Author Topic: I'm still into guns, but I've now sold three in three years  (Read 3607 times)

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: I'm still into guns, but I've now sold three in three years
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2012, 03:36:38 PM »
I have never sold a gun.

I expect my children/grandchildren to get them.

There will probably come a time when I start giving them away just to make the estate process simpler.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2012, 03:41:46 PM »
There will probably come a time when I start giving them away just to make the estate process simpler.

<perks ears>

You know Tallpine, I've always liked you. You really help make this place respectable.

... is he buying it?
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2012, 03:45:55 PM »
Plinking is a lot more fun when you can hit the target....
You can work on both at the same time.  Keeping the can moving is motivation for learning how to shoot, at least it was for me.  I never saw the utility in handing a kid a gun and running them through a regimented shooting session.  Best to let them have fun and let the desire to hit the noisy, moving target (tin can, not a cat or liberal) be the motivator.

When you don't have a beanfield, you find yourself at a pay-by-the-hour joint. Shooting gets much less fun. :(
I don't have a beanfield either.  I do my plinking at deer camp and less often at certain relatives' houses who have land out in the country.  Otherwise, I shoot steel plates at the local IWLA.  Not as much fun as a tin can, but better than paper.

Gophers ;)

It's more fun if the target is already moving  :P

We have a dearth of shootable gophers here in the Mid Atlantic. ;)

Chris

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2012, 03:50:02 PM »
<perks ears>

You know Tallpine, I've always liked you. You really help make this place respectable.

... is he buying it?

Do you think that I slept with your mother  ???

:P
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2012, 03:51:49 PM »
I have never sold a gun.

I expect my children/grandchildren to get them.

I considered that, but I decided it was better to set aside "special" guns for my kids rather than trying to maintain a large collection.  Even so, they're going to each have a decent collection if I never buy another one.  I have for each: 2 22lr revolvers, 2 32 revolvers (one vintage 32SWL and another vintage 32-20), 2 38s (K38 Masterpiece, and a nearly NIB 10-7), and 2 44mags (Redhawk and 629). I only have one rifle, so I'll need to add another one at some point.  I have plenty of shotguns for them as well.

Three things I try to do with my guns for their benefit: I don't buy trash and I try to get the gear to reload for each caliber and have some ammo set aside that won't be shot.  That way, along with each gun goes some ammo (especially nice for the two 32s) and the tools to load more.  Finally, I make sure I've used them so they're not just guns "dad bought", but guns "dad used and cherished".  That's another reason I let some go, I just don't care about them.  The ones I have now have meaning to me and I hope that translates to meaning for my kids.

Chris

Pharmacology

• friends
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2012, 04:58:47 PM »
I've been trying to find a buyer for the Norinco 213  that I picked up on impulse, and it's proving difficult.

It's a fun little gun, but I don't really have any use for it.  That and I get tired of the hammer bite (big mitts) after about 150 rounds.