Author Topic: I'm still into guns, but I've now sold three in three years  (Read 3606 times)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
I'm still into guns, but I've now sold three in three years
« on: April 21, 2012, 06:29:56 PM »
There was a time when I wanted as many guns as I could possibly have, although I didn't have the money to do so (or, more specifically, I would have needed to spend money on guns instead of cars, bikes, etc).

In 2009 I sold my NIB nickel Python for $2500 to buy chrome wheels and wide tires for my car (and had $$$ left over).

Last year I sold my Century Arms fake HK91 (I had it looking really good) to buy some switchblades.

Today I put my 2002 Kimber Eclipse Target on Gunbroker. I got it new from a local gun store in exchange for building their website. It was such a nice-looking gun, though, that I only shot it three times. It's been sitting in the safe ever since. I figure I can get $900 to $975 for it, which will just about pay for a Fender American Standard Stratocaster I just ordered.

I still have guns I won't sell, and I'm getting down to just those. I guess having guns I won't shoot doesn't mean that much anymore.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
Re: I'm still into guns, but I've now sold three in three years
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 06:39:25 PM »
Sounds like me....I have a gun or two that I could sell, but the rest are strictly keepers due to how I got them (given by family). I may acquire few more, but I don't really have the drive to "buy 'em all" like I used to....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2012, 06:52:35 PM »
Same here.  At the gun show last night, I walked by a very good deal on a S&W M28 4" because not only am I not a fan of the 357mag, I'd rather spend more time shooting the guns I have now.  

I'm not saying I won't buy any more guns, but I'm beyond accumulating random guns.  

Chris
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 07:36:48 AM by mtnbkr »

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2012, 07:40:54 PM »
My habits have changed over the past couple of years, too.  Originally it was "1) this is a gun, 2) I can afford it, 3) Mine!"  Hard times forced me to sell off everything except the one heirloom .22 I had and a Sig P6.

Now it's 1) Save for a year+, 2) Buy/build exactly what I want, 3) Have an accurate, reliable weapon that I don't ever want to get rid of.  Life was also made a lot easier when I made myself the rule of only .22, 9mm, .45, .223/5.56, and .308.  Actually, been thinking about further consolidation including phasing out .45 and/or standardizing on certain platforms (Glock, AR).
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2012, 09:12:35 PM »
I'm about to enter another round of gun sales my owbn self.  I have a number I just never shoot that have no particular sentimental value or SHTF use.  Mostly I want to fund a nice over-under 12ga for upland game.

Stetson

• friends
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2012, 09:15:12 PM »
I just want a tube fed .22, I have everything else I need for now.

I want the .22 for my daughter for when she's older....and for me too to practice with.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2012, 10:09:34 PM »

I still have guns I won't sell, and I'm getting down to just those. I guess having guns I won't shoot doesn't mean that much anymore.

Any more I'm not too sentimental about them.  If it doesn't work well, and I have no other reason to hold onto it, it's trade fodder.  If the count goes down, but the quality improves, I'm happy.

Hard times forced me to sell off everything except the one heirloom .22 I had and a Sig P6.

I'm not there yet, but I can easily see it happening.  And I'm one that hates the "what one gun" threads.  (It'd probably be the Glock, once fitted with a land-and-groove barrel, as something that could be pressed into the most uses.)

Life was also made a lot easier when I made myself the rule of only .22, 9mm, .45, .223/5.56, and .308.  Actually, been thinking about further consolidation including phasing out .45 and/or standardizing on certain platforms (Glock, AR).

Though the details differ, we think alike.

In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2012, 10:10:08 PM »
I just want a tube fed .22, I have everything else I need for now.

I want the .22 for my daughter for when she's older....and for me too to practice with.

I have similar plans.  I want to find a nice Marlin 60 or two for my girls.  Of course, I'll have to test them both. :)

Chris

Lee

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2012, 12:45:23 AM »
Same here...shifting priorities and desires.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2012, 12:48:20 AM »
I've switched from shooting steel and IDPA and gotten into a lot more big game hunting so I've traded stuff.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2012, 02:31:33 AM »
I have similar plans.  I want to find a nice Marlin 60 or two for my girls.  Of course, I'll have to test them both. :)

Chris
The Marlin 60 is a great plinking  gun!
I have one that is probably 20 years or so, and it shoots great.
You can't beat a Ruger 10/22, though!
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2012, 06:05:40 AM »
The Marlin 60 is a great plinking  gun!
I have one that is probably 20 years or so, and it shoots great.
You can't beat a Ruger 10/22, though!

