Author Topic: What's wrong with this picture?  (Read 8831 times)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
What's wrong with this picture?
« on: March 10, 2009, 11:11:40 AM »
My printer is out of ink. I goto Staples to buy some new ink, and it's significantly more expensive than the freaking printer was! Something is wrong about that....

I'm no hippie, but it seems horrifically wasteful to buy a new printer every time the old one runs out of ink.  =(
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

mgdavis

• friend
Re: What's wrong with this picture?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 11:14:04 AM »
It's the same as buying refills for your razor. Get 'em hooked on your brand, then charge an obscene amount when they come back for more.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009, 11:14:34 AM »
I don't even like this printer!  ;/

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2009, 11:29:33 AM »
I've not had a working printer at the house for well over a year now.

I got sick and tired of playing that dance.

I print so little that my ink was always drying out anyways.

So, I just bring stuff that I need to print into the office and print it out on the lasers.

If I get another printer, it will be a laser.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2009, 11:34:14 AM »
This is precisely why I got an HP laser for $65 after rebates.

It's laser. If you leave it for a year, it will still print.

I got sick of playing the "dried out ink cartridge/won't print black without all five colors loaded" game, too.

Also, inkjets are the loss leader for ink sales.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2009, 11:37:02 AM »
Inkjets as a loss leader for ink sales..... My God, that's so true! How did I not see that.....

Note to self: buy laser printer....

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2009, 11:37:45 AM »
My printer is out of ink. I goto Staples to buy some new ink, and it's significantly more expensive than the freaking printer was! Something is wrong about that....

A lot of the companies provide 'starter cartridges' with their printers; they only contain a third to half of the ink of the normal cartridges.  Still, I agree with Mike.

I'm looking at something like this:  HP LaserJet CM1312nfi CC431A MFC / All-In-One Up to 12 ppm 600 x 600 dpi Color Laser Printer

$399 with free shipping.  No ink to dry out.  Hugely expensive for the amount I print, but I'd likely to never need to replace the toner in it.  Each toner cartridge is ~$60, but rated for ~22k pages.  11 cents per full color, 2.7 per black.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2009, 11:39:07 AM »
Inkjets as a loss leader for ink sales..... My God, that's so true! How did I not see that.....

Note to self: buy laser printer....

Check the specs on those, too. HPs are pretty low-cost. Some Brother models are horribly expensive, they need a replaceable $125 drum on a $100 printer.

HP is still pretty much the best plug-it-in-and-print laser, plus the toners are cheap whenever Staples runs an instant savings thing.

Many stores run specials on this little HP, which is 600dpi and fast as hell, actually, for $50-$65.

Kwelz

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2009, 11:41:54 AM »
Kodak makes a series of printers with refills that cost 20 bucks. 

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2009, 11:43:37 AM »
Also, RE: Inkjets -

There are different designs to the print heads.

Epsons typically have a series of micro-tubes going from the ink wells to the permanent print head.  Guess what happens when ink congeals in the tubes?  Yep.  You run a bunch of purges to get it out, wasting your ink supply.  If the head itself gets badly clogged, your printer is dead.

HP's, on the other hand, have print heads directly attached to the ink cartridges.  While this allows for print alignment problems, HP drivers are typically kind enough to include alignment software to take care of this.  The distance from reservoir to print head is shorter, and there is no gasket or air leak to aid in ink drying out.  If a print head does go bad, just buy a new cartridge and voila! you have a new print head, too.

Lasers kick butt compared to inkjets, though... unless you want to print high-resolution color or do fancy graphics on irregular media like CD's.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2009, 11:44:18 AM »
I have an old Canon S900 photo printer, a cheap Brother laser and a Canon MP all in one.  I use the laser most frequently followed by the faxing, scanning, copying and color printing functionality of the Canon MP.  I hardly ever use the Canon S900 anymore, but it still works, so I have no reason to dump it.

That HP color laser all in one looks interesting.  I have had some form of all in one machine for about 10 years now, and boy do they come in handy.  

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2009, 11:45:58 AM »
Check the specs on those, too. HPs are pretty low-cost. Some Brother models are horribly expensive, they need a replaceable $125 drum on a $100 printer.

HP is still pretty much the best plug-it-in-and-print laser, plus the toners are cheap whenever Staples runs an instant savings thing.

Many stores run specials on this little HP, which is 600dpi and fast as hell, actually, for $50-$65.

Disagree.

HP used to be... until their drivers got clogged with bloatware and their lower end consumer grade lasers moved away from PS/PCL compatibility to proprietary language host-based printing (Mac and Linux incompatibility).

I consider Dells to be the best consumer grade laser printers out there right now.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

Kwelz

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2009, 11:50:13 AM »
Dell printers are (or at least used to be) just lexmark printers with a different branding put on them. 

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2009, 11:53:06 AM »
I have a Canon Pixma IP4300 inkjet.  It has been pretty good and was inexpensive at about $80ish a couple years ago.  If I had to buy all of the ink at once, it would set me back about $60, but with all of the colors separated into discrete tanks, I can replace the ones that are out.  I buy singles if I only need one, but if I need two or more colors, I buy a multipack and replace the colors that are out, saving the others till they too are empty.  Even if one color is out, it will let me print B&W, though it does complain.  Performance is good and it works with Mac, Linux, and Windows.

Chris

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2009, 11:57:11 AM »
I have a Canon Pixma IP4300 inkjet.  It has been pretty good and was inexpensive at about $80ish a couple years ago.  If I had to buy all of the ink at once, it would set me back about $60, but with all of the colors separated into discrete tanks, I can replace the ones that are out.  I buy singles if I only need one, but if I need two or more colors, I buy a multipack and replace the colors that are out, saving the others till they too are empty.  Even if one color is out, it will let me print B&W, though it does complain.  Performance is good and it works with Mac, Linux, and Windows.

Chris

The Epson I had and got rid of would not even print black if one of the color tanks was out. That's why it left.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2009, 12:01:19 PM »
Dell printers are (or at least used to be) just lexmark printers with a different branding put on them. 

Used to.

Dell stole several of HP's designers about 3-4 years ago and their recent products have been outstanding.  HP's?  Meh.  Not so much anymore.
--Lysander Spooner

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2009, 12:09:31 PM »
I have had wonderful results with two Samsung desktop laser printers
ML 1710 Laser
SCX-4x21 Laser ("x" is some number)

ML is a printer-only.  Bought for less than $100.  My wife tried to wear it out, replacing the toner 3 or 4 times.  Thousands of pages printed.  Printer is still alive & operable, just needs a new toner, as it has become superfluous since we bought..

SCX-*, which is one of those multi-function jobbies: print, copy, scan, fax.  Bought for less than $200.  Only replaced toner once, so far, but it has been a rock.

Drivers for both are great and they are easy to operate.  Also, they come with linux drivers.

BTW, my wife is in school and prints out all her lecture slides & notes.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2009, 12:13:53 PM »
The absolute best purchase I may have ever made was for this beast:

It's an HP LaserJet 5Si.  It weighs about 200 pounds.  It just barley fits in the backseat of a 1995 Honda Accord, with the front seat pushed all the way forward.  The toner costs $140, and lasts for 15,000 pages.  I bought it used, with 350,000 pages on the internal counter for $35.  I have used it for about 5 years, and have not had to put toner in it yet.

When the toner eventually does run out, I won't hesitate to buy more, even at $140.  It's been a fantastic printer.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2009, 12:19:53 PM »
The absolute best purchase I may have ever made was for this beast:

It's an HP LaserJet 5Si.  It weighs about 200 pounds.  It just barley fits in the backseat of a 1995 Honda Accord, with the front seat pushed all the way forward.  The toner costs $140, and lasts for 15,000 pages.  I bought it used, with 350,000 pages on the internal counter for $35.  I have used it for about 5 years, and have not had to put toner in it yet.

When the toner eventually does run out, I won't hesitate to buy more, even at $140.  It's been a fantastic printer.

The old HP's are workhorses.

Anything with an EX/EX-II/EX+ engine from HP (LJ 4 and 5 series, various models) can be counted on for at least 2 million pages with proper maintenance.

The older SX series engines (HP LJ II and III, Wang, Apple LaserWriter, etc) can be counted on to run until Ragnarok.  Unstoppable.  They only print at about 6 pages a minute and only at 300dpi, but they are almost bomb proof.

My very first IT job was a part time gig in college, rebuilding laser printer fusing assemblies for HP series printers and clones.
--Lysander Spooner

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2009, 12:26:54 PM »
My very first IT job was a part time gig in college, rebuilding laser printer fusing assemblies for HP series printers and clones.

Do you know a good place to get parts for them?  Several of the rubber rollers are drying out on mine, leading to intermittent feeding issues from tray 2.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2009, 12:27:38 PM »
Laserwriter IIg Ethernet printers with the Canon engines will also work forever. Staples even still has toner for them, and they're almost twenty years old! (Plus the toner refills are like $20)...and yes, they support PostScript. It's why they were insanely expensive when introduced.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2009, 12:30:02 PM »
Do you know a good place to get parts for them?  Several of the rubber rollers are drying out on mine, leading to intermittent feeding issues from tray 2.

http://www.printerworks.com/

This was my old parts vendor for the work I did.  Rubber rollers, plastic drive gears, fuser elements, teflon rollers.  They got it all.
--Lysander Spooner

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2009, 12:37:29 PM »
http://www.printerworks.com/

This was my old parts vendor for the work I did.  Rubber rollers, plastic drive gears, fuser elements, teflon rollers.  They got it all.

Thanks!  =D

I'll have to talk to the wife, but they have a $90 kit that looks mighty nice.

My wife, (being a teacher) uses the heck out of that thing.  It would be nice to get both trays feeding again.

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2009, 12:52:23 PM »

I couldn't be happier with my Brother printer. Various family members HPs all got bad rollers, and even after replacing them, they didn't last much longer. The drum on the brother has a life of over 25,000 pages, and the price (for my model anyway) for a new drum is less than half the cost of a new printer. The comparable HP units have the drum in the toner cartridge and the toner cartridges cost more, so after a few toner changes the cost difference between HP & Brother toner/drum replacement is a wash as you're paying extra for the HP drum replacement every time you change the toner.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2009, 01:01:31 PM »
A lot of the companies provide 'starter cartridges' with their printers; they only contain a third to half of the ink of the normal cartridges. 
Yep. In fact, IIRC, HP got sued a number of years ago over this exact issue.

They won, as their ad didn't say "Comes with a FULL ink cartridge" but only that "a" ink cartridge was included.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain