Author Topic: Odd comparason- Kahr 9mm, vs Walther PPS vs Keltec 9mm???  (Read 12161 times)

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
Re: Odd comparason- Kahr 9mm, vs Walther PPS vs Keltec 9mm???
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2007, 05:28:32 PM »
The fiancee had a Kahr for a while.  Reliable gun, fit her hands well, but it was a .40 which she didn't like.  Sold it on THR a while ago.

I have a Kel Tec .380 which has never, ever had any problems.  Boringly reliable.  It's a pain to clean it, so I don't.  The gun doesn't seem to mind.  Half a dozen folks I know own other Kel Tec midget handguns.  Never a problem with any of them, either.  The internet rumors of Kel Tec reliability problems are grossly overstated.

They're all good guns.  Buy the one that fits your hand best.

Modifiedbrowning

• friend
  • Best Avatar on APS
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2007, 06:14:54 PM »
Also, Walther has a reputation for poor service

Not since S&W has been importing them. S&W has one of the best warranty departments in the industry.
I have three P99s and have never had any problems with any of them, along with three other Walthers.

Ex-MA Hole, buy the Walther, you know you want to. I will be buying a PPS at some point in the future after I pay off the two pistols I have on layaway right now (one of them is a Walther P-1). I noticed you have posted over at the Walther Forums, my handle over there is Montana Slim.

Give Peace a Chance,
Kill all Terrorists.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2007, 08:20:20 PM »
The only brand I'd consider for pocket carry and competition would be Kahr.

You're not just whistling Dixie there.

I've come really close to buying a Kahr T9 after packing the above K9 for a while.   grin
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Snowdog

• friend
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2007, 09:08:47 PM »
I've been carrying an electroless nickel (factory finish) K9 since around '96 and love the damn thing!  Its compactness and substantial ordnance steel construction is what drew me to the Kahr, but after several thousand rounds of various FMJs, JHPs, JSPs and handloads of just about every powerlevel, the 100% reliability has absolutely won me over. 

True enough, in the beginning I had to send my K9 back to Kahr for "repairs" as I had the K9 fail to return to battery due to some American Ammunition FMJs failing to fully seat and I mistakenly attributed that to an over-tight/out-of-spec chamber.  In my defense, this was back in the mid to late 90's and well before the non-resized crap quality of American Ammo became common knowledge.  Kahr went over the K9, polished up the interior and simply included a note with the K9 asking me not to fire garbage through their product.  Touché Kahr, touché.

I only replaced the recoil spring with a new one (Wolff) after the 3,000 round mark a few years back as a precaution... I suspect it likely would still be working just as well today if still on it's original spring.

This K9 is absolutely controllable even with Winchester's stout 127gr +P+ Rangers, though this didn't come as a surprise as I had already knew the K9 was orginally built around Cor-bon's hot 115gr +P JHP. 
What did come as a surprise was the seemingly match grade accuracy.  I can print tighter groups with this pistol than with my G19, despite the 1/2" barrel difference and shorter site radius. 

Though heavy for its size, the K9 is built exceedingly well.  I can't say as much for Kahr's Polymer series handguns as I've never dealt with one.  However, I simply cannot say enough to exalt the K9!
Hell, the electroless nickel finish still doesn't show any significant wear from the hundreds of draws from the nylon DeSantis promotional belt holster my K9 came with (which I still find an ideal mate to this pistol for daily carry).  My only issue is that my wife has essentially adopted the K9, leaving me to carry the much larger Kimber classic custom 1911 (the only other pistol I'm equally proficient with).  But hey, that's ok... I'm a 1911 guy anyway.

Ryan in Maine

• friend
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2007, 11:18:38 PM »
The only brand I'd consider for pocket carry and competition would be Kahr.

You're not just whistling Dixie there.

I've come really close to buying a Kahr T9 after packing the above K9 for a while.   grin

It's just not "small gun accurate" to me. It matched or out-performed nearly all of the full-size guns in the gravel pit. The guy who owned it could shoot 1.5" groups from a good distance away. I would estimate the distance to be 25 yards. In my opinion that's not a pocket gun. It's a gun that happens to be able to fit in your pocket.

Back to what I came for though... Ex-MA Hole's curiosity of the Walther PPS. The review I referred to earlier is in the February 2008 issue of Combat Handguns. The review is by Rich Grassi. They got 2.25" from 25 yards with CorBon DPX 115's, 4" from 25 yards with Federal HSHP 124's, and 2.75" from 25 yards with Hornady XTP JHP 115's. I would imagine you could greatly improve those numbers with practice to at least 2" groups.

He had Chuck Haggard out with him, and they were very impressed with the Walther PPS. As far as I know, they are still anxiously awaiting holsters for it.  laugh

Sawdust

• friend
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2007, 05:26:23 AM »
My daily carry the past few years has been a Kahr PM9 in a Mika pocket holster.

It has been a great pistol for me and has run flawlessly after breaking it in. I load it with Federal EFMJ.

HTH,

Sawdust
Retain what's coming in; send off what is retreating.

Well, you going to pull those pistols boy,
or just whistle Dixie?

I'm your huckleberry.