Author Topic: Canadian sniper breaks world record for longest confirmed kill shot  (Read 3348 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Canadian sniper breaks world record for longest confirmed kill shot
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2017, 09:09:02 AM »
Good point - it wouldn't surprise me if there are all sorts of asinine restrictions imposed on our troops.

Bureaucracy rules these days. IIRC, in his book American Sniper, Chris Kyle wrote that he had to fill out paperwork for EVERY shot he took - in combat!  :facepalm:
A co-worker's son was in Iraq doing convoy guard duty some years back.  The story was he was riding shotgun with a SAW in one of the big trucks.  At one point a few jihadi types drove up them and started shooting.  They were right in front of the truck shooting up and bullets were coming through the windshield and going out the roof.  He essentially emptied the 100 round SAW belt down into the vehicle until no one was firing back.  He said afterward he was grilled for nearly 12 hours by his own officers about the incident who kept asking him why he fired so many rounds. 

That story pisses me off the more I think about it.  1) green troops with no personal combat experience simply cannot be expected to do everything like a seasoned veteran their first time in a fire fight.  2) Apparently these officers had so little real work to do that they had time to question him over the incident for so many hours.  The time might be exaggerated, but it is still too long.  I really wonder if half the PTSD our troops experience after serving overseas has less to do with the actual combat and crap they see than worrying about their own leadership and military bureaucracy. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2017, 09:13:13 AM »
You REMFs don't even understand. Snipers are taught to shove the rifle forward, as they pull the trigger, to make the bullet hit that much harder. Its an old SEEL trick.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2017, 09:30:46 AM »
Watched this video last night. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b658zDEXZUk

Group of guys shooting 4210 yards.  Looks like it was an all-day affair with multiple spotters, computers, and a lot of shots to produce a hit.  Why point it out?  Sniper in the OP pulled it off without all of the support, with far fewer shots.  Just posting to show how impressive the shot was.

Now, if he could have snuck in another 2500 meters or so, he could have used a handgun...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJ3XwizTqDw

I highly doubt that the Canadian sniper made the hit from a cold bore with one shot.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2017, 04:22:15 PM »
I really wonder if half the PTSD our troops experience after serving overseas has less to do with the actual combat and crap they see than worrying about their own leadership and military bureaucracy. 

I certainly don't claim any PTSD but a contributing factor to me getting out after 12 years was the bureaucratic bullshit we had to deal with.
Some of the stupidity was epic. If I was troubleshooting a piece of equipment and had a blown fuse I had to req fuses one at a time with a separate order for each one and could only submit one req at a time and then wait for the supply weanies to get around to filling the order. Same for miniature lamps. Even had one Storekeeper try to issue zip ties individually per Supply Officers instructions.
Couldn't order a box of pens, had to get them individually.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2017, 04:58:14 PM »
I highly doubt that the Canadian sniper made the hit from a cold bore with one shot.

He could have brought some cold with him, from back home in Nunavut.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2017, 11:11:20 PM »
I certainly don't claim any PTSD but a contributing factor to me getting out after 12 years was the bureaucratic bullshit we had to deal with.
Some of the stupidity was epic. If I was troubleshooting a piece of equipment and had a blown fuse I had to req fuses one at a time with a separate order for each one and could only submit one req at a time and then wait for the supply weanies to get around to filling the order. Same for miniature lamps. Even had one Storekeeper try to issue zip ties individually per Supply Officers instructions.
Couldn't order a box of pens, had to get them individually.

Civvies, too. True story, I swear.

I ordered a dozen 10ft steel tape measures once because people coming into the lab would borrow mine and that was the last I would see of it.

Got challenged by the purchasing department, as in "Why do you need a dozen ten-foot tape measures?"

Smartassed me answered because I needed to measure 120 feet.

After explaining it a little better we finally settled on 6 of them.  It was about 18 months before I was down to my last one.

Probably saved the company >200 bucks in terms of the personnel cost of ordering them one at a time and the cost of me running around trying to find who had stolen mine, etc.

Well, all true except for the smartassed remark about 120 feet.  That didn't occur to me until later, as in "I shoulda said...."  :facepalm:

Terry
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.