Author Topic: Bought a dashcam for the car  (Read 4972 times)

dogmush

• friend
Re: Bought a dashcam for the car
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2015, 02:11:37 PM »
I just put a dashcam in  my truck, for insurance and "just because".

I do have a question for the professional paranoid here though:

My dashcam has a second camera, supposedly for a rear view. Currently that camera is in the cab while I think about it. I could put it in the rear window facing aft. Or I could put it over on the passenger side facing port. Recording, say, anyone I might be talking to through the driver side window. It's FOV is good enough at that angle it would capture everything from the seat and center console to the top of the window.

What do you guys think? I will likely never need a recording, but which view would you rather have and not need?

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2015, 03:39:53 PM »
I'd go for recording whoever is talking at you through the driver's window,

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2016, 04:29:07 PM »
Follow up - after 6 months the unit is still working perfectly.  Many miles of gravel road.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2016, 04:55:41 PM »
Oh, and ours are tied into their own GPS system.  Pins down the locale of the event for us.  And graphs the g-forces over 3 axes.  And speed.  etc.

But does it throw a temper tantrum if it exceeds some (ridiculously low) preset force?  Company I did some contracting for had ripped those out of their fleet, because any time they had to go down a dirt road they'd have to listen to the stupid thing beeping until they got back to the shop to get it reset.  There were a few dips around town that would trigger it even at 10mph.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2016, 07:42:27 PM »
But does it throw a temper tantrum if it exceeds some (ridiculously low) preset force?  Company I did some contracting for had ripped those out of their fleet, because any time they had to go down a dirt road they'd have to listen to the stupid thing beeping until they got back to the shop to get it reset.  There were a few dips around town that would trigger it even at 10mph.

Nope.  We have ours set at 1.5Gs and we are able to set that wherever we like.  Also, they do not beep. There are leds that indicate its status, though.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2017, 02:17:16 PM »
Necro update - after over a year and a half, still working perfectly.