Author Topic: Bad luck buying hard drives  (Read 1970 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Bad luck buying hard drives
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2020, 01:44:44 PM »
This ring a bell with some old time computers users?
debug g=c800:e

I can't remember what I had for lunch but the crap from the 80s I'm remembering  :old:

Loss of short term memory is one of the signs of advancing ...

What were we talking about?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2020, 01:48:22 PM »
Loss of short term memory is one of the signs of advancing ...

What were we talking about?

They say your memory is the second thing to go. Can't remember what the first one was.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2020, 02:48:20 PM »
"Almost afraid to run this through an inflation calc."

Roughly $10,600 in today's money.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2020, 08:56:19 PM »
Hard drives are something I always recommend buying new. I also like to stick with HGST or Western Digital for spinning platter drives. Seagate has a long history of high AFR. I don’t have much experience with IBM drives but that one sounds like a server drive with lots of hours.

I emailed the seller; asked them whether the drives were new, used (pulled and untested), or refurbished.  Since the description didn't say, I'd assumed they were new even tho' they were an old model.  They said that's right, they're new old stock OEM drives.  Still in the original sealed antistatic bags.  They are going to test the replacement drive before they send it out.  And if that doesn't work, I'll just write it off as a learning experience and buy a retail drive from Best Buy or Newegg (not Newegg Marketplace)
"It's good, though..."

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2020, 10:25:41 PM »
Replacement drive [made by HGST] got here today.  The seller said they tested this one, and it has no bad sectors.  I plugged it in and the computer recognized it immediately.  It's also quieter than the previous one.  I ran a couple of quick read tests on it and it passed.  SMART data looks okay.  It's running an extended self-test right now (been running for over two hours) and the temperature is stable at 40℃.  I don't know what the upper temperature range is on these, it's an "enterprise" drive so probably pretty high but maybe not as high as a DVR drive (I think some of those are good up to 75℃.)

"It's good, though..."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2020, 08:48:48 AM »
25-40C is fine
41-50 still okay but a bit warm
>50 is too hot

Opinion varies a bit on that though

Many drives will spike higher after heavy use but should settle back down <50. If not a HDD fan may be in order. Many business class and gamer PCs come with one already installed.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2020, 09:02:47 AM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes