Author Topic: Bad luck buying hard drives  (Read 1971 times)

zxcvbob

• friend
Bad luck buying hard drives
« on: January 31, 2020, 01:25:13 AM »
I bought a refurbished 2TB 5900 RPM Seagate drive from Amazon; Amazon was the seller, not a third party supplier.  I got refurbished instead of new because the new drives were Amazon Marketplace.  When it got here and I plugged it in, first it made loud scraping noises as it spun up.  Then it showed up in Disk Management as a 4GB 7200 RPM drive (I doubt they ever made a drive with that configuration) and the SMART data was not accessible.  I downloaded Seagate Seatools (which also said 4GB) and ran its diagnostics and the drive failed immediately.  I sent it back to Amazon and gave a bad review.

Then I ordered a IBM Ultrastar 2TB drive from gohardrives.com.  It's not clear from the listing whether it's a refurbished drive or new old stock (IBM got out of the HDD business a few years ago) but I think it's new.  It got here today.  Manufactured in 2011.  I plug it in, and it spins up and starts clicking (but not very loud) and it gets hot.  The computer doesn't even know it's there (I tried both Windows and Linux.)  I tried both a USB to SATA adapter and installing the drive internally and it acts the same both ways.  I emailed GHD and they've already sent me an RMA number and a prepaid shipping label.  I fully expect the replacement drive they send me to be DOA.

If the Seagate drive and the IBM drive acted the same way I'd suspect my computer BIOS (it is set to IDE emulation, btw).  I will try the next drive in several different machines.

Just a run of bad luck, or am I overlooking something?  Or maybe I shouldn't expect sub-$50 HDD's to work.
"It's good, though..."

cordex

• Administrator
Re: Bad luck buying hard drives
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2020, 05:34:39 AM »
Hard drives are something I always recommend buying new. I also like to stick with HGST or Western Digital for spinning platter drives. Seagate has a long history of high AFR. I don’t have much experience with IBM drives but that one sounds like a server drive with lots of hours.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2020, 09:06:02 AM »
I agree with Cordex. Hard drives I'd get new. I prefer Western Digital and get them from Newegg.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2020, 10:27:15 AM »
Another vote for new.

On something like a computer where refurbishment usually means they swapped in whole, unmolested parts, I've no problem. I have a couple of refurb Dells from the outlet store now. On something like a hard drive where any refurbishment other than maybe reflowing a couple solder joints means cracking the case, I'm out. New drives are cheap. WD 2tb Blue, $50. Red, $79. Black, $113. Gold, $115. Ultrastar, $122.

A final aside... I'm inferring from your choice of drive that your data is critical enough to require enterprise-level drive reliability. If so, words/phrases like "refurbished" and "new old stock" shouldn't even be in your vocabulary.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2020, 10:31:37 AM »
Then I ordered a IBM Ultrastar 2TB drive from gohardrives.com.  It's not clear from the listing whether it's a refurbished drive or new old stock (IBM got out of the HDD business a few years ago) but I think it's new.  It got here today.  Manufactured in 2011.

2011? IBM sold off their HDD division to Hitachi in 2003
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2020, 10:36:51 AM »
Western Digital

Skip the Western Digital Green drives.

words/phrases like "refurbished" and "new old stock" shouldn't even be in your vocabulary.

I've seen refurb computers come with drives that are way old, and (surprise!) the HD failed "prematurely".   
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2020, 10:39:19 AM »
And forgot to say before hitting enter.
HDDs are a crap shoot even when new and I would generally avoid refubs in their case. Equipment can be replaced, data far too often can not.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2020, 10:41:11 AM »
Skip the Western Digital Green drives.

Their platter system isn't too bad but their boards often just roll over and die without warning. Often you can order a replacement controller board for ~$20-$30 if you need to get data off of one
- Calvin and Hobbes

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2020, 10:45:39 AM »
IBM sold off their HDD division to Hitachi in 2003

I knew they sold it off but didn't remember exactly when.  It's interesting that this disk is still branded IBM.

A final aside... I'm inferring from your choice of drive that your data is critical enough to require enterprise-level drive reliability. If so, words/phrases like "refurbished" and "new old stock" shouldn't even be in your vocabulary.

I don't need enterprise-level reliability.  I bought it because it was cheap.  At least right now there is no important data on this machine.  I'm interested in cheap and reliable, and don't care much about speed.  (that's why I started with a Seagate drive, 5900 RPM should run cooler and quieter than 7200)

I opened the case on this machine for the first time yesterday and was surprised that it has a 2.5 inch drive (in a 3.5 drive bay) instead of a 3.5".  It might make sense to put a small SSD in for a boot drive — I won't need a mounting adapter — and a platter drive in the 2nd drive bay to store data.
"It's good, though..."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2020, 10:53:46 AM »
I knew they sold it off but didn't remember exactly when.  It's interesting that this disk is still branded IBM.

IIRC they started sporting Hitachi labeling almost immediately after that. Makes me wonder if someone is playing around with labels. 2011-12 is when the Hitachi HDD division was split up between WD and Toshiba  
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 09:07:42 PM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2020, 10:58:21 AM »
I thought IBM still had IBM-branded but Hitachi-made hard drives for some years afterwards. Deal they worked out with Hitachi.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2020, 11:02:24 AM »
I thought IBM still had IBM-branded but Hitachi-made hard drives for some years afterwards. Deal they worked out with Hitachi.

Could be fuzzy memory and all but I seem to remember replacement HDDs for Thinkpads started sporting Hitachi Travelstar labels around that time. Could have been different for 2.5s vs 3.5s I don't remember.

And on further thought 2011 could be the refub and/or recert and not the manufacture date
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2020, 11:11:09 AM »
I for one am glad to finally see some movement away from the blasted things to SSDs. SSDs 1T and under are fairly cheap now. Once larger sizes drop in price, and they should pretty rapidity if current trends continue, bye bye HDDs
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2020, 11:30:25 AM »
My first HDD was 5.25 Seagate ST-225R connected connected by cables to an ST-11R controller. A whole whopping 20mb, thought I would never run out space. I've got single photos larger than that entire HDD now.
- Calvin and Hobbes

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2020, 11:45:14 AM »
Same 20mb for me, but as a full height 5.25" drive that was card-mounted and required a full length ISA slot (8bit, had to rock the latest and best, don'cha know...).

http://www.radioshackcatalogs.com/html/1988/h177.html

Remember to park the heads before powering down the machine.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2020, 11:54:56 AM »
Same 20mb for me, but as a full height 5.25" drive that was card-mounted and required a full length ISA slot (8bit, had to rock the latest and best, don'cha know...).

Brad

$800 in 1988 = $1,737.78 in today's dollars according to an inflation calc.
Think about for a moment, $1,737.78 for 20mb.
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2020, 11:57:49 AM »
Almost afraid to run this through an inflation calc. Not sure what year, maybe 1980 based on when the company was around.

- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2020, 12:03:44 PM »
And if you want to go back to 1956 here's what 5mb looked like. Price, millions
Could you imagine their reaction to a $25 ($2.67 in 1956 dollars!) 256gb USB stick?

« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 12:19:24 PM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2020, 01:11:51 PM »
I knew they sold it off but didn't remember exactly when.  It's interesting that this disk is still branded IBM.

I don't need enterprise-level reliability.  I bought it because it was cheap.  At least right now there is no important data on this machine.  I'm interested in cheap and reliable, and don't care much about speed.  (that's why I started with a Seagate drive, 5900 RPM should run cooler and quieter than 7200)

I opened the case on this machine for the first time yesterday and was surprised that it has a 2.5 inch drive (in a 3.5 drive bay) instead of a 3.5".  It might make sense to put a small SSD in for a boot drive — I won't need a mounting adapter — and a platter drive in the 2nd drive bay to store data.

In the parts cabinet at the shop I don't even think we have an 3.5 drives any more.

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2020, 01:16:12 PM »
My first HDD was 5.25 Seagate ST-225R connected connected by cables to an ST-11R controller. A whole whopping 20mb, thought I would never run out space. I've got single photos larger than that entire HDD now.

When I started in the field in 1991, those were extremely common to see.  Not new at that time, but extremely common.

2 or 3 years ago I had a customer hand me a defunct Seagate MFM drive.  Full height 5.25, I think 10 megabyte capacity.  It had come out of one of his CNC machines.

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2020, 01:17:35 PM »

Brad

I remember those.  HD with controller on an 8 bit ISA bus card.  Oh, what were those called????

--edit to add--

"Hardcard"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardcard

« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 01:34:10 PM by lee n. field »

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2020, 01:23:54 PM »
I remember those.  HD with controller on an 8 bit ISA bus card.  Oh, what were those called????

Hardcard
Hardpack
Drivecard
Easycard
Slot Machine
& some others depending on who made it
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2020, 01:29:15 PM »
This ring a bell with some old time computers users?
debug g=c800:e

I can't remember what I had for lunch but the crap from the 80s I'm remembering  :old:
- Calvin and Hobbes

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2020, 01:35:34 PM »
This ring a bell with some old time computers users?
debug g=c800:e

I can't remember what I had for lunch but the crap from the 80s I'm remembering  :old:

Zenith computers had a hotkey combo that would drop you into a BIOS based monitor program, that would let you do a lot of that kind of stuff.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2020, 01:42:37 PM »
Another vote for HGST. Toshiba if you can find it.

As always the Blackblaze statistics are useful.

https://www.backblaze.com/b2/hard-drive-test-data.html

I promise not to duck.