I had a 10/22.  Because I like to tinker, I took it from a bone stock rifle to a tack driving bench gun too heavy for children or field use. 

I like the M60 because of its simplicity and because that's what I started with as a kid.  Nostalgia and all that. :)

Chris

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2012, 11:05:48 AM »
Tube fed rifles do present a couple of safety challenges however, they're a little more difficult to make certain they're clear, for example.  You have to cycle the action several times to make sure there's not a round in the carrier that could inadvertently be chambered, even if the plunger is removed and the tube empties. (We run across problems like this at Appleseed - had a negligent discharge this weekend due to this exact problem.  Kid thought he had cleared the rifle, an instructor checked it, plunger was out, chamber flag in, etc, but during the next prep period, when we dry practice, a round that was already in the carrier (and not obviously visible) was chambered when the action was closed.  Hearing "bang" when you were expecting "click" is *really* distressing.  Thankfully all the other safety rules were being followed, and the kid actually hit the sighter square we were working on pretty much dead center.... :)
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2012, 11:58:22 AM »
I had a 10/22.  Because I like to tinker, I took it from a bone stock rifle to a tack driving bench gun too heavy for children or field use. 

I like the M60 because of its simplicity and because that's what I started with as a kid.  Nostalgia and all that. :)

Chris
No doubt about the nostalgia!
When I showed mine to my 9 y/o son, I had to show him the loading port.
He was impressed! It is kind of neat, I will admit!
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2012, 12:08:25 PM »
Marlin makes a removable magazine fed bolt action .22 rifle.

(also a tube feed model)

There should be a lot of them around used.

I really don't see the point in a semi-auto for marksmanship practice.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2012, 12:51:50 PM »

It's not about marksmanship practice, it's all about good ol' fashioned chasin' a can plinkin'.  A high capacity tube fed 22 like the Marlin 60 is perfect for that.  I can't imagine a better way for dad and kids to spend an afternoon. :)

Chris

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2012, 01:20:03 PM »

Less time working the bolt; more time working the trigger. That said, I believe in using whichever gun makes you happy.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2012, 01:23:35 PM »
Less time working the bolt; more time working the trigger. That said, I believe in using whichever gun makes you happy.

My observation is most people spend less time using the sights and more time pulling the trigger.

You can miss really fast that way  :lol:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2012, 01:52:57 PM »
Don't you guys just plink for fun?  You don't toss an old bean can out into a field and see how fast you can chase it out of range?

Y So Serious? ;)

Chris

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2012, 02:21:19 PM »
Plinking is a lot more fun when you can hit the target....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2012, 02:21:42 PM »
Don't you guys just plink for fun?  You don't toss an old bean can out into a field and see how fast you can chase it out of range?

Y So Serious? ;)

Chris

I do, its fun to chase a popcan from 10 yards to 50 yards.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2012, 02:26:38 PM »
Don't you guys just plink for fun?  You don't toss an old bean can out into a field and see how fast you can chase it out of range?

Y So Serious? ;)

Chris

When you don't have a beanfield, you find yourself at a pay-by-the-hour joint. Shooting gets much less fun. :(

I know the old saw is that kids learn better when they only have one shot at a time. As an adult, I find it less distracting to have a self-loader and just keep working on the fundamentals without stopping to reciprocate the bolt every time.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 02:29:44 PM by wishes he was a fistful »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2012, 02:41:52 PM »
As a youngster, I definitely shot better with a single shot rifle than with the 10/22.  I liked the single shot Savage because it was easier to carry around in the woods.

My brother came down with his family last weekend we shot at the range.  My nephew is a teenager, but he seems to like my Marlin 39A a lot.  He started shooting it and was reloading every time I turned around.  They have come down a few times over the last couple months.  His wife and kids are getting to where they aren't scared of the big stuff either.  My nephew shot my Dad's Armscor M14 also.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2012, 03:12:34 PM »

Y So Serious? ;)

Chris

Gophers ;)

It's more fun if the target is already moving  :P

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2012, 03:25:57 PM »
As for selling guns, I don't think I have ever sold a gun to fund buying anything but other guns.  It was always a safe queen that I didn't shoot and didn't care to keep around.  I have been dragging my feet on posting 2 or 3 for sale on line.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge