Author Topic: What's with everybody wearing Bluetooth headsets?  (Read 1973 times)

Paddy

What's with everybody wearing Bluetooth headsets?
« on: June 15, 2007, 10:34:08 AM »
everywhere they go.  I don't care where you are, be it the grocery store, Home Depot, gas station, etc., there's somebody (at least one) wearing a pod on their ear.  It looks ridiculous, like they're waiting for a message from the mothership or something.

grislyatoms

• friends
Re: What's with everybody wearing Bluetooth headsets?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2007, 10:38:57 AM »
They couldn't pay me to wear one. First time I saw one I made a joke about the Borg invading.

Seems to be the latest fashion statement, in my department, anyway(lots of technophiles).
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2007, 10:42:12 AM »
Because it looks so coooooooool...

(not)

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2007, 10:46:59 AM »
Such things only look cool on people with their skin airbrushed to mannequin flawlessness in an ad, or specially lit on a movie set.

On real people in daylight or overhead lighting in a store, putting a smooth, rounded object against the face only dramatically highlights any flaws or roughness their facial skin might have, making even a young-looking sort's face look like the surface of the moon next to a piece of flawless curved plastic.

So no. They don't look good on people.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2007, 10:50:56 AM »
My wife was issued one with her blackberry from work. She thought it was the coolest thing ever. Fortunately I mocked her for even owning one and she's never worn it in public laugh
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2007, 10:51:54 AM »
they remind me of the bald guy who is Lando Calrissian's assistant at Cloud City...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2007, 10:54:40 AM »

Strings

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2007, 11:29:10 AM »
I have one, and use it regularly. However, if not actively using it for a call, it's either in a pocket or on my shirt collar. 'Bout the only time I leave it attached to my skull is when I'm driving, and expect a call...

matis

• friend
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2007, 11:29:36 AM »
OK, I'll take the other side.

Got my first Bluetooth headset 10 days ago.  Couldn't resist the price: all of $9.95 -- $17.09 with shipping and sales tax -- after a $20 rebate from CompUSA.

Read about 30 reviews of this model first.  Most raved about its features and quality.  But they paid anywhere from $39.95 to $69.95 (!) for theirs.  I'm way too cheap to pay that.   laugh

I love this unit.  I'd never learned to use voice-dial before -- seemed too complicated.

Well, in setting this up to work with the phone, I found that voice-dial was automatically set up as well.  I can't believe the difference!

Instead of fumbling around dialing the phone while driving the truck, or even just answering an incoming call -- all I do now is push the button on the headset, say "dial so and so -- and it calls.  It even has a sexy voice.  To answer a call I just push the button.

The sound is excellent, loud and clear, I can now type while talking -- and this is really the BIGGIE -- I look so COOOOL!!   cool

Cyborg, shmyborg.  After my cataract surgery, with a plastic lens in each eye, I started telling people that I'm a bionic man, anyway.  So what's a pod on my ear with a flashing blue light (every 3 seconds  grin)

I can't wait until the memory implants come out -- you know -- to make up for short-term memory loss?  They'll really clean up with those.

You guys probably still keep your buggy whips, just in case.  grin

matis
Si vis pacem; para bellum.

crt360

• friend
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2007, 11:36:12 AM »
Isn't it funny how the hearing aid makers worked for years to make their devices smaller and less distracting, and now people are going everywhere with these shiny ear dongles like it's totally normal.  I might use one if I talked on my cell phone all the time, but most of the people I see with them aren't even talking to anyone.  I don't have one, yet somehow I don't feel left out.  Next thing you know, bluetooth headsets will be replaced by earplug phones and people will have little antennae poking out of their ears like the robot maid from the Jetsons.  smiley
For entertainment purposes only.

matis

• friend
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2007, 11:41:45 AM »
"Next thing you know, bluetooth headsets will be replaced by earplug phones and people will have little antennae poking out of their ears like the robot maid from the Jetsons.  smiley"

This is probably more prophetic than you realize, crt360!

I'll be first in line for one (if a flesh-and-blood maid comes with it).

matis

Si vis pacem; para bellum.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2007, 11:59:10 AM »
"Next thing you know, bluetooth headsets will be replaced by earplug phones and people will have little antennae poking out of their ears like the robot maid from the Jetsons.  smiley"

This is probably more prophetic than you realize, crt360!

I'll be first in line for one (if a flesh-and-blood maid comes with it).

matis

That'll last right until someone figures out how to be a prankster and cause feedback or error beeps.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2007, 01:02:19 PM »
they remind me of the bald guy who is Lando Calrissian's assistant at Cloud City...

My thoughts as well.  Or Lt. Uhura on ST:TOS
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Strings

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2007, 01:33:47 PM »
Actually, I expect the next "big thing" to be a "phone" that consists of a watch and a headset...

They've already got a bluetooth watch, that works with Sony/Ericson phones (kinda silly, if you ask me)...

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2007, 03:40:51 PM »
Someone once remarked that Bluetooth headsets look like you've got a dildo clipped to your ear.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2007, 05:44:50 PM »
I hate holding phones to my ear.  I like having both hand free.  Thus, even before I had a bluetooth capable cellphone I was using the headset jack on any wireless phone I used.

Not having the wire is nice, I'm less likely to have the headset jerked off because the cable caught on something.

If I'm not using the phone, the headset isn't on my head.

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2007, 08:39:58 AM »
I don't want to be that connected.  I've already got my electronic leash hooked on my belt, I don't need it strapped to my head.

Vodka7

• friend
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2007, 09:37:32 AM »
I don't think Riley is talking about the normal people who put the headset on to take a call, or wear it in the car, or the privacy of their home.

What I've been seeing everywhere lately is people wearing them 100% of the time.  I don't even think about them on the street, but here in Philly it's *impossible* to enter a store in the mall or a fast food joint without everyone behind the counter wearing one.  Come on...  You're working at Wendy's.  There's no way you're even allowed to take phone calls at work, so why is that stupid thing on your face all day?  In case the President calls to congratulate you on a fine job of making cheeseburgers?

Sheesh.

I've got an old fashioned wired headset, one of the stereo jobs that lets me listen to songs on my phone as well.  Slightly more camoflauged, but I still don't feel comfortable wearing it while talking to people.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2007, 11:02:06 AM »
I remember when car phones started getting popular. Some people were actually buying fake phones to put in their car just so they could look cool too.

Not much funnier than a rusty old 1970 Gremlin with a fake car phone antenna and a pimply faced white trash punk acting like he's talking on the phone while cruising the ave.

Come on...  You're working at Wendy's.  There's no way you're even allowed to take phone calls at work, so why is that stupid thing on your face all day? 

Maybe they wear them in place of wired headsets to call orders and such?
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Vodka7

• friend
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2007, 01:52:22 PM »
Come on...  You're working at Wendy's.  There's no way you're even allowed to take phone calls at work, so why is that stupid thing on your face all day? 
Maybe they wear them in place of wired headsets to call orders and such?

These were the cashiers, though, everything they enter in just goes in to the computer and shows up on the screens in the back.  Unfortunately, I had quite a while to observe them, as it took ten minutes from when I ordered my burger and frosty until when it showed up.  And it's not just Wendy's--every low end retail store is the same.

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2007, 01:54:23 PM »
First time I saw one I made a joke about the Borg invading.
grin

I don't have one, but I think they make sense.

garyk/nm

• friend
  • shovelbum
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2007, 04:13:49 PM »
Around here, they've started being more popular due to city laws against using cells while driving. Like that makes any difference. While on a call, your attention is still not where it should be regardless of silly head-dildos.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2007, 05:57:46 PM »
Actually, I expect the next "big thing" to be a "phone" that consists of a watch and a headset...

They've already got a bluetooth watch, that works with Sony/Ericson phones (kinda silly, if you ask me)...

There are several companies developing a Bluetooth watch that will update itself via the time signal from the phone, and also show who's calling, so you don't have to get the phone out of a pocket.

Limited use, though, to me. I don't wear a watch and I don't know anyone who does anymore. We all just use our phones to see what time it is.

mountainclmbr

• friend
  • Sunset, Casa Mountainclmbr
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2007, 03:43:37 PM »
If I am stuck with them talking on those things, like in the grocery line, I sometimes will talk back to their conversation they are imposing on me. "Frogs, I said to get more frogs. Not more of that salad stuff. Just because they are both green does not mean they are the same thing!"
Just say no to Obama, Osama and Chelsea's mama.