Author Topic: What's with you people?  (Read 8848 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: What's with you people?
« Reply #75 on: March 03, 2007, 03:15:36 PM »
What did I say were the less important things? 

Gramps, I know about three definitions of funky.  One is musical, one is olfactory and the third just means "unusual."  What is this true definition? 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #76 on: March 03, 2007, 03:33:12 PM »
Don't know what definition grampster might be thinking of, but here's the etymology of the word:

"bad smell," 1623, from dial. Fr. funkière "smoke," from O.Fr. fungier "give off smoke," from L. fumigare "to smoke." In reference to a style of music, it is first attested 1959, a back formation of funky. Funky was originally "old, musty" (1784), in reference to cheeses, then "repulsive," but began to develop an approving sense in jazz slang c.1900, probably on the notion of "earthy, strong, deeply felt." Funky also was used early 20c. by white writers in ref. to body odor allegedly peculiar to blacks. The word reached wider popularity c.1954 (e.g. definition in "Time" magazine, Nov. 8, 1954) and in the 1960s acquired a broad slang sense of "fine, stylish, excellent."
http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=funk

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #77 on: March 03, 2007, 04:02:21 PM »
I once read of some fellow recounting his experience on boarding a slave ship.  He said something like, "A great funkie arose from the hold of the ship." 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #78 on: March 04, 2007, 05:30:07 AM »
Well he was banned for some post that mentioned both nipples and a dominatrix; I can see why he'd think that the rules needed a little work.

Also, he was held to a double standard:

Notice how this poster isn't getting banned or even reprimanded for a much more agregious violation of the unwritten rules of decency.

Did you have the 'bikini' poster or the 'tight jeans' poster?  My goodness could she fill out a pair of pants the right way!

Brad
No, the one with the towel.  I liked it better.  Full size image too.  Looked great on the inside of the door.  Cheesy

I never knew she had drug issues.  I was a teenager watching Fall Guy reruns.  We didn't have cable where I grew up so I guess I didn't catch all the gossip.  I think this is it.  shocked

El Tejon doesn't look anything like this.
I had no idea that anyone would find that offensive.  I wasn't making any unsaid references though I guess that could be inferred if you really tried.  I guess I'll try to refrain from posting pictures of attractive women even though I didn't set up the context.  Cheesy 

I may argue with people on the threads, but I learned long ago that taking the internet personally is pointless.  That is one reason it is fun to argue these points on line.  You can see a lot of the arguments and counter arguments.  Seeing or participating in that personally would make it difficult to avoid getting confrontational. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #79 on: March 04, 2007, 05:36:05 AM »
The Simpson's Reference earlier I believe was from the episode where Homer deliberately gained weight so he could work at home.  Got a computer set up at home.  Pretty funny episode, but there were better. 

"Hit any key to proceed."   "Where is the ANYKEY?  Oh, I guess I'll just hit 'Y'."

Several years ago I used to record the Simpson's twice a day on reruns and watch every one.  I could tell you which episode it was within about 3 or 4 seconds of the start.  I don't hardly watch it any more.  No time to watch a bunch of reruns these days.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ron

« Reply #80 on: March 04, 2007, 06:13:35 AM »
I had no idea that anyone would find that offensive.
Don't worry, there is always someone around getting offended by something.

As long as we don't start babes in bikinis threads I don't think an occasional pic in context is rude.

BakerMikeRomeo

« Reply #81 on: March 04, 2007, 09:12:38 AM »
As long as we don't start babes in bikinis threads

[Dick Solomon]DAMN![/Dick Solomon]

~GnSx

Winston Smith

• friends
  • Cheaper than a locksmith
    • My Photography
« Reply #82 on: March 04, 2007, 08:55:10 PM »
Notice how this poster isn't getting banned or even reprimanded for a much more agregious violation of the unwritten rules of decency.

Sorry, but I was being hyperbolic. Of course that picture isn't offensive. By today's standards, you could hang that in church. It's not offensive at all; same as references to nipples and dominatrixes.
Jack
APS #22
I'm eighteen years old. I know everything and I'm invincible.
Right?