO bedridden woman on O2 without resorting to a taser, you ought to be in a different line of work."  Something that can neither overpower them not out-think them.  Maybe interior decorating or a florist. 

I mean, really.  Are these jokers using their heads for anything other than a hat rack? 
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

• friends
« Reply #139 on: July 12, 2010, 06:21:59 PM »
i don't think its a case of they couldn't  but rather they are trained to do things a certain way. and it would appear that tazers haave reduced injuries on both sides of the badge

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #140 on: July 12, 2010, 06:27:50 PM »
Cops make way, way more than I did as a Marine and have far less chance of getting killed by hostiles.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #141 on: July 12, 2010, 06:29:54 PM »
i don't think its a case of they couldn't  but rather they are trained to do things a certain way. and it would appear that tazers haave reduced injuries on both sides of the badge
That is what I am saying.  They are taught/trained to not even try to disarm a person directly.  A lot of people don't seem to like it, but that seems to be the common tactic across the country.  I would also add that in many places we don't pay cops enough to ask them to put themselves at further risk just because people don't like tasers (in general that is).  
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #142 on: July 12, 2010, 06:34:36 PM »
Cops make way, way more than I did as a Marine and have far less chance of getting killed by hostiles.
There are likely janitors who make more than the average Marine too.  The Marine probably has to do a better job cleaning the head too, but it is a pretty meaningless comparison beyond that.  

taurusowner

« Reply #143 on: July 12, 2010, 07:25:56 PM »
That is what I am saying.  They are taught/trained to not even try to disarm a person directly.  A lot of people don't seem to like it, but that seems to be the common tactic across the country.  I would also add that in many places we don't pay cops enough to ask them to put themselves at further risk just because people don't like tasers (in general that is).  

A lot of that stems from legal battles.  Back in the days before tasers or reliable sprays, just piling officers on a subject was pretty much an accepted police tactic.  Hell, one of my academy instructors showed us the old lead filled Sap Gloves and Blackjack that was actually issued by his first department in the 60's.  Departments found out that going hands-on led to A LOT of injuries on both sides.  Which in turn led to A LOT of lawsuits from both sides as well.  Workers comps suits when the cops get injured, and wrongful injury suits when it was the subject.

Then along comes TASER with their revolutionary product that allowed officers to incapacitate a subject without cracking skulls or with fists or lead filled gloves or choking people out.  Injuries on both sides plummet.  To the point where even one Taser injury is national news.  Consider how often a Taser is used every night somewhere in the US.  Thousands of times a day.  Then look at the handful of stories, one every few weeks or so about alleged improper use of the Taser.  And not even all of them actually result in injury.

And anecdotally, I've been Tased a total of three times in my life.  Once where they just connected the leads to me, and twice where they actually shot me with the barbs.  And I'll take that over getting smacked with an ASP baton or blackjack any day.

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #144 on: July 12, 2010, 08:21:33 PM »
I doubt the bedridden granny will set a new Tueller Drill.  Use your brain, its what god gave you.  The cops here did not use their collective brains.  Now, cop apologists, take it from there and tell us stories of woe about crazed, knife wielding grannies, bedridden, and how you have had to train to put them down before they do you in.   :facepalm:
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

• friends
« Reply #145 on: July 12, 2010, 08:36:39 PM »
I doubt the bedridden granny will set a new Tueller Drill.  Use your brain, its what god gave you.  The cops here did not use their collective brains.  Now, cop apologists, take it from there and tell us stories of woe about crazed, knife wielding grannies, bedridden, and how you have had to train to put them down before they do you in.   :facepalm:

do share with us your own theory and particularly experience(s) with disarming and tasers [popcorn] meatworld experiences preferably

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #146 on: July 12, 2010, 08:51:45 PM »
Meatworld?  Why should I? You seem to deal with hype and deflection,'when you are not race baiting.

It seems a bedridden person, hint: that means they can't get out of the bed, could be, oh, talked to, instead of going ninja on. Use of force starts with verbal persuasion.  You advocate that people get what they deserve when they are acting dumb, you fail to mention the asterisk saying LE not included b

I don't have to prove anything to you or anyone, so on meatworld, go pound sand.
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #147 on: July 12, 2010, 09:14:17 PM »
if they used the techniques co use on inmates granny would be deceased  

Unlikely....but, it would be a lot less likely to start a fire in an oxygen-rich environment, too....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

• friends
« Reply #148 on: July 12, 2010, 09:21:28 PM »
Use of force starts with verbal persuasion.

deed it did  grandson struck out at that so did the cop  of course its always disenheartening when you try to talk to someone with a knife talking about killing you.

so i take it either your experience is very limited or so extensive that you don't want to overwhelm us with it.  or was it that meatworld qualifier that was bad? real life can be such a drag  filled with ugly lose lose situations that the peons have to slog through. i guess its all in perspective. i thought it ending with her still breathing was good. i never factored for anything more than that when you have a person with a knife and several with guns

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #149 on: July 12, 2010, 09:26:46 PM »
Unlikely....but, it would be a lot less likely to start a fire in an oxygen-rich environment, too....
You forgot the part where they thoughtfully stepped on the oxygen hose.   [popcorn]
"It's good, though..."