Author Topic: Losing one of my little buddies  (Read 4593 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Losing one of my little buddies
« on: December 07, 2009, 01:48:27 AM »
Now it's my turn to cry on everyone's shoulder.  One of my cats, Boomer, will be taking his last ride in the morning. He's been losing weight for a while and has evidenced a slow loss of appetite and general lethargy.  This afternoon he took a rapid downturn.  It's time.

His symtomology is identical to my other cat, Minnie, who I nursed back to health a couple of months ago.  We never figured out why it happened, just that it did.  Exact same thing - significant slow weight loss over the course of 6-8 weeks (Minnie went from 6 lbs down to 3lbs 12 oz. Boomer from 18 lbs down to 10 lbs 14 oz).  In Minnie's case a simple treatment of antibiotic, a round of steroid and B12 to increase her appetite, and regular feedings with high-calorie food put the weight back on in a matter of weeks.  She is now back to full health, tearing around the house like she did as a kitten.

Unfortunately Boomer hasn't responded.  I had to resort to force-feeding him every few hours yesterday and today.  This afternoon he began throwing up everything I fed him and is so weak he can barely stand.  As I type this he's asleep in my recliner.  He's quite and still, but I can see he's in distress.  It's not right for him to suffer so I'm going keep him as comfortable as possible, then take him in at 8 when the vet opens.

He's not all that old as he just turned 11 a few weeks ago (Minnie is going on 15).  I got him as a 3-month old rescue so he's never known any home but this one.  He's never been the big-time snuggler that Minnie is, but he's always there... usually sitting in the middle of the kitchen screaming for another treat or an extra bowl food.  The boy definitely had a set of lungs!

I know it's the way of things but it still hurts to lose "Big Turd" (his knickname, for obvious reasons).

Boomer, in his favorite spot next to me on the recliner.  That's Minnie lounging in my arm.

Thanks for listening.
Brad
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 01:54:10 AM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Unisaw

• friend
Re: Losing one of my little buddies
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 02:06:35 AM »
 =( Brad, very sorry to hear that.  It's great to have pets but it sure hurts when their time is up.  You're doing the right thing to stop his suffering.
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

Physics

• ∇xE=-1/c·∂B/∂t, ∇·E=4πρ, ∇·B=0, ∇xB=1/c·∂E/∂t, F=q(E+v/cxB)
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 02:14:23 AM »
I dread the day I have to do this with my dog.  I'm sorry Brad, that sucks. :'( 
In the world of science, there is physics.  Everything else is stamp collecting.  -Ernest Rutherford

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2009, 02:48:02 AM »
Very sorry to hear it, Brad.

Fjolnirsson

• friends
  • The Anti-Claus
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2009, 03:07:42 AM »
Aw, man. I am sorry to hear that.
Hi.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2009, 05:16:19 AM »
Sorry to hear it Brad
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2009, 06:10:44 AM »
We went thru the same scenario in the Sept/Oct time frame with our 15 year old male tabby cat named Bootzie. He finally passed one eve in Oct while we were away in Arizona. Had a friend staying at our house with the animals while we were at our sons wedding in Tucson. We all felt the pain in his passing but were thankful for the years we had with him. Sorry to hear of your loss. Pets can be a significant part of the family.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2009, 07:27:33 AM »
Sorry to hear of your impending loss, Brad.  My sympathies.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2009, 08:52:05 AM »
Many of us know the feeling, Brad. It hurts. I'm sorry.

BrokenPaw

• friends
  • Sedit qvi timvit ne non svccederet.
    • ShadowGrove Interpath Ministry
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2009, 09:16:47 AM »
You have my sympathies, Brad.  Putting my Griffon down was the hardest thing I ever had to do.  Boomer's lucky to have had the time he had with you, and that you care enough about him to do what's right for him.

-BP
Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2009, 10:25:24 AM »
RIP Boomer :angel:.  Both my Suzies will be looking for you.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2009, 10:52:02 AM »
My sympathies.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2009, 11:02:47 AM »
I'm sorry Brad. Take comfort in knowing that you are doing the right thing.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2009, 11:05:12 AM »
"When the short time I have has come to an end,
I know you'll be there, for you are my friend.
You will not let me suffer, for your love is so true,
And you'll know in your heart, it's the right thing to do.
So please don’t feel guilty, when you must let me go,
I never will blame you, for loving me so."

Short excerpt Steve Bateman (2006) 'zellaswolf'

Sorry for your loss, Brad.  =(
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2009, 12:04:01 PM »
It's done.  He's at rest now. 

This morning was really bad.  He couldn't stand without assistance and was tottering around and meowing like he didn't know where he was.  Not even being wrapped in his favorite towel and given chin rubs could calm him down.  The vet says it was probably a combination of uremic poisoning and a possible stroke.  We still have no idea what caused all this.

Damn.

I supposed if there's any good to be seen it's that Minnie is back to full health.  Boomer was a good cat, and an unending source of amusement due to his clueless nature (Kathy says I should have named him "Duh"), but he was always a little aloof.  Minnie, on the other hand, is, well... actually I'm hers.  I don't go anywhere in the house that she's not right there, leaning on my leg, curled up in my lap, or laying on the back of the chair behind me with her paw resting on the top of my head, and always purring loudly.  Whe she goes it will be very, very bad for a long time.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2009, 12:27:42 PM »
I lost my 10-month old Maine Coone to Feline Infectious Peritonitis. He was the best dog I ever had, IMHO. 

That drive to the vet to accomplish the deed is guaranteed to make even the most stout of heart question "why?"

My sincere condolences, Brad.
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2009, 01:48:31 PM »
 =(
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2009, 02:03:30 PM »
Sorry Brad...  =(
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2009, 02:11:12 PM »
Sounds like the furball had a life full of love from you (and you had his love for a long time). It was the right thing to do. That doesn't make it easier =(.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2009, 02:22:38 PM »
Sorry Brad.

Loosing a good pet is the worst.
One day at a time.

tincat2

« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2009, 03:46:17 PM »
they are such a gift when they are with us, losing them tears a piece of us away. that you have cared remains unalterable in the universe of options which is our lot-Boomer and you will always be. my sincere condolences.

Chrissy

• MySpace page
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2009, 04:20:39 PM »
Awww....Brad, please add my condolences to everyone else's here in this thread.  I've had many animals over the years and been down this same road countless numbers of times.  It never gets any easier the more you go through it.  =(  Only advice I can offer is take the time to mourn and heal.  There will definitely be an adjustment period.  Just know that you gave Boomer a great life while he was here.  I do animal boarding, so animals are a huge part of my daily life - all kinds from dogs to cats to horses, gerbils, etc.  So not only do I have to deal with my own pets passing, but many of my clients' animals as well when their time comes too.  And believe me, I get attached to all of them so it's not easy and I know what you're going through.  :-(  Hang in there, Brad, and remember Boomer with smiles.  He's at peace now and you did the right thing.   

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2009, 04:31:44 PM »
Sorry to hear about your cat.  I know how you feel as I have been there several times the last 5 years.  My three Siamese were cremated and their ashes reside in my nightstand.  When my time comes, their ashes will be mixed with mine.  There are a lot of kitties out there in shelters that need a good home.  When you feel like it, look to see what they have.  One might speak to you.....chris3

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2009, 06:19:55 PM »
Brad,

I'm sorry.  I've been there myself, most recently last summer with a cat I'd had for over 18 years.  It never gets easier.  You know you're doing what is best, but it still sucks. 
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

PTK

• friends
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2009, 06:23:58 PM »
Being able to feel loss like this is what makes us human. I'm sorry to hear that you're losing one of your cats, it's never easy.  =(
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